Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 8, 2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604

Hot Diggity- The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim

Game is due out in Nov-Dec 2011 (for PC and I assume console)! I will have to give this a try.

Elder Scrolls 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMOMkACtn4
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 01:51 PM   #2
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to whooleytoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
Game is due out in Nov-Dec 2011 (for PC and I assume console)! I will have to give this a try.

Elder Scrolls 5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMOMkACtn4
Wooooooooooooooooooot!

I can't wait for this. I spent over 500 hours playing Oblivion and all the expansion packs, and still didn't finish all the quests. I just hope the new one is less buggy.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 03:25 PM   #3
doh123
macrumors 65816

I've been watching this awhile...

Oblivion runs great in Wine and Cider (though a bit better in the Cider hacked versions) so Windows isn't needed... hopefully eventually we'll get Skyrim running that way as well... I hate running Windows.
doh123 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:01 PM   #4
AAPLaday

still prefer Morrowind to Oblivion but really looking forward to this :P
AAPLaday is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:43 PM   #5
Dagless
macrumors Core

It looks superb.

I've got Morrowind, Oblivion GOTY deluxe edition, Fallout 3, Fallout 3 GOTY edition and New Vegas on Steam... and I've still not actually played them. I'm a bad person. Aren't I. (I blame being too busy)
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:59 PM   #6
bluebomberman
macrumors 6502a

There's a rumor going round that the people in the game won't be ugly, misshapen lumps.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:18 PM   #7
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagless View Post
It looks superb.

I've got Morrowind, Oblivion GOTY deluxe edition, Fallout 3, Fallout 3 GOTY edition and New Vegas on Steam... and I've still not actually played them. I'm a bad person. Aren't I. (I blame being too busy)
You're terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebomberman View Post
There's a rumor going round that the people in the game won't be ugly, misshapen lumps.
Yes, fingers crossed. In TES4 I had to resort to one of those beautify people mods to make an elf that looked half way attractive. I don't understand why ugly people were an Oblivion trademark.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 03:10 PM   #8
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Quote:
It looks superb.

You have all those games, and you haven't played them?!? You have about a year of gameplay right there! I'd take 2012 off if I were you. Maybe you can call in sick?
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:35 PM   #9
Dagless
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by whooleytoo View Post
You have all those games, and you haven't played them?!? You have about a year of gameplay right there! I'd take 2012 off if I were you. Maybe you can call in sick?
That's just the tip of the iceberg too 200-something Steam games and I only routinely play 3. A library of 30 PSP games, all classics, all brilliant that don't get played. Same with the DS. Then there's my DVD shelf.... .
Old Feb 10, 2011, 06:38 PM   #10
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

I'm stocking up on depends for release day.
Old Feb 10, 2011, 11:16 PM   #11
doh123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
I'm stocking up on depends for release day.
uhhhgg... don't support Depends.. they make absolutely horrible adult diapers.. that "depend" won't last you but 2 hours before you have a wet chair!
Go for an Abri-form X-plus, those things hold a ton!

. . . . . . .

ohh... what? it was a joke? ... oh... oops.
doh123 is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:02 AM   #12
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Quote:
That's just the tip of the iceberg too 200-something Steam games and I only routinely play 3. A library of 30 PSP games, all classics, all brilliant that don't get played. Same with the DS. Then there's my DVD shelf.... .
Eh.... how do you have all those games, without playing them? Or rather, why?
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:09 AM   #13
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

I just checked the wiki page for this, quite a bit of info there.

Good to see the conversations with NPCs will be more dynamic, with the characters moving around as you talk to them. That's a nice feature in itself; and add in a new AI system. Yummy.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 11:10 AM   #14
doh123
macrumors 65816

I hope they have more than 3 actors doing all the voice parts like in Oblivion...
doh123 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:07 PM   #15
TallManNY
macrumors 68020

Quote:
I'm not nearly as bad, but I kind of know how stuff like that happens. I think you get to the point where you are an adult and you have your own money and you just figure "I'm going to get that game now, because I can." But as an adult with a job and other responsibilities, you don't really have the time to play all the games you can now buy.

I wish I had money as a kid, then I had the free time to take advantage of all the cool stuff I can buy now.
TallManNY is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:08 PM   #16
Dagless
macrumors Core

^ Heh, sorta. I think it's because we're at a point where you can buy stuff cheaply with 1 click (be it on Steam or Amazon, Play.com etc). I figure I'll have them forever and I don't understand the hatred towards watching old cinema or playing old games, so there's no point in rushing through.

New concept art - looks, um, unusual!
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/11/be...m-concept-art/

Quote:
Eh.... how do you have all those games, without playing them? Or rather, why?
I buy stuff when it's on sale so I can play on a rainy day. Except I like the rain.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 02:32 PM   #17
whooleytoo
macrumors 603

Quote:
^ Heh, sorta. I think it's because we're at a point where you can buy stuff cheaply with 1 click (be it on Steam or Amazon, Play.com etc). I figure I'll have them forever and I don't understand the hatred towards watching old cinema or playing old games, so there's no point in rushing through.

New concept art - looks, um, unusual!
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/02/11/be...m-concept-art/

I buy stuff when it's on sale so I can play on a rainy day. Except I like the rain.
Heh, I understand. I probably have dozens of games that I've started, but never finished. For some reason I find it kinda comforting that I can return to them and complete them at some point.

I've never had a problem with old movies, but with old games it can be different. I could play old games like Pac Man/Tetris all day, but 'realistic' FPS or RPG games from even just a few years ago look so dated I find it hard to get into them.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:28 PM   #18
AAPLaday

I cant do that. If i buy a game within a week or so of another i have to finish the first, or get as far as i can before i play the next one. Particularly if they are the same genre. And if they are the same then i have to play the one i think is the worst first so it doesn't ruin the other game ha!
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:45 PM   #19
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Wooooooooooooooooooot!

I can't wait for this. I spent over 500 hours playing Oblivion and all the expansion packs, and still didn't finish all the quests. I just hope the new one is less buggy.
I agree! Oblivion was, and still is, one of my favorite games. There were numerous rumors about this last year, but this looks pretty concrete.
JamesMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:47 PM   #20
milbournosphere
macrumors 6502a

I am really excited about this game. Gameinformer has a great article on the tech behind the new Elder Scrolls, and it's gonna be awesome. It's really worth a read.

GameInformer
milbournosphere is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 03:53 PM   #21
JamesMB
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by milbournosphere View Post
I am really excited about this game. Gameinformer has a great article on the tech behind the new Elder Scrolls, and it's gonna be awesome. It's really worth a read.

GameInformer
AWESOME link..many thanks.
JamesMB is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2011, 07:44 PM   #22
Huntn
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by doh123 View Post
I hope they have more than 3 actors doing all the voice parts like in Oblivion...
And not use the same ones they used in both Oblivion and Morrowwind.
Old Feb 11, 2011, 10:07 PM   #23
Highcroft
macrumors regular

Oblivion was one of my first games on the 360 and I can't imagine how much time I've devoted to it. Can't wait til Skyrim comes out.
Highcroft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2011, 03:36 AM   #24
256bit
macrumors member

SysReqs

I'm dreading the System Requirements already...

Oblivion was a very high-end-machines-only type of game when it came out, and to play Skyrim on maxed settings when it comes out... oh boy...

I'll probably get around to doing a boot camp partition sometime before it comes out (using parallels now, and I hate to say it sucks for gaming with not enough RAM) but still. I don't even want to guess the SysReqs because I hate big numbers...
Old Feb 12, 2011, 05:36 AM   #25
AAPLaday

Quote:
Originally Posted by 256bit View Post
I'm dreading the System Requirements already...

Oblivion was a very high-end-machines-only type of game when it came out, and to play Skyrim on maxed settings when it comes out... oh boy...

I'll probably get around to doing a boot camp partition sometime before it comes out (using parallels now, and I hate to say it sucks for gaming with not enough RAM) but still. I don't even want to guess the SysReqs because I hate big numbers...
I remember when Oblivion came out, my pc i had at the time couldn't handle it and had to run it on low low low. Got it again on the 360 and was much improved but i still prefer the pc version. Will have a look at the next iMac refresh to see what kind of graphics they are sporting. Ideally id like the 21" with improved graphics as the 27 is too big for me.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games