Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Pretty much decided to get a MacPro, do you experience people think getting the Applecare along with it is worth it? I am most likely getting the quad macpro and the Apple care cost around $200 for it. For those who have bought it in the past, do you find this really worth getting along with the system and why or was it just a waste of money?

Thank you.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
Yes, electronics, no matter who makes them, fail. This covers your expensive investment. Mine was worth every penny.

slpdLoad

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2009
Yes. Your Mac is going to last much longer than the (1) year that your standard warranty covers. Better safe than sorry - once you've had to use it one time you'll never buy another machine without it.

Plus, it gets you really good customer support. Even if there's nothing wrong, you can call up AppleCare to get support about any aspect of your machine or operating system.

Cynicalone

macrumors 68040
Jul 9, 2008
Okie land
As I've said in other threads about this... I get it for the peace of mind. You might never need it, but when you do you'll be glad you have it.

RobZ1

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2009
Applecare

This is a must with most electronics......Apple care has saved me from expensive situations

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
Yes. :D Apple's repair costs are really high, and the Apple care is cheap by a fair margin.

The logic board for example, has held at ~$800 for the previous model, and now with the daughter board design, is likely more when you combine the parts (logic board + daughter board). Not inexpensive at all. :(

stormtroopar

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
Thank you for all the responses. Its helpful to hear from people's experiences. Sounds like it would be worth it to have. I think I will get it then with my new system.

srichart1

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2007
Florida
AppleCare

It is worth it without a doubt on ANY Mac. I have used it every time, some times more than once.

Pretty much decided to get a MacPro, do you experience people think getting the Applecare along with it is worth it? I am most likely getting the quad macpro and the Apple care cost around $200 for it. For those who have bought it in the past, do you find this really worth getting along with the system and why or was it just a waste of money?

Thank you.

sommls

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2008
For a desktop with a record of reliability, I think not. Particularly if you buy with an AmEx card (doubles basic manufacturer warranty to two years). If it hasn't failed after the first couple, unless it is a G5 with a coolant leak, there is a very strong chance it will go on forever.

Harder to repair, high strung laptops are a different matter. My MBP had an optical drive failure 2 years out and I saved myself one episode of taking it apart with AppleCare. However, the HDD failure at 2 years 9 months was a different matter. Apple would only replace an 80 gig HD with an identical model, which was still available. For $90, it was a no brainer to upgrade to 320 gig and do it myself.

thegoldenmackid

macrumors 604
Dec 29, 2006
dallas, texas
I would get it still. While failures are still rather limited and things like hard drives can be replaced easily. But like someone said above, talk to all those people who don't have it and get to replace Logic Boards...

Infrared

macrumors 68000
Mar 28, 2007

Thank you.

If you live in the EU you may not need it.

In certain countries manufacturers are required to do repairs at
their own expense even after the expiry of a one year warranty.

Macpropro80

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2009
Yes, i have had to replace 2 graphic cards under apple care on my mac pro. they ship replacement parts SO fast when u have apple care. (asked for replacement at 4p.m. and it arrived at 6 am in the morning next day) and they pay for all expenses.

snouter

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
I don't usually get it for my laptops.

If the laptop worked well the first year, I try to get 6 more months out of it and sell it and buy another laptop. I still have the $350 I did not spend on the AppleCare and I get a new laptop with a new one year warranty.

If you are going to keep the computer for several years, then it makes more sense. Also, it's only $250 for the desktop (v. $350 for the laptops).

But any failure at all would likely make AppleCare pay for itself. Video card or motherboard especially.

Other things like hard drives, who cares, you can replace those yourself and prolly get a bigger better hard drive as well.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2008
I got mine off of Craigslist for $85... I wouldn't pay full price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.