Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:39 PM   #1
gceo
macrumors 6502a

Emoji from Verizon to Att not working...

It seems that emoji doesn't work when sent from a Verizon iPhone to an ATT iPhone. Is everyone experiencing this? Has anyone talked to VZW about this yet? Any fixes?
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Qute
macrumors newbie

You are talking about SMS, right?
It seems to be working the other way around, at least.
Qute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:44 PM   #3
dccorona
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by gceo View Post
It seems that emoji doesn't work when sent from a Verizon iPhone to an ATT iPhone. Is everyone experiencing this? Has anyone talked to VZW about this yet? Any fixes?
interesting. Maybe due to a difference in the way ATT and Verizon process emoji? Doesn't seem likely, but at the same time, it seems like the only logical explanation.
dccorona is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:49 PM   #4
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccorona View Post
interesting. Maybe due to a difference in the way ATT and Verizon process emoji? Doesn't seem likely, but at the same time, it seems like the only logical explanation.
As it goes from one system to another, anything other than basic 1 byte ASCII might get stripped out.

While I haven't tried it, I know that SMS messages containing emoji characters would result in NO message at all being shown on my old VZW Blackberry, but I just assumed it was a BB issue and not an AT&T-->VZW issue.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 05:58 PM   #5
possumwater
macrumors regular

Well that just sucks.
possumwater is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:33 PM   #6
romeo0119
macrumors 6502

Lol at Verizon. Att to att works, att to tmobile and vice versa works. Only verizon wants to be different lol.
romeo0119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2011, 06:34 PM   #7
xraydoc
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo0119 View Post
Lol at Verizon. Att to att works, att to tmobile and vice versa works. Only verizon wants to be different lol.
Verizon to Verizon works, too, apparently. It's going from AT&T to Verizon and/or vise versa. Problem could lie with either carrier, not necessarily VZW.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:14 PM   #8
possumwater
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraydoc View Post
Verizon to Verizon works, too, apparently. It's going from AT&T to Verizon and/or vise versa. Problem could lie with either carrier, not necessarily VZW.
ATT blocked Verizon's emoji!
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:28 PM   #9
AuroraProject
macrumors 65816

Yup, I was just helping a friend setup her Verizon iPhone. At&t to Verizon works fine, but when she sends them to me it's just jibberish.
Old Feb 8, 2011, 07:55 PM   #10
possumwater
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraproject View Post
yup, i was just helping a friend setup her verizon iphone. At&t to verizon works fine, but when she sends them to me it's just jibberish.
nice lol
Old Feb 8, 2011, 10:48 PM   #11
Qute
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gceo View Post
I think talking to Apple would actually get faster results.

On another note, I bet the problems with emoji and non-english characters are one and the same.
Qute is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 12:32 AM   #12
knemonic
macrumors 6502

Confirmed that the issue is one way. My friend, who has a 3gs on Att cannot see my emoji text but I can see her's on my v-iPhone. Mine comes up as gibberish on her phone.

I hope there is a solution, or one of the three obvious companies find a fix this.
knemonic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:48 AM   #13
trajen
macrumors 6502a

This is very important! Forget notifications in iOS 5, we need our emoji working properly!
trajen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:56 AM   #14
ScottyW1
macrumors newbie

Smile

I use the "SMS Smileys" App and it seems to work.
ScottyW1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 01:58 AM   #15
milani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by trajen View Post
This is very important! Forget notifications in iOS 5, we need our emoji working properly!
My thoughts exactly.
milani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 02:21 AM   #16
Rodimus Prime
Banned

My guess is when when Text leaving the or coming onto from another network either Verizon or AT&T is breaking everything down to the 8-Bit ASCI value. Thoe Emoji are not part of that table so they come in as blank squares. My mom loves using them problem is my dad and I do not use iPhones so we do not get them. They are just a little black square on our phones as they do not recognized as standard char.
Rodimus Prime is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 05:00 AM   #17
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

AT&T to sprint does not work either
Old Feb 9, 2011, 06:06 AM   #18
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD*FACED*CLOWN View Post
AT&T to sprint does not work either
given that emoji is only for the iPhone and sprint doesn't have the iphone thats not surprising
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:22 AM   #19
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
given that emoji is only for the iPhone and sprint doesn't have the iphone thats not surprising
WRONG! Sprint has other smart phones and emoji is not exclusive to iPhone, this is about network compatibility
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:28 AM   #20
Warbrain
macrumors 603

I remember that there were complaints about how Verizon and AT&T customers had issues sending each other MMS. Different from SMS with emoji in it but could be related.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:48 AM   #21
Pomeless
macrumors regular

I'm glad I found this thread. I thought that I was going crazy or something! Sure stinks though! I hope that they fix it somehow.
Pomeless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:49 AM   #22
sorepheet
macrumors member

Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo0119 View Post
T-Mobile to AT&T is not working. AT&T to T-Mobile isn't working either. This is in regards to SMS. However if I use an emoji in a tweet anyone on an iPhone can view it.
It has to do with the encoding of the characters. Carriers utilize different 'channels' to display emoji. According to DaVBMan via http://discussions.apple.com/thread....ageID=12205009:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVBMan
Many people do not realize that emoji are not a standard and that is why various phones cannot display to one another. And also since they are using special characters to represent the emoji that some carriers do not translate them over.

You can always email your friend if you really want to see if she/he can see them as that will go over data and via email protocols and not the carrier SMS protocols that are messing with them.
Carrier to carrier should be fine with SMS. Should be able to email emoji to one another, tweet emoji, or even text ingame (words with friends) emoji. Just NO emoji via SMS to/from different carriers. Not an issue. Problem is that there is no STANDARD for display between all carriers.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 08:55 AM   #23
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD*FACED*CLOWN View Post
WRONG! Sprint has other smart phones and emoji is not exclusive to iPhone, this is about network compatibility
Take a chill pill, all I was saying that the iPhone has it and I was unaware that other phone used it as well.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:03 AM   #24
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

*sigh*

Here we go again with people saying "the iPhone can't do this"....when they see that its something that the carrier is not doing. If you can see the emojicon on your phone then guess what....the iPHone can do it. So please understand that when sending something across carriers, there is a possibility that the carrier might not transfer it correctly. Its not the phones fault.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2011, 10:18 AM   #25
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
Take a chill pill, all I was saying that the iPhone has it and I was unaware that other phone used it as well.
They came from Japan and were in use on all their phones long before the iPhone came along.
Small White Car is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone