Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
I know that everyone's usage is different...but hope I can still get some input...

Haven't had a data plan yet for any smartphone....just have a dumb cellphone....would like to know what is the real monthly total cost that you get billed for for minimal use of an iPhone...in other words should I expect with monthly service charge, taxes, fees, etc, about $75 per month or ??

Or if easier what is the range I should expect to see monthly?

Currently, on AT&T in SF Bay Area, but can switch to other carrier if I want...

Thanks for any all input!

Last edited:

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
On Verizon's 450 minute plan with unlimited text and data I pay $74.50 a month after all taxes and fees. I get a 25% discount through my job.

Robby S

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Er, simply put...

(up-front cost + (monthly tariff x contract length) + optional extras) / contract length = total monthly cost

The up-front cost and monthly tariff will vary massively based on how many minutes/data/texts you want and the length of the contract. Can't you just get those costs yourself and put them into a spreadsheet to see which provider and tariff you would be better off using? :confused:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Just go on the AT&T website and act like you were setting up a new plan. You'll find that the cost will differ, but in the 80-100 bucks range, yes.

But then the real-world cost of that is higher. Any subscriptions you might have, apps, things you buy for the device, etc.

applefan289

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2010
USA
On Verizon's 450 minute plan with unlimited text and data I pay $74.50 a month after all taxes and fees. I get a 25% discount through my job.

Wow, I pay $60 a month for a family plan with 4 lines (for non-smartphones).

What a rip!

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
75 ish bucks a month but I get 10 bucks off from work. I have the 2 gig plan and never go over.I have the 450 anytime minutes plan and 1500 messages plan. Don't come close to going over those either

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Just go on the AT&T website and act like you were setting up a new plan. You'll find that the cost will differ, but in the 80-100 bucks range, yes.

But then the real-world cost of that is higher. Any subscriptions you might have apps, things you buy for the device, etc.

Thanks for your input....will try that....but as you say, 'cost will differ'...that's exactly my point in asking this question.....wanted to see what people really pay per month, not what is advertized as monthly cost....

Robby S

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
:eek:

Cripes... For £25 a month I get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. If I wanted to switch carriers, I could get 400 minutes with unlimited texts and data for just £15 per month...is it really that much more expensive in the US?!

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Thanks for your input....will try that....but as you say, 'cost will differ'...that's exactly my point in asking this question.....wanted to see what people really pay per month, not what is advertized as monthly cost....

Well, that's what I meant. How much data do you want? As a first-time smartphone user, you're probably fine with just 2 GB, but then some people on AT&T go with the cheaper data option. How many minutes do you need? Unlimited texts?

Only questions you can answer, but expect at least 75 a month before taxes.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Er, simply put...

(up-front cost + (monthly tariff x contract length) + optional extras) / contract length = total monthly cost

The up-front cost and monthly tariff will vary massively based on how many minutes/data/texts you want and the length of the contract. Can't you just get those costs yourself and put them into a spreadsheet to see which provider and tariff you would be better off using? :confused:

Of course I can do that and have done that before.....however, as others have stated, the real 'costs usually differ' and I'll bet usually higher....so, just wanted to get some 'real world data', not just rely on what companies advertize as cost.....

mms13

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Baltimore, MD
I pay just over $80 a month. That's for:
- Smallest voice plan (450 I think)
- 2GB Data
- Unlimited messaging
- 15% discount from my work.

ArchiMark

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Wow, I pay $60 a month for a family plan with 4 lines (for non-smartphones).

What a rip!

I pay $55-60 per month on a AT&T Family plan now...but we're comparing this to plans with data plan...so, different animal....

----------

75 ish bucks a month but I get 10 bucks off from work. I have the 2 gig plan and never go over.I have the 450 anytime minutes plan and 1500 messages plan. Don't come close to going over those either

Thanks, sounds like I guessed correctly....have to check if my company has discount....

----------

Well, that's what I meant. How much data do you want? As a first-time smartphone user, you're probably fine with just 2 GB, but then some people on AT&T go with the cheaper data option. How many minutes do you need? Unlimited texts?

Only questions you can answer, but expect at least 75 a month before taxes.

Got it, thanks for the info.....don't need many minutes at all....don't talk much... :) maybe 100-200 max.....2GB is prob OK or even less I'd guess...would hardly text either....just would like to do some email and websurfing primarily.....plus use a few apps.....calendar and ToDo's, and a game or two....

----------

I pay just over $80 a month. That's for:
- Smallest voice plan (450 I think)
- 2GB Data
- Unlimited messaging
- 15% discount from my work.

Thanks for your input....so, seems pretty clear that for 'basic usage' expect bill around $75-80 per month and of course possible to be higher depending upon plan, usage, etc.....

kicko

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2008
Got it, thanks for the info.....don't need many minutes at all....don't talk much... :) maybe 100-200 max.....2GB is prob OK or even less I'd guess...would hardly text either....just would like to do some email and websurfing primarily.....plus use a few apps.....calendar and ToDo's, and a game or two....

you say that now but not having owned a smartphone before your walking into a whole new world. You will be streaming music off pandora, streaming movies off netflix, using GPS, takings pics/vids of things you might normally not and uploading them to facebook or twitter, etc. Don't waste any money on a texting plan, theres many free alternatives at this point. (google voice, facebook messenger, google+, text-free app.)

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I pay $107.84 to AT&T after all taxes and fees. This includes 550 minutes with rollover (family plan, but does not include the charges for the 2nd phone) - 4GB data with tethering - and 200 text messages/month (which I don't think is offered as an option any more).

I think the tethering is about $20 of that price, so if I didn't want tethering I'd be at around $88.

Kyotoma

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2010
Carnegie and Ontario
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5313e Safari/7534.48.3)

I pay $50 a month on AT&T for 400 minutes unlimited texting and unlimited data.

acfusion29

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2007
Toronto
$50/month here on Rogers in Canada, and i have everything

btw, the thread title should be "what does a smartphone really cost per month" .. iPhone's aren't more expensive than any other smartphone out there.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Family plan with 4 iPhones, 700 minutes, unlimited text, unlimited data on each line, mobile to ANY mobile.

With 25% discount on each line for data and 25% discount on primary line with taxes our monthly bill is $225.

aneftp

macrumors 601
Jul 28, 2007
Honestly (for USA users), this is almost a pointless thread. I am not being sarcastic.

But both ATT/Verizon charge almost identical prices for voice/data. The only difference is that ATT users can pay $15 for a limited data plan in addition to their $25/2GB data plan while Verizon only gives users a 2GB/$30 data option. Other users maybe grandfathered to $30 "unlimited" data plans.

You can change this thread to "What does a smartphone cost monthly? instead of using the word iPhone"

As always, check with your affiliations/schools/employers because you can get significant discounts up to 25% a many places off your monthly plans.

Deako

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2010
United Kingdom
:eek:

Cripes... For £25 a month I get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data. If I wanted to switch carriers, I could get 400 minutes with unlimited texts and data for just £15 per month...is it really that much more expensive in the US?!

Agree, seems steep. Do the US customers pay a lower fee for their phones though, with much more of the subsidised handset costs being spread over the duration of the contract?

Certinfy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2011
London
If I buy the iPhone 5 outright (£500) and put a monthly sim in it (£10) over the 24 months it'll work as £30.80 per month for 250 mins, unlimited texts, and unlimited internet so that's good enough for me. And then the phone will also be unlocked which is even better.

Only chance I'll get the phone on contract is if 3 offer their £35pm deal and £69 for the phone as at least that way I won't have to fork out £500 in one go.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
AT&T - Miami
$85
450 anytime
1000 text messages
5000 night/weekends
Roll over minutes
Free AT&T mobile to mobile
2GB data
iPhone 4

Last edited:

tmagman

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2010
Calgary AB
$59/month on Telus in Canada after taxes

200 anytime minutes
My5 Nationwide Unlimited Talk/Text
Unlimited Evenings/Weekends
2500 Texts
500MB Data
CallerID, VM, Call Waiting

I rarely start to tap into my anytime minutes cause the other features cover most of my time (and I average close to 1000 minutes per month of total call time). Data is never an issue, rarely go over 100MB/month

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.