Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to be preparing a 10.6.9 update to Mac OS X Snow Leopard in order to provide compatibility with the company's upcoming iCloud service. The following notice appeared in one developer's .Mac preference pane in Tiger after he had upgraded his MobileMe account to iCloud.

icloud_10_6_9-500x394.jpg

According to the notice, users will have to upgrade to a minimum of an as-yet unreleased Mac OS X 10.6.9 in order to sync select content via iCloud.
You will no longer be able to sync with this machine because you've upgraded to iCloud.

iCloud requires a computer running Mac OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.9 or later for Contacts, Calendars, and Bookmarks.
Apple so far has only been testing iCloud for OS X Lion with developers, regularly pushing out new builds of OS X 10.7.2, iCloud software and Photo Stream-enabled iPhoto 9.2 as it moves toward a public launch of iCloud.

Apple has been quiet about absolute minimum system requirements for iCloud, although it notes on its promotional pages that some features will require OS X Lion.
Some features of iCloud require iOS 5 on iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPod touch (3rd and 4th generation), iPad, or iPad 2, or a Mac computer with OS X Lion or a PC with Windows Vista or Windows 7 (Outlook 2007 or 2010 recommended).
Apple has already confirmed that syncing of Mac Dashboard widgets, keychains, Dock items, and System Preferences are not making the transition from MobileMe to iCloud for any users, but if the alert notice being delivered to iCloud users on Mac OS X Tiger is correct, it seems that at least minimal iCloud functionality may be coming to Mac OS X Snow Leopard in the form of a full maintenance release.

Article Link: Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.9 to Bring iCloud Support?

Last edited:

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
Ugh... Actually tempted to roll back to Snow Leopard if this is true. And avoid heaps of performance issues in Lion. :( Aperture 3 is plain torture right now on less than 8 GB RAM. Which is ridiculous. On the other hand, Apple may have future performance fixes in store for Lion. Decisions, decisions. ;)

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
For users who have macs that can't run Lion, this is good news. I'm sure Apple realizes there are enough of these users to not leave them totally behind.

g-boac

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2007
Why in the world aren't Preferences, Widgets, Dock, and Keychains being synced?? These are some of the most fundamental features associated with keeping computers in sync, and in meeting the true intent of iCloud - that any computer you have is a "device", equivalent to any other device you own, and that they stay in sync with each other rather than you needed to spend all your time managing your devices and their content.

This is a step away from that vision. What would it take for Apple to change? Or at least offer those services as paid premium options?

Mark

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
There was never a doubt in my mind that iCloud would be compatible with 10.6. 10.7 just isn't widespread enough among Mac users to make it iCloud "Lion Only".

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
wow, so the only reason people would want to switch to lion, will be in snow leopard too. sounds good to me.

BuffyzDead

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
This is HUGE for ME !!!!!....I really Hope So !!!

My single iMac Core Duo, out of a 4 Apple Computer Home Network, is the sole machine that cannot support Lion.

Yet I want doc synchronization, a la iCloud !!!

I had actually been researching upgrading the CPU to a Core 2 Duo, and all the mess that entails, just to support Lion.

Now, I will want to wait and see. :)

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Good news considering Apple initially said iCloud wouldn't support its barely 2 year old OS (Snow Leopard) but is supporting Vista (which is competitor's 4+ years old).

Hope it's true about Snow Leopard!!

Last edited:

termite

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2003
Snow Leopard does not have a .Mac preference pane.

It does have a MobileMe pane. So what is this screenshot real from?

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
What about those on Leopard (PPC Users)

I mean, why not support that, and Snow Leopard? Leopard was the last release for PPC, and SL was the last fore 32bit Core Duo, and Core Solo machines.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Why in the world aren't Preferences, Widgets, Dock, and Keychains being synced?? These are some of the most fundamental features associated with keeping computers in sync, and in meeting the true intent of iCloud - that any computer you have is a "device", equivalent to any other device you own, and that they stay in sync with each other rather than you needed to spend all your time managing your devices and their content.

This is a step away from that vision. What would it take for Apple to change? Or at least offer those services as paid premium options?
It is not taken away until 30 June 2012. And time will tell what happens after that, I think nobody can make certain predictions that far out.

Nobody forces you to switch from MobileMe to iCloud until then. Unless you feel entitled to the new features of iCloud and feel thus deprived of them if your preference for Dock, Dashboard and Preferences syncing prevents your from benefiting from the iCloud features.

Biolizard

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2008
London, United Kingdom
Snow Leopard does not have a .Mac preference pane.

It does have a MobileMe pane. So what is this screenshot real from?

RTFA. It says it's from Tiger.

What about those on Leopard (PPC Users)

I mean, why not support that, and Snow Leopard? Leopard was the last release for PPC, and SL was the last fore 32bit Core Duo, and Core Solo machines.

PPC is dead, dude. Just let it go.

Edit: And I'm not saying that just to be an arsehole. Lots of OS code was rewritten between Leopard and SL. The Lion implementation of iCloud can almost certainly share most of its code with SL; the same might not be true of Leopard.

Last edited:

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If they support Vista it would be a huge mistake not to support snow leopard, their own OS...

Now Im tempted to go back to snow leopard... :D:D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I want TRIM for any SSD. I am not moving to Lion until it has Rosetta.

makkystyle

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2002
I'm not sure why it's taken me so long to really understand what Apple is doing here but it's very smart. I was hesitant to really embrace the iCloud concept because I was annoyed about losing Gallery, web hosting and some of the other functionality I've using for years in MobileMe/.Mac. Now I see that all those same features are bound to appear, just in the form of application specific items. I'm sure there is a new iLife and iWork on the way that will have cloud services built into the individual apps... iMovie will have something like a "theater" where you can share your creations through the cloud, iPhoto will have a "gallery" function, etc. But now, these services are free as added value to the app using the free iCloud storage given to everyone and the increased use of these features pushes users into a situation where they really see the value/utility of paying for subscription services to increase this cloud space. More people are introduced to these web services and more people pay to be a part of it. Brilliant really.

glynhughes

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
This is welcome news, but couldn't they keep some mobileme functions working for PPCs on 10.5?

e.g. 'back to my mac' and email syncing?

Presumably they've got to make BTMM work for iCloud members with Time Capsules so it still works like it did with a mobileme account - so why not enable that for 10.5?

And is email syncing so radically different in iCloud that 10.5's mail program couldn't be tweaked to work with it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.