Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:44 AM   #1
Matthew2909
macrumors newbie

Bootcamp in Mac OS X Lion

If I download the Lion update because I've lost my Snow Leopard disc, so If I get Lion which I was planning anyway, how can I get it to work? I already have Windows 7 ready just need the mac software...
Matthew2909 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:50 AM   #2
basher
macrumors 6502

Lion installs on top of Snow Leopard once you purchase it from the App store.

Another way to think of this is, Snow Leopard is a prereq to Lion. Unless of course you're using hacks.
basher is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 09:58 AM   #3
Matthew2909
macrumors newbie

Is their a Lion disc I can buy? Because I dont understand wether I need the Snow Leopard disc or can just use lion for bootcamp
Matthew2909 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:00 AM   #4
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew2909 View Post
Is their a Lion disc I can buy? Because I dont understand wether I need the Snow Leopard disc or can just use lion for bootcamp
Lion is a download only purchase. There is no discs to buy and being such you cannot just boot up Lion to install, hence the requirement that you need Snow Leopard.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:05 AM   #5
Wild-Bill
macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew2909
No
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:01 AM   #6
PeterHolbrook
macrumors 6502

The Boot Camp Assistant lets you download the Windows Boot Camp Drivers (version 4.0), which you can burn to a CD and install that from scratch or on top of previous Boot Camp drivers from the Windows end.
PeterHolbrook is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:45 AM   #7
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

If you're already running at least Mac OS X 10.6.6 (IIRC), you will have the Mac App Store in your dock. With that, you can download Lion. Once Lion is installed, a small "rescue" partition is created on your hard drive, containing recovery files. The understanding is that this recovery partition can be used to reinstall Lion if the worse can happens, but only after Lion is already installed.

Of course, there are probably already several torrents of the Lion GM seed floating around the internet, so ......

On the other hand, it sounds as if the OP simply wants to know if Lion supports Boot Camp so that he can run Windows 7 on his Mac

To the OP: all kidding aside, Boot Camp Assistant will most likely be in the same place on lion as it is in Snow Leopard - look in the Applications/Utilities folder and just run it as before. If you already have it running under Snow Leopard, it should run as expected under Lion. I have Lion installed on an external hard drive (with Windows 7, as I need to do some Windows stuff for grad school) and can let you know how it works, once I get to work.

The other posters are correct. Apple is moving towards a software download-only process for future software sales. Not only does it drastically reduce costs for Apple, but as seen with Final Cut Pro X and Aperture, it also results in a drastically reduced price for consumers as well.
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 07:13 AM   #8
funkahdafi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiMacAddict View Post
The other posters are correct. Apple is moving towards a software download-only process for future software sales. Not only does it drastically reduce costs for Apple, but as seen with Final Cut Pro X and Aperture, it also results in a drastically reduced price for consumers as well.
Whether it "drastically" reduces cost for Apple (I wonder why people always assume superlative) remains a mystery to any outsider of Apple, even you.

You know, internet bandwidth is not exactly free, and millions of users downloading from your servers is not cheap. It may be cheaper than producing DVDs, but who knows? Have you seen the internal calculations of Apple? No? Thought so.
funkahdafi is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 07:23 AM   #9
seong
macrumors 6502a

What I did was, I went back to SL from Lion, then installed Win 7 through Bootcamp, then upgraded SL to Lion afterwards. Works fine for me .
Old Jul 9, 2011, 02:43 PM   #10
shoppy
macrumors 6502a

Just run boot camp and download the latest drivers.
shoppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2011, 04:16 PM   #11
HawaiiMacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkahdafi View Post
Whether it "drastically" reduces cost for Apple (I wonder why people always assume superlative) remains a mystery to any outsider of Apple, even you.

You know, internet bandwidth is not exactly free, and millions of users downloading from your servers is not cheap. It may be cheaper than producing DVDs, but who knows? Have you seen the internal calculations of Apple? No? Thought so.
As I pointed out, no longer does Apple have to press nearly as many DVDs, box them up, and ship them around the world. Just stop to consider how much is spent on just those steps. I fail to understand why internet "tough guys" such as yourself feel the need to constantly spout your ignorance about the situation as well. Have YOU checked out the cost of seeding OS X Lion to user worldwide? No? Thought so.
HawaiiMacAddict is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 09:32 PM   #12
bikerman
macrumors newbie

boot camp with mac os x lion

hello i had a macbook pro with snow leopard i just bought in may and i had bootcamp with windows 7 yesterday i just buy the new OS X Lion and i installed but now i can't find the windows 7 part can anyone help me what i have to do to recover my windows 7 or i have to install again windows 7 on the new OS X Lion?
bikerman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:40 AM   #13
palyons
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerman View Post
hello i had a macbook pro with snow leopard i just bought in may and i had bootcamp with windows 7 yesterday i just buy the new OS X Lion and i installed but now i can't find the windows 7 part can anyone help me what i have to do to recover my windows 7 or i have to install again windows 7 on the new OS X Lion?
You likely will not have to re-install Windows 7 or anything like that. Here is a simple solution for you. Download rEFIt 0.14. Here's what you do, instead of burning a 20mb .iso file on a cd or dvd, you can in fact restore the contents of the .iso to a small usb device. Just make sure you backup the contents of the usb reader to your hard drive, and then format the card as Mac OS X Journaled (extended). Anyway to do all this just select the usb device in Disk Utility, go to Restore tab and you should be able to make the usb device bootable through all this.

IF all the above I've described is too complicated for you, then just simply burn the downloaded .iso to a cd-r(w) / dvd-r(w), but make sure you unzip the the compressed iso, which will be called rEFIt-0.14.cdr.gz before burning it.

Once done, simply boot up your mac, hold down alt/option key immediately AFTER the Mac startup sound, choose the Partitioning tool, it will ask if you want to update the GPT/MBR table, say yes. With some luck it may start up in Windows 7.

Last edited by palyons; Jul 23, 2011 at 12:51 AM.
palyons is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X 10.7 Lion