Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:56 AM   #1
ArchiMark
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Question What Does iPhone/Smartphone Really Cost Monthly?

I know that everyone's usage is different...but hope I can still get some input...

Haven't had a data plan yet for any smartphone....just have a dumb cellphone....would like to know what is the real monthly total cost that you get billed for for minimal use of an iPhone...in other words should I expect with monthly service charge, taxes, fees, etc, about $75 per month or ??

Or if easier what is the range I should expect to see monthly?

Currently, on AT&T in SF Bay Area, but can switch to other carrier if I want...

Thanks for any all input!
__________________
Silicon Valley Digerati
MacBook C2D & iPad

Last edited by ArchiMark; Sep 29, 2011 at 09:22 PM. Reason: Clarify Question
ArchiMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 09:59 AM   #2
thetexan
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2009
On Verizon's 450 minute plan with unlimited text and data I pay $74.50 a month after all taxes and fees. I get a 25% discount through my job.
thetexan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:03 AM   #3
Robby S
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Er, simply put...

(up-front cost + (monthly tariff x contract length) + optional extras) / contract length = total monthly cost

The up-front cost and monthly tariff will vary massively based on how many minutes/data/texts you want and the length of the contract. Can't you just get those costs yourself and put them into a spreadsheet to see which provider and tariff you would be better off using?
Robby S is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:04 AM   #4
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Just go on the AT&T website and act like you were setting up a new plan. You'll find that the cost will differ, but in the 80-100 bucks range, yes.

But then the real-world cost of that is higher. Any subscriptions you might have, apps, things you buy for the device, etc.
PDFierro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:04 AM   #5
ArchiMark
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexan View Post
On Verizon's 450 minute plan with unlimited text and data I pay $74.50 a month after all taxes and fees. I get a 25% discount through my job.
Thanks for your input!....so, without your company discount it would cost about $100/month.....
__________________
Silicon Valley Digerati
MacBook C2D & iPad
ArchiMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:05 AM   #6
applefan289
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexan View Post
On Verizon's 450 minute plan with unlimited text and data I pay $74.50 a month after all taxes and fees. I get a 25% discount through my job.
Wow, I pay $60 a month for a family plan with 4 lines (for non-smartphones).

What a rip!
__________________
http://www.email-standards.org/
applefan289 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:05 AM   #7
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020
 
Mac'nCheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
75 ish bucks a month but I get 10 bucks off from work. I have the 2 gig plan and never go over.I have the 450 anytime minutes plan and 1500 messages plan. Don't come close to going over those either
Mac'nCheese is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:06 AM   #8
ArchiMark
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
Just go on the AT&T website and act like you were setting up a new plan. You'll find that the cost will differ, but in the 80-100 bucks range, yes.

But then the real-world cost of that is higher. Any subscriptions you might have apps, things you buy for the device, etc.
Thanks for your input....will try that....but as you say, 'cost will differ'...that's exactly my point in asking this question.....wanted to see what people really pay per month, not what is advertized as monthly cost....
__________________
Silicon Valley Digerati
MacBook C2D & iPad
ArchiMark is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:07 AM   #9
Robby S
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetexan View Post
On Verizon's 450 minute plan with unlimited text and data I pay $74.50 a month after all taxes and fees. I get a 25% discount through my job.


Cripes... For 25 a month I get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. If I wanted to switch carriers, I could get 400 minutes with unlimited texts and data for just 15 per month...is it really that much more expensive in the US?!
Robby S is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:08 AM   #10
PDFierro
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiMark View Post
Thanks for your input....will try that....but as you say, 'cost will differ'...that's exactly my point in asking this question.....wanted to see what people really pay per month, not what is advertized as monthly cost....
Well, that's what I meant. How much data do you want? As a first-time smartphone user, you're probably fine with just 2 GB, but then some people on AT&T go with the cheaper data option. How many minutes do you need? Unlimited texts?

Only questions you can answer, but expect at least 75 a month before taxes.
PDFierro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:08 AM   #11
ArchiMark
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby S View Post
Er, simply put...

(up-front cost + (monthly tariff x contract length) + optional extras) / contract length = total monthly cost

The up-front cost and monthly tariff will vary massively based on how many minutes/data/texts you want and the length of the contract. Can't you just get those costs yourself and put them into a spreadsheet to see which provider and tariff you would be better off using?
Of course I can do that and have done that before.....however, as others have stated, the real 'costs usually differ' and I'll bet usually higher....so, just wanted to get some 'real world data', not just rely on what companies advertize as cost.....
__________________
Silicon Valley Digerati
MacBook C2D & iPad
ArchiMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:09 AM   #12
mms13
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
I pay just over $80 a month. That's for:
- Smallest voice plan (450 I think)
- 2GB Data
- Unlimited messaging
- 15% discount from my work.
mms13 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:18 AM   #13
ArchiMark
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Silicon Valley
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefan289 View Post
Wow, I pay $60 a month for a family plan with 4 lines (for non-smartphones).

What a rip!
I pay $55-60 per month on a AT&T Family plan now...but we're comparing this to plans with data plan...so, different animal....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
75 ish bucks a month but I get 10 bucks off from work. I have the 2 gig plan and never go over.I have the 450 anytime minutes plan and 1500 messages plan. Don't come close to going over those either
Thanks, sounds like I guessed correctly....have to check if my company has discount....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
Well, that's what I meant. How much data do you want? As a first-time smartphone user, you're probably fine with just 2 GB, but then some people on AT&T go with the cheaper data option. How many minutes do you need? Unlimited texts?

Only questions you can answer, but expect at least 75 a month before taxes.
Got it, thanks for the info.....don't need many minutes at all....don't talk much... maybe 100-200 max.....2GB is prob OK or even less I'd guess...would hardly text either....just would like to do some email and websurfing primarily.....plus use a few apps.....calendar and ToDo's, and a game or two....

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mms13 View Post
I pay just over $80 a month. That's for:
- Smallest voice plan (450 I think)
- 2GB Data
- Unlimited messaging
- 15% discount from my work.
Thanks for your input....so, seems pretty clear that for 'basic usage' expect bill around $75-80 per month and of course possible to be higher depending upon plan, usage, etc.....
__________________
Silicon Valley Digerati
MacBook C2D & iPad
ArchiMark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:23 AM   #14
kicko
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Got it, thanks for the info.....don't need many minutes at all....don't talk much... maybe 100-200 max.....2GB is prob OK or even less I'd guess...would hardly text either....just would like to do some email and websurfing primarily.....plus use a few apps.....calendar and ToDo's, and a game or two....
you say that now but not having owned a smartphone before your walking into a whole new world. You will be streaming music off pandora, streaming movies off netflix, using GPS, takings pics/vids of things you might normally not and uploading them to facebook or twitter, etc. Don't waste any money on a texting plan, theres many free alternatives at this point. (google voice, facebook messenger, google+, text-free app.)
kicko is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:23 AM   #15
FreakinEurekan
macrumors Demi-God
 
FreakinEurekan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Eureka Springs, Arkansas
I pay $107.84 to AT&T after all taxes and fees. This includes 550 minutes with rollover (family plan, but does not include the charges for the 2nd phone) - 4GB data with tethering - and 200 text messages/month (which I don't think is offered as an option any more).

I think the tethering is about $20 of that price, so if I didn't want tethering I'd be at around $88.
FreakinEurekan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:28 AM   #16
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
50$
5oomb of data
unlimeted text
200 minutes of local calls
30 min of long distances
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:38 AM   #17
Kyotoma
macrumors 68000
 
Kyotoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Carnegie and Ontario
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I pay $50 a month on AT&T for 400 minutes unlimited texting and unlimited data.
__________________
Black 4GB 2nd Gen iPod Nano, Black 30GB 5th Gen 'Video' iPod Classic, White 16 GB iPhone 3GS, White 16GB iPhone 4(GSM AT&T), Black 16GB iPhone 5(A1429), 32GB 1st Gen iPad WiFi, 16GB 2nd Gen Nexus 7
Kyotoma is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:39 AM   #18
acfusion29
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Toronto
Send a message via AIM to acfusion29
$50/month here on Rogers in Canada, and i have everything

btw, the thread title should be "what does a smartphone really cost per month" .. iPhone's aren't more expensive than any other smartphone out there.
acfusion29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:39 AM   #19
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030
 
wrinkster22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by acfusion29 View Post
$50/month here on Rogers in Canada, and i have everything
LOL same
__________________
macbook air 2011 ultimate, iPhone 5 16gb rogers, iPad mini retina 32gb, iPod shuffle product red (newest)
wrinkster22 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:42 AM   #20
mpossoff
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Family plan with 4 iPhones, 700 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data on each line, mobile to ANY mobile.

With 25% discount on each line for data and 25% discount on primary line with taxes our monthly bill is $225.
mpossoff is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 10:55 AM   #21
aneftp
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Honestly (for USA users), this is almost a pointless thread. I am not being sarcastic.

But both ATT/Verizon charge almost identical prices for voice/data. The only difference is that ATT users can pay $15 for a limited data plan in addition to their $25/2GB data plan while Verizon only gives users a 2GB/$30 data option. Other users maybe grandfathered to $30 "unlimited" data plans.

You can change this thread to "What does a smartphone cost monthly? instead of using the word iPhone"

As always, check with your affiliations/schools/employers because you can get significant discounts up to 25% a many places off your monthly plans.
__________________
(late 2012) 27 in Mac 3.2 Intel Core i5 24GB RAM 1TB fusion, mid 2013 Macbook Air 256GB SSD 8GB RAM
32GB iPhone 5S, 64GB iPad LTE (Verizon) plus 64GB iPad Air
aneftp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:05 AM   #22
Deako
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby S View Post


Cripes... For 25 a month I get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. If I wanted to switch carriers, I could get 400 minutes with unlimited texts and data for just 15 per month...is it really that much more expensive in the US?!
Agree, seems steep. Do the US customers pay a lower fee for their phones though, with much more of the subsidised handset costs being spread over the duration of the contract?
__________________
2012 Mac mini 16GB iPad mini 2x 32GB iPhone 5S 500GB Time Capsule
Deako is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:12 AM   #23
Certinfy
macrumors 6502a
 
Certinfy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: London
If I buy the iPhone 5 outright (500) and put a monthly sim in it (10) over the 24 months it'll work as 30.80 per month for 250 mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet so that's good enough for me. And then the phone will also be unlocked which is even better.

Only chance I'll get the phone on contract is if 3 offer their 35pm deal and 69 for the phone as at least that way I won't have to fork out 500 in one go.
Certinfy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:20 AM   #24
miamialley
macrumors 68020
 
miamialley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: California
AT&T - Miami
$85
450 anytime
1000 text messages
5000 night/weekends
Roll over minutes
Free AT&T mobile to mobile
2GB data
iPhone 4
__________________
Bring back the down vote MR! +345, -0

Last edited by miamialley; Sep 29, 2011 at 11:26 AM.
miamialley is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2011, 11:24 AM   #25
tmagman
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary AB
$59/month on Telus in Canada after taxes

200 anytime minutes
My5 Nationwide Unlimited Talk/Text
Unlimited Evenings/Weekends
2500 Texts
500MB Data
CallerID, VM, Call Waiting

I rarely start to tap into my anytime minutes cause the other features cover most of my time (and I average close to 1000 minutes per month of total call time). Data is never an issue, rarely go over 100MB/month
__________________
rMBP 15" 2.7 i7, 16GB, 512GB
Asus G73SW-A1 2.0Q i7, GT460M 1.5GB, 12GB
iPad2 64-3G, 4S 64GB
7D, 15-85, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 70-300 DO, 50 1.4, Lensbabies, Canon S100
tmagman is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Tags
iphone monthly cost

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How Do I Lower My Monthly iPhone Bill? Huntn iPhone 44 Jun 28, 2014 01:52 AM
Carrier: Question regarding iphone and monthly plans MacChinoNyc iPhone 3 Jan 27, 2014 09:10 AM
Low cost iPod touch signaling low cost iPhone? chanman iPod touch 6 Jun 3, 2013 10:53 AM
AT&T Plans - Total monthly cost including taxes and fees? MaxPower49 iPhone 2 Sep 12, 2012 03:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC