Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
Is there any particular "beautify people" mod out there I should download? I just started playing Oblivion (just about to finish Morrowind, didn't want the fun to ever end), and the characters are butt-ugly...and fat, too! Yikes...

The game was made in America. Of course the characters are a little chubby.

Nudger

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Sorry, not sure if I should post this here, but I have been a windows user my whole life (still using dell atm) but it is about to give up. I want to replace it with a mac and I also want to play skyrim.
Are the tech specs practically the same i.e. if a game requires X ram and Y processor, is that just what is stated for the mac book specs? even with a split hard drive? The same with the graphics (but I'm guessing that is the same anyway)
thanks in advance

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Sorry, not sure if I should post this here, but I have been a windows user my whole life (still using dell atm) but it is about to give up. I want to replace it with a mac and I also want to play skyrim.
Are the tech specs practically the same i.e. if a game requires X ram and Y processor, is that just what is stated for the mac book specs? even with a split hard drive? The same with the graphics (but I'm guessing that is the same anyway)
thanks in advance

Yes it's pretty much the same. When running Windows under Bootcamp it's like running a Windows PC. So whatever the specs are of your Mac they should be the equivilant of the Windows requirements. The only concern would be the graphics card which differ on Macs and are not always powerful enough. You need to make sure that the capabilities of the graphics card are the same as on the Windows cards mentioned in the system requirements.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
Are the tech specs practically the same i.e. if a game requires X ram and Y processor, is that just what is stated for the mac book specs?

Like Mr.C said, the answer is yes. Bootcamp is just a tool to help Mac users install Windows in a dual-boot configuration. You'll need a valid Windows disc to install Windows through Bootcamp. OEM version is fine, but the disc is licensed to the machine and not to the user like non-OEM. OEM means you're not licensed to move your copy of Windows to a new machine from an old one, it has to stay with the machine it was first installed on.

So, when you're running Windows through Bootcamp, you're running a native installation of Windows. It's not virtualization software like Parallels or VM Fusion. Then if you want to go back to OSX, you'll need to reboot the machine, just like any other dual or triple-boot configured computer.

Nudger

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
OK thanks a lot for you help, both of you. Most appreciated.
Might be a silly question but this works with xp AND windows 7 right? doesnt matter which windows OS you're using? as I have a copy of & rolling around my house somewhere.

PygmyJess

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
My Stock Macbook Pro will be able to run Skyrim

I just hoped on my Windows side of my Macbook Pro and went on http://www.systemrequirementslab.com and was glad to see that my system falls between Minimum and Recommended requirements. I passed through everything with minimum requirements, but only failed at one thing for recommended (RAM).

Results:

CPU:
Recommended: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
passed

RAM
Recommended: 4 GB
You Have: 2.2 GB
failed (but passed minimum requirement of 2GB)

OS
Recommended: Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
passed

Video Card
Recommended: DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1 GB of RAM (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher)
You Have: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
passed (even though it said fail the AMD Radeon HD 6750M is equal. They just might not have it in their system)

Free Disk Space
Recommended: 6 GB
You Have: 306.2 GB
passed (I partitioned 50/50 because I play games and knew I would need space)

I bought my Macbook Pro in May of 2011 and I always keep both my OS updated. I will definitely be able to play it with maxed out graphics, but I might have to up my RAM to 8GB to be safe, which I was planning on doing anyway. We will see :)

I hope this helped some of you.

PS. I don't know if anyone else has had an answer like this already lol

----------

Might be a silly question but this works with xp AND windows 7 right? doesnt matter which windows OS you're using? as I have a copy of & rolling around my house somewhere.

Only on windows. You will have to partition your Mac using Bootcamp or another partitioning utility.

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010

The version of Bootcamp that ships with current Macs do not support the installation of Windows XP. I assume the Windows drivers that are included for Bootcamp may not work under XP or perhaps the hardware itself may not work "out of the box" in Windows even using generic Microsoft drivers?

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.

It depends what version of the Mac OS you're running. Lion doesn't officially support any version of Windows before Windows 7. That said some people have got XP to work with Lion with the appropriate drivers but it's not staight forward. If you're running Snow Leopard then XP should work. If you're running Lion then you may need to get Windows 7.

Nudger

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Brilliant, thanks a lot for your advice and help everyone. Just made me want a macbook even more :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Is there any particular "beautify people" mod out there I should download? I just started playing Oblivion (just about to finish Morrowind, didn't want the fun to ever end), and the characters are butt-ugly...and fat, too! Yikes...

I don't remember the one I used, but it had some kind of elf... even she looked a little strange. I guess the character base models were that bad... helpfull huh? ;)

My thought I read that Bethesda has fixed this in Skyrim. I guess enough people screamed at them. But wait not so fast: Skyrim Characters. Based on this, I'd say a beautiful people mod might still be needed!!

the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-20110824023458440.jpg

Brilliant, thanks a lot for your advice and help everyone. Just made me want a macbook even more :)

Windows 7 is the way you want to go these days... Just make sure you have enough RAM to support it. My understanding is that 4GB total Ram will be plenty to run the OS plus the game.

Last edited:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Placed my pre-order (with gift card) yesterday at best buy. I'm interested to see how my 6990M handles it. I'm hoping at least 30+ FPS on high if it can't handle very high.

husseinhoo

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2011
I just hoped on my Windows side of my Macbook Pro and went on http://www.systemrequirementslab.com and was glad to see that my system falls between Minimum and Recommended requirements. I passed through everything with minimum requirements, but only failed at one thing for recommended (RAM).

Results:

CPU:
Recommended: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
You Have: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2720QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
passed

RAM
Recommended: 4 GB
You Have: 2.2 GB
failed (but passed minimum requirement of 2GB)

OS
Recommended: Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
You Have: Microsoft Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (build 7601), 32-bit
passed

Video Card
Recommended: DirectX 9 compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1 GB of RAM (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon HD 4890 or higher)
You Have: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
passed (even though it said fail the AMD Radeon HD 6750M is equal. They just might not have it in their system)

Free Disk Space
Recommended: 6 GB
You Have: 306.2 GB
passed (I partitioned 50/50 because I play games and knew I would need space)

I bought my Macbook Pro in May of 2011 and I always keep both my OS updated. I will definitely be able to play it with maxed out graphics, but I might have to up my RAM to 8GB to be safe, which I was planning on doing anyway. We will see :)

I hope this helped some of you.

You have 4 GB RAM installed on your machine but you cant use all of it in windows 7 32-bit OS.

A 32-bit OS has the total accessible memory of 4GB (2^32 bytes) (RAM + VRAM) so you do not see all your RAM. you see: 4GB - VRAM

While a 64-bit OS has the total accessible memory of (2^64 bytes ~ 17 * 10^9 GB! :D). so you don't need to upgrade anything. Just install windows 7 64-bit before Skyrim is out! :)

MasterTick

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
Placed my pre-order (with gift card) yesterday at best buy. I'm interested to see how my 6990M handles it. I'm hoping at least 30+ FPS on high if it can't handle very high.

It should run it pretty well, remember, this is designed to run on 6 year old console hardware.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It should run it pretty well, remember, this is designed to run on 6 year old console hardware.

I disagree it's not a good idea to compare the PC and console versions. The console versions are optimised for those specific machines whose specs are all the same. The PC version will be designed to run best on high end systems and most likely will run poorly on low end systems if at all.

Ovenall

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
Chicago
Anyone know if this will run well on the new late 2011 MBP 17"?

This model has two graphics mode, one high performance and one that saves battery life. How can I make sure it stays in high performance mode when it's in Windows 7 (via Boot Camp)?

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Anyone know if this will run well on the new late 2011 MBP 17"?

This model has two graphics mode, one high performance and one that saves battery life. How can I make sure it stays in high performance mode when it's in Windows 7 (via Boot Camp)?

you do not have a choice in Windows... only in OSX. In Windows it will only use the GPU (high performance mode) and there is no way to turn it off for better battery savings.

dr Dunkel

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2008
I will definitely be able to play it with maxed out graphics, but I might have to up my RAM to 8GB to be safe, which I was planning on doing anyway. We will see :)

Max out the graphics? That would be sweet, even sweeter if the important 50+fps are still there.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

From what I've read 8GB RAM is overkill, but I don't know for sure.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011

I agree with this. To run one game and W7 4GB of ram won't even be fully used.

If you are running other programs in the background that are memory intensive then you need to look into getting more ram.

8GB is cheap enough that anyone can just buy some but if you have 4GB there is no NEED to upgrade just to play any game out this year.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I've got Morrowind, Oblivion GOTY deluxe edition, Fallout 3, Fallout 3 GOTY edition and New Vegas on Steam... and I've still not actually played them. I'm a bad person. Aren't I. (I blame being too busy)

Not as bad as me; I purchased Oblivion and hated it, so I gave it away. But then purchased Morrowind hoping it was better. It wasn't, couldn't enjoy myself at all; still sitting on my shelf. I then picked up Fallout 1 (yeah late to the game here) and couldn't find myself to enjoy it either. :( On a different genre, I picked up Borderlands but it sits unopened.

I guess I failed at video games.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
if you have a machine with Intel HD 3000 graphics... going to 8gb will let it use 512mb instead of 384, and still leave more available for the OS and game... so I think on those machines you would see a difference in 4 and 8gb.

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus

So I guess the 12GB in my gaming machine might be a bit over the top, eh? :D

It was kind of an accident. It came with 4GB, and Crucial said it could run a max of 8, so I ordered an 8GB upgrade. When I installed it, I decided to stick the 8GB kit with the 4GB just to see if the machine would recognize all of it. It did, so I left it in. It's really not much different than 8GB, but it looks cool seeing all that RAM.

Not as bad as me; I purchased Oblivion and hated it, so I gave it away. But then purchased Morrowind hoping it was better. It wasn't, couldn't enjoy myself at all; still sitting on my shelf. I then picked up Fallout 1 (yeah late to the game here) and couldn't find myself to enjoy it either. :( On a different genre, I picked up Borderlands but it sits unopened.

I guess I failed at video games.

Some people just don't care for the style. I personally love the main Fallout line, but a lot of people don't like the top-down view of the first two games. I would suggest trying Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas, but if you didn't like Oblivion, you probably won't like those either. Personally, the Elder Scrolls and now the Fallout games are the only first-person shooter style games I like. I totally suck at stuff like Gears of War or Modern Warfare. I usually go for strategy type games like Civilization or Age of Empires.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
It looks superb.

I've got Morrowind, Oblivion GOTY deluxe edition, Fallout 3, Fallout 3 GOTY edition and New Vegas on Steam... and I've still not actually played them. I'm a bad person. Aren't I. (I blame being too busy)

Dude... you're set on gaming for the forseeable future. Seriously, play them in the order they were released and you've got like 10-14 months of intensive gaming ahead of you.

archurban

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
preload has been started since 6PM yesterday. I was too busy to read news. but now I am preloading it (steam). but I am not too excited. when I will play, and see it on 11.11.11, then I will judge how the game would be good or bad. this game has too much hype. be careful. oh, it's really about 6GB. too small for modern game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.