Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsychOK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
I recently spoke an apple employee who told me Apple will be revealing next week Sandybridge MacBook Airs at 11, 13, AND 15 inch models. I haven't heard much smoke behind this so what do you all think are the chances he is correct?

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Was this at an Apple store?

I'm sure there's a demographic for it... and they'd probably be able to squeeze in a decent (read: better than HD 3000) discrete GPU, since the chassis would be bigger.

I just want the damn 13 now! Raaaawwwwwwrrrrrr

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
I think there is a good posibility of a release next week :)

I will be interested to see if there is a 15 inch, I didnt think they would do it.

Was this an employee at a store? Any more details from what he/she said?

PsychOK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2011
Not an Apple Store employee. He mentioned he does most of his work at home. Don't really have any specific information beyond that.

PraisiX-windows

macrumors regular
May 19, 2011
I hope they won't, for obvious selfish reasons, if they come out with that I'll probably be feeling a bit bummed out going with the 13", even though that's exactly what I'll need.

hfg

macrumors 68040
Dec 1, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA. USA
Not an Apple Store employee. He mentioned he does most of his work at home. Don't really have any specific information beyond that.

Hmmmm....

Apple employee...
Doesn't work at the store....
Works mostly from home......

.... Was his name "Steve" .... Steve Jobs ...?:rolleyes:

The Mad Mule

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2010
Haha that guy only knows as much as we do. Possibly even less. If a 15" model does surface, then it was a lucky guess, simple as that.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Will this surprise anyone?
It's clear, even to Intel, that optical storage is history. And if you don't need optical storage, then an MacBook Air "Pro" is the obvious next step --- everything in a 15" MacBook Pro EXCEPT the optical drive. So no compromises on GPU, CPU, RAM or ethernet port.

I expect they'll probably keep optical in the 17" for another year or so, at which point it will also join the 21st century and lose optical.

endhalf

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
Oh, I would love 15" MBA but we all know Apple, he would price it like for 2500 dolars for some ulv iCore 5, 128GB SSD and Intel HD GPU :/.

jeffg819

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2006
Man, I sure hope they don't do this... Temptation is so darn hard to keep at bay with these Apple folks around.

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
I walked by a 13" MBA at the Apple Store yesterday and just lifted it up from the lower right corner to see how heavy it would feel. To my surprise, I could feel the chassis flexing.

Now I'm not so sure I want the MBA 13" and for sure don't think 15" will be rigid enough, unless they engineer the materials differently.

MBABuyer

macrumors regular
May 4, 2011
VA
I walked by a 13" MBA at the Apple Store yesterday and just lifted it up from the lower right corner to see how heavy it would feel. To my surprise, I could feel the chassis flexing.

Now I'm not so sure I want the MBA 13" and for sure don't think 15" will be rigid enough, unless they engineer the materials differently.

You probably got unlucky, think about how many people pick up those MBA's at the store and mess around with them, balance them, etc. When you buy a new one, it is incredibly strong.

The joints on that machine were probably worn down from all of the use.

Mac Addiction

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2011
I recently spoke an apple employee who told me Apple will be revealing next week Sandybridge MacBook Airs at 11, 13, AND 15 inch models. I haven't heard much smoke behind this so what do you all think are the chances he is correct?

Are you really being serious? I mean it really seems odd for an Apple employee to be telling you this information in the first place. It can get them fired (I am pretty sure?). I mean with my personal experience, all the Apple employees I've spoken to have never given out information about future realease :(

I hope its true :)

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Are you really being serious? I mean it really seems odd for an Apple employee to be telling you this information in the first place. It can get them fired (I am pretty sure?). I mean with my personal experience, all the Apple employees I've spoken to have never given out information about future realease :(

I hope its true :)
My mother spoke to an Apple store employee, asking if the MBA would get Sandy Bridge CPUs... the employee said they weren't going to.

Take everything with a grain of salt, is what I've learned :rolleyes:

solowmodel

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
My mother spoke to an Apple store employee, asking if the MBA would get Sandy Bridge CPUs... the employee said they weren't going to.

Take everything with a grain of salt, is what I've learned :rolleyes:

To be honest, I doubt a 15" MBA is on the books.

What would be the value add??

endhalf

macrumors regular
May 24, 2011
To be honest, I doubt a 15" MBA is on the books.

What would be the value add??

The real question that Apple is asking is "would it buy someone?" I feel that answer to this question is "hell yea!" but I don't think they will release 15" air so soon... Maybe in future

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.