Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Does anyone know why Apple don't make a wireless keyboard with a numeric keypad?

I've been using Macs for 3 years now, and I still find the lack of a numeric keypad annoying (but not so annoying I'll put up with a cable).

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
I think it's simply a case of Steve's House - Steve's Rules!

I expect its down to a thought that those who want looks most will prefer the looks of the smaller keyboard too where as those that want a numeric keypad will be heavier users, so:

a. Likely to go through more batteries if it was wireless
b. It allows them to fit most bills with just two products (wireless and wired options) with out bloating their product line

Although I agree it is annoying. I have the wireless keyboard now but want a full size keyboard which is being delivered soon but im not sure if ill use it as ive got used to the good looks of the wireless unit:) If they made the full size wireless id be happy.

P.S I also just remembered the wired keyboard is also a USB hub, which it obviously couldnt do if it was wireless

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
I agree it does seem to be "Steve's House, Steve's Rules", as you say. But I see no logic in their approach. If they offer a wired keyboard with numeric keypad, why not a wireless one?

:confused:

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
I agree it does seem to be "Steve's House, Steve's Rules", as you say. But I see no logic in their approach. If they offer a wired keyboard with numeric keypad, why not a wireless one?

:confused:

Everything at Apple is planned.

I'm sure they have their reasons.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wireless numeric keypad
Full size Apple Wireless Keyboard with numberpad?
Wireless Mac keyboard with numeric keypad
Mac BT keyboard with 10 key????

One alternative is to use the Cropmark LMP Bluetooth Keypad
attachment.php

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Stuff like this makes me wonder how much Apple cares about anything non-consumer oriented. They release a very promising MS Office competitor but they don't offer a numeric pad for use with Numbers. And even the wired version with number pad (my current kb) has odd placement for someof the number pad keys so I had to relearn how to 10-key on this thing.

Personally, I love the wired Apple keyboard but I'd rather they a) offer a wireless version or B) make those USB ports powered enough to charge an iPhone. Its such a waste to have USB built into the keyboard but not enough juice to do anything with it.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Why would you need a full sized desktop keyboard to be wireless? It's too big to lug around with a laptop and it's not the sort of thing that moves around much on desk.

Michael383

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2011
Why would you need a full sized desktop keyboard to be wireless? It's too big to lug around with a laptop and it's not the sort of thing that moves around much on desk.

There are some people that would like the use of a full sized keyboard with their laptops myself included. I don't think a keyboard is too big to carry.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

1) MBPs have limited USB ports

2) Travel sometimes demands a full workstation to get your job done. Apple laptops are up to any task, but for some a mini KB can be limiting.

3) Apple KBs are some of the smallest keyboards out there so it's the easiest full-size to "lug" around

4) It's a lot more practical and differentiating to have a full size portable keyboard than the one they currently sell which emulates the KB thats already built into your laptop.

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
I would personally prefer a wireless full size keyboard as well if available (Apple one). Even though my wireless Logitech keyboard is right next to the computer. Still prefer to have less cable hanging around everywhere and can easily move it around if I need more desk space.

ThaDoggg

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2010
Burlington, Canada
At first I thought I wanted a full wireless keyboard with a numerical keypad. But now I just love the small size of the current one. Maybe if apple offered an attachment so we can get best of both worlds that would be best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tums

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2008
I just keep my wired USB keyboard in the drawer if I need it which I have found over time is less and less.

I for one like the convenience and compact size of the wireless keyboard.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
They used to have a wireless full size. I do like the bluetooth extension that someone made.

My guess is if enough people request it they will make it. Maybe in the next revision.

Obi Wan Kenobi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2011
London, UK
Don't think anyone can explain except to say it's Apple or Steve Jobs. They do what they want and no body can seem to understand why. Like Blu-ray (but that's another whole thread on it somewhere else)...

Or as usual (or often the case), look else where for third party solutions. eg.

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Cropmark/8337/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_campaign=googlebase

The Amazon (UK) reviews for the numeric keypad are horrible. Reviewers describe it as plastic, tacky and unreliable. It's also expensive £37.99, when last I looked. Which I think is a lot just for the numeric keypad. You can buy the whole thing (albeit wired) from Apple for £40.
:(

But thanks for your contributions, guys.

For four reasons. Firstly, the convenience of not having to worry about a cable. With a wireless keyboard you can have it wherever you want it; on the desk, on your lap, on the arm of the chair, and you don't have to worry about the cable being too long, getting tangled, or knocking drinks over.

Secondly, when you're not using the keyboard, you can move the whole thing out of the way without detaching a cable.

Thirdly, repeatedly plugging and unplugging things into the back of an iMac causes lots of scratches by the USB port if you're not very very careful.

Fourthly, when entering numbers on a spreadsheet or a table, a numeric keypad is much much easier. That's why they exist in the first place.

They used to have a wireless full size. I do like the bluetooth extension that someone made.

My guess is if enough people request it they will make it. Maybe in the next revision.

Fantastic idea. :)

Click on the link below to suggest a "product enhancement" of a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/imac.html

I'm sure Tommy060289 is right
it's simply a case of Steve's House - Steve's Rules!

But if we don't ask, we won't get.

Last edited:

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010

Now see, I think that is not the real question... The REAL question SHOULD be, Why would you need a Miniature desktop keyboard to be wireless? It's too small to do anything, and wait for it... It's the SAME DARN SIZE as the laptop keyboard. Why do you need a wireless version of what you already have built in?

Sylonien

macrumors regular
May 21, 2011
obi wan said:
But if we don't ask, we won't get.

Unfortunately with Steve Jobs case, I think it's more like ask and he won't listen or make up some other ridiculous reasons instead.

But yeah I do want full size wireless to clear cable clutter and doing maths calculation is easier with numpad and even simple stuff like marking timeline in Premiere, rather than Shift + 8 to to get the * symbol.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
Most people never use a numeric keypad. Plus not having one gives you room for a Magic Trackpad right next to the keyboard.

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
I'd buy a wireless keyboard with numeric keypad right now if they released it. No question. That's they only reason I have a wired keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.