Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

View Poll Results: Does Steam Work For You In 10.7 ??
Yes it works 39 49.37%
No it doesn't 25 31.65%
Wtf is steam 15 18.99%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:23 AM   #1
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Arrow Lion + Steam = No (Update: YES) (Update 2: YES AGAIN)

Update Post:

Thanks to stevemr123
Steps to get Steam working on Lion 10.7
don't be scared

TRY JUST THIS FIRST!!
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/Steam/.crash

ok so you're like man Lion is sweet, but Steam doesn't work. It just launches and hangs there bouncing forever in the dock.
Have NO FEAR!11!!!one!

Step 1: This will unhide your library folder so you can get to the Steam folder (we need to delete it)
Thumb resize.

Step 2: Follow the path like so. Delete the whole Steam folder, that's what it took for me. (WARNING: You will lose all your downloaded games, so it will be download central for you after)
Thumb resize.

Step 4: Open Steam back up, Voila
Thumb resize.

Last edited by rmbrown09; Apr 14, 2011 at 02:05 PM.
rmbrown09 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:00 AM   #2
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Just wait for Valve to fix it. Since this Valve we are on about, it is guaranteed to be late. Go back to Snow Leopard or play something else in the time being.
roadbloc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 05:02 AM   #3
Alaerian

See definition of "Valve Time"

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time
Alaerian is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:47 PM   #4
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

And valve will only fix it when Lion is released to the public - They're not going to fix steam for Lion now so that a few people with dev previews can use it
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 03:03 PM   #5
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
And valve will only fix it when Lion is released to the public - They're not going to fix steam for Lion now so that a few people with dev previews can use it
I guess I don't understand what Lion would do to break Steam.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 04:03 PM   #6
Tharian
macrumors regular

It was working for me on preview 1. At least, I downloaded and installed Steam, and then downloaded and played Civ 4.

I haven't tried it in preview 2 yet.

-d

edit: Ah, I think you meant you can't play online with Steam. I didn't try that so I suppose you can disregard my testimony.
Tharian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:10 PM   #7
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tharian View Post
It was working for me on preview 1. At least, I downloaded and installed Steam, and then downloaded and played Civ 4.

I haven't tried it in preview 2 yet.

-d

edit: Ah, I think you meant you can't play online with Steam. I didn't try that so I suppose you can disregard my testimony.
Yea try it with two. I am going to reinstall it one more time and see what happens, it was very strange however that the first time Lion booted after it installed, Steam changed to auto start at login.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:18 PM   #8
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmbrown09 View Post
I guess I don't understand what Lion would do to break Steam.
I sense that you're not a developer then. Meaning you have bought the Developer Preview for consumer use. Which is a rather daft thing to do.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:25 PM   #9
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadbloc View Post
I sense that you're not a developer then. Meaning you have bought the Developer Preview for consumer use. Which is a rather daft thing to do.
I am a freshman in college in computer science. No I am not.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 07:32 PM   #10
Tharian
macrumors regular

Quote:
Why all the scolding? Does his downloading the preview affect you in any way?

E-thugs are my favorite kind of thug! Because they're all so big, bad and scary :roll eyes:

-d
Tharian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2011, 08:06 PM   #11
roadbloc
macrumors 604

I'm hardly bullying. I just don't see the attraction for paying for buggy previews if you have no reason to use them. If it was free, then yeah, why not if you have an afternoon free and a burning curiosity to try out an early version of Lion. But to pay for something which causes nothing but computer use headaches? I don't get it.

Each to their own I guess.
Old Apr 4, 2011, 11:30 PM   #12
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm hardly bullying. I just don't see the attraction for paying for buggy previews if you have no reason to use them. If it was free, then yeah, why not if you have an afternoon free and a burning curiosity to try out an early version of Lion. But to pay for something which causes nothing but computer use headaches? I don't get it.

Each to their own I guess.
If it makes you feel better I didn't pay for it.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:13 AM   #13
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
If it makes you feel better I didn't pay for it.
Pirate!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 12:49 AM   #14
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Pirate!
Could be, could be a family member paid for my dev account
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:56 AM   #15
Let's Sekuhara!
macrumors 6502

Steam never worked for me anyway, past the first month or so of its release for Mac.

Just keeps saying "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Since Steam offers no phone number or email for support it's been this way for ages. I've just given up and become a bitter anti-Steam-ist. I'm hoping the Mac App Store will crush it out of existence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamOnline.png
Views:	53
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	279715  
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:58 AM   #16
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Uhuh.
roadbloc is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:40 PM   #17
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Sekuhara! View Post
Steam never worked for me anyway, past the first month or so of its release for Mac.

Just keeps saying "Steam needs to be online to update. Please confirm your network connection and try again."

Since Steam offers no phone number or email for support it's been this way for ages. I've just given up and become a bitter anti-Steam-ist. I'm hoping the Mac App Store will crush it out of existence.
Don't think that will ever happen. HL2, TF2, Portal and CSS are all Valve games that I'm sure they would never make available in the app store. Those 4 games alone will keep Steam for Mac alive.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:43 PM   #18
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Quote:
Don't think that will ever happen. HL2, TF2, Portal and CSS are all Valve games that I'm sure they would never make available in the app store. Those 4 games alone will keep Steam for Mac alive.
Unfortunately I +1 this. Steam was a godsend when it first came to Mac, but quickly became sour when porting houses boycotted it. I think the Mac App Store will easily win Steam, but Steam will still and always be needed for Valve games.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 01:46 PM   #19
maflynn

Quote:
That's still piracy.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 02:56 PM   #20
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Unfortunately I +1 this. Steam was a godsend when it first came to Mac, but quickly became sour when porting houses boycotted it. I think the Mac App Store will easily win Steam, but Steam will still and always be needed for Valve games.
I like steam for my games better than the app store for the game management and social facilities
Old Apr 5, 2011, 03:08 PM   #21
NameUndecided
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
That's still piracy.
I'm trying to wrap my head around how accepting a gift of sorts from somebody would add up to being a pirate.

An effort to keep on topic: I'm not much of a gamer at all, but all of this talk is making me want to try out Steam (for Snow Leopard, for the time being, I guess). Also, I started trying OnLive streaming gaming a few months ago and I've been really impressed about that. Last I tried, it was working for me in Lion. I personally think that there's enormous possibility in that kind of service (OnLive) and I hope that it takes off and becomes more popular and continues to improve and all of that.
NameUndecided is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2011, 06:22 PM   #22
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Let's Sekuhara! View Post
Not going to happen, and that's for the better. Steam offers better prices (especially for Americans, and even moreso when there's large sales), a unified interface for communicating with friends and playing games with them, and for some games there's Steamplay, which is quite nice.

I guess you never bothered checking Steam's forums (and you're wrong, I've emailed them for support before) for help, eh?
As far as Steam under 10.7 goes, I'd wait until Apple officially releases Lion to try. Less buggy, real support, and who knows what else.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 08:14 AM   #23
stevemr123
macrumors member

Steam hangs frequently, especially if you put it into background. When Steam is in the foreground, and periodically I click on something, it does not hang. When it hangs however, it cannot be restarted, the Steam icon only goes on bouncing forever. There is no any log entry in steam.log indicating any problem though.

Here is what I do if Steam hangs:

1. Go to ~/Library/Steam (/Users/USER/Library/Steam)
2. Copy the SteamApps folder (which contains the downloaded games) to the Desktop
3. Purge the contents of the Steam folder entirely
4. Copy back the SteamApps folder
5. Restart Steam

After restarting steam, I have to enter my username+pass, and accept the confirmation email. Then Steam runs an integrity check on the SteamApps folder, and syncs the savegames from the cloud, and bing, I can play again.

If Steam hangs during downloading a game, the same procedure can be done, Steam verifies the partially downloaded files, and continues downloading.

Valve games (like Portal) work perfectly in Steam, but some of my third party games (like World of Goo, VVVVV) crash upon launch.
stevemr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 05:20 PM   #24
rmbrown09
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemr123 View Post
Steam hangs frequently, especially if you put it into background. When Steam is in the foreground, and periodically I click on something, it does not hang. When it hangs however, it cannot be restarted, the Steam icon only goes on bouncing forever. There is no any log entry in steam.log indicating any problem though.

Here is what I do if Steam hangs:

1. Go to ~/Library/Steam (/Users/USER/Library/Steam)
2. Copy the SteamApps folder (which contains the downloaded games) to the Desktop
3. Purge the contents of the Steam folder entirely
4. Copy back the SteamApps folder
5. Restart Steam

After restarting steam, I have to enter my username+pass, and accept the confirmation email. Then Steam runs an integrity check on the SteamApps folder, and syncs the savegames from the cloud, and bing, I can play again.

If Steam hangs during downloading a game, the same procedure can be done, Steam verifies the partially downloaded files, and continues downloading.

Valve games (like Portal) work perfectly in Steam, but some of my third party games (like World of Goo, VVVVV) crash upon launch.
This is on Lion this works?
Edit:
yes this works.

New computer so SteamGuard kicks in.

And voila:

Thumb resize.

Last edited by rmbrown09; Apr 7, 2011 at 05:26 PM.
rmbrown09 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2011, 11:51 PM   #25
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackilroy View Post
Not going to happen, and that's for the better. Steam offers better prices (especially for Americans, and even moreso when there's large sales), a unified interface for communicating with friends and playing games with them, and for some games there's Steamplay, which is quite nice.

I guess you never bothered checking Steam's forums (and you're wrong, I've emailed them for support before) for help, eh?
As far as Steam under 10.7 goes, I'd wait until Apple officially releases Lion to try. Less buggy, real support, and who knows what else.
Yes, the app store apps are monstrously overpriced - Apple should drop the prices to make it more popular.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion