Emoji from Verizon to Att not working...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gceo, Feb 8, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502a

gceo

It seems that emoji doesn't work when sent from a Verizon iPhone to an ATT iPhone. Is everyone experiencing this? Has anyone talked to VZW about this yet? Any fixes?

2. macrumors newbie

You are talking about SMS, right?
    It seems to be working the other way around, at least.

3. macrumors 68020

dccorona

interesting. Maybe due to a difference in the way ATT and Verizon process emoji? Doesn't seem likely, but at the same time, it seems like the only logical explanation.

4. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

As it goes from one system to another, anything other than basic 1 byte ASCII might get stripped out.

While I haven't tried it, I know that SMS messages containing emoji characters would result in NO message at all being shown on my old VZW Blackberry, but I just assumed it was a BB issue and not an AT&T-->VZW issue.

5. macrumors regular

possumwater

Well that just sucks.

6. macrumors 6502

Lol at Verizon. Att to att works, att to tmobile and vice versa works. Only verizon wants to be different lol.

7. macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Verizon to Verizon works, too, apparently. It's going from AT&T to Verizon and/or vise versa. Problem could lie with either carrier, not necessarily VZW.

8. macrumors regular

possumwater

ATT blocked Verizon's emoji! :)

9. macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Yup, I was just helping a friend setup her Verizon iPhone. At&t to Verizon works fine, but when she sends them to me it's just jibberish.

10. macrumors regular

possumwater

nice lol

11. macrumors newbie

I think talking to Apple would actually get faster results.

On another note, I bet the problems with emoji and non-english characters are one and the same.

12. macrumors 6502

Confirmed that the issue is one way. My friend, who has a 3gs on Att cannot see my emoji text but I can see her's on my v-iPhone. Mine comes up as gibberish on her phone.

I hope there is a solution, or one of the three obvious companies find a fix this.

13. macrumors 6502a

This is very important! Forget notifications in iOS 5, we need our emoji working properly!

14. macrumors newbie

I use the "SMS Smileys" App and it seems to work. :)

15. macrumors 68000

milani

My thoughts exactly. :D

16. macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

My guess is when when Text leaving the or coming onto from another network either Verizon or AT&T is breaking everything down to the 8-Bit ASCI value. Thoe Emoji are not part of that table so they come in as blank squares. My mom loves using them problem is my dad and I do not use iPhones so we do not get them. They are just a little black square on our phones as they do not recognized as standard char.

17. macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

AT&T to sprint does not work either

18. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

given that emoji is only for the iPhone and sprint doesn't have the iphone thats not surprising

19. macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

WRONG! Sprint has other smart phones and emoji is not exclusive to iPhone, this is about network compatibility

20. macrumors 603

Warbrain

I remember that there were complaints about how Verizon and AT&T customers had issues sending each other MMS. Different from SMS with emoji in it but could be related.

21. macrumors regular

I'm glad I found this thread. I thought that I was going crazy or something! Sure stinks though! I hope that they fix it somehow.

22. macrumors member

sorepheet

Correction

T-Mobile to AT&T is not working. AT&T to T-Mobile isn't working either. This is in regards to SMS. However if I use an emoji in a tweet anyone on an iPhone can view it.
    It has to do with the encoding of the characters. Carriers utilize different 'channels' to display emoji. According to DaVBMan via http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=12205009:
    Carrier to carrier should be fine with SMS. Should be able to email emoji to one another, tweet emoji, or even text ingame (words with friends) emoji. Just NO emoji via SMS to/from different carriers. Not an :apple: issue. Problem is that there is no STANDARD for display between all carriers.

23. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Take a chill pill, all I was saying that the iPhone has it and I was unaware that other phone used it as well.

24. macrumors 68000

iceterminal

*sigh*

Here we go again with people saying "the iPhone can't do this"....when they see that its something that the carrier is not doing. If you can see the emojicon on your phone then guess what....the iPHone can do it. So please understand that when sending something across carriers, there is a possibility that the carrier might not transfer it correctly. Its not the phones fault.

25. macrumors G4

Small White Car

They came from Japan and were in use on all their phones long before the iPhone came along.