Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Yesterday, Macworld reported that Sprint would be selling the iPhone 4S with an unlocked micro-SIM slot, potentially allowing users traveling abroad to simply slip in a local micro-SIM card and avoid high roaming costs.

sprint_iphone_4s_preorder_now.jpg

Ars Technica now reports that Sprint has reached out to deny this report, indicating that the iPhone 4S will not work with international micro-SIMs.
However, while Sprint will now support international roaming on GSM networks with the appropriate monthly plan, the company will not be selling the phone unlocked for use with international microSIMs. Ars asked Michelle Mermelstein, a Sprint wireless device public relations representative, to confirm that the Sprint iPhone 4S would not work with international microSIMs. "That is correct," Mermelstein said. "I believe Verizon's device works the same way."
Sprint customer service agents have also been offering similar information in response to questions about international travel with the iPhone 4S.
iPhone 4S has World Mode Capabilities with the pre-inserted SIM card. However, you will not be able to use non-Sprint SIM card with it, due to technology differences. If you purchase iPhone 4S you will be able to use it internationally with Sprint Services.

Note: International capabilities will be locked and you will have to call Sprint to activate.
The iPhone 4S, officially set to launch on Friday, is a world-mode device capable of supporting both GSM and CDMA networks, but carrier locking and other requirements will substantially limit that flexibility for customers purchasing subsidized versions of the device.

Article Link: Sprint Denies Report of Unlocked Micro-SIM in iPhone 4S

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Ok, so this means that Sprint will make you select an expensive international plan to use overseas--rather than allow you to pop in a foreign sim for a local carrier be charged local rates correct? That's what AT&T does.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
It was too good to be true, especially for America.

Last edited by a moderator:

ApplLover

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2011
Panama
What a load of horse crap. I guess the best bet is to just buy the factory unlocked iPhone and use it with AT&T in the US and anyone else outside the country.

It seems you cannot use the factory unlocked on the CDMA networks.

AT&T wins I guess.

mister880

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2002
Well that's a let down.. I'm out of the country about 30% of the year. That feature alone would have got me to switch from ATT to Sprint!

Best of both worlds! Unlimited Data at home and freedom when abroad...

That's too bad! Sprint if you ever see this there are a lot of business customers who travel internationally that would love to have a feature like that!

@19.95 per megabyte abroad with ATT I usually just turn my iPhone off and use a cheap local burner or Skype.

Kevin
Mister880

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
What a load of horse crap. I guess the best bet is to just buy the factory unlocked iPhone and use it with AT&T in the US and anyone else outside the country.

It seems you cannot use the factory unlocked on the CDMA networks.

AT&T wins I guess.

yup, the whole cdma thing is a mess. for now att is the way to go. when an LTE iPhone is available things should change.

:apple:

vaclav

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Wow. To think that I was about to give AT&T the boot and switch to Sprint, on principal alone!
Nice going Sprint, becoming like AT&T already ;)

MUrhino

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2003
What about Verizon?

So AT&T and Sprint are locking customers to their networks, but what about Verizon? The same article in MacWorld yesterday stated that Verizon allows an international unlock for customers in good standing after they've been w/ them at least 60 days. So, does Verizon allow this?

So far it's sounding like the 4S may indeed be a world phone, but our US carriers are taking a lot of function away. I was debating switching from AT&T for the int'l unlock, but looks like it may not be worth it?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
So where did Macworld get their information from? The article is still not updated to reflect the Sprint denial.

That did sound too good to be true. It will be cold day in hell before carriers decide to start providing any amount of convenience to users without strings attached.

tekkierich

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2008
Sprint, you let me down

I am a TMobile customer currently using an original 2G iPhone jail broken. I am going to be in a line on Friday buying an iPhone. I would have bought it from you, or who ever will have an unlocked international SIM slot. I guess as no one does, I will go with AT&T for the HSPDA+

Sorry Sprint, short sightedness just lost you a customer.

A contract is a contract, and I understand to get a subsidized phone I will need to be locked into a plan for two years. Why you can't just let me do what I want to with my phone (impacting your data network in no way) as long as my monthly check to you rolls in, I have no idea.

Annoyed.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Not that I need it a lot, but Sprint is really missing out here. They will make money by people using the phone on other networks and still be paying their bill here in the US. So what is the problem Sprint?? I can't imagine people actually pay for the outrageous international fees vs. just buying a cheap phone when abroad.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I thought the initial report of having the CDMA phones factory unlocked was too good to be true. That's a lot of money the carriers would essentially be losing in international roaming fees, and it's the exact opposite of what the GSM carriers do.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Okay... so no longer considering buying the Sprint iPhone.

Nice sales job, boneheads. :p

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Sprint and Verizon can do this cause the US Government lets these companies do whatever the hell they want. They can do ridiculous things like this cause there is nobody to challenge them. Got to love capitalism..

There is simply no reason for Sprint to cripple a device just in the name of profit...

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
You know, I don't travel internationally and I like AT&T (and Sprint is the one carrier I avoid) so it does not affect me one bit.

That being said, I think it would have been an incredibly competitive move on Sprint's part to have the GSM part unlocked and be able to advertise that they were the best one to have the iPhone if you needed to go international (after all, AT&T if you buy their subsidized phone you don't get an unlocked phone. That is a huge perk to sell a subsidized phone that is unlocked at least for international use. THey would still get the monthly fees from the people while at home, just lose out on international sales. But better than not even getting the monthly fees, right?).

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007

lobster68w

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
It's time the US actually protect the consumer for once and pass a law to get rid of this locking crap. It's your phone, you should be able to use it where you want. They all ready penalize you when you leave early to recoup the subsidy. Cell phones in the US are ridiculously overpriced.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I can't imagine people actually pay for the outrageous international fees vs. just buying a cheap phone when abroad.

Because if you're important, people still need to call you. That would be a different number, and the caller themselves would have to pay to call this international number vs just calling your regular mobile number.

joeconvert

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2003
TX
Well that's a let down.. I'm out of the country about 30% of the year. That feature alone would have got me to switch from ATT to Sprint!

Best of both worlds! Unlimited Data at home and freedom when abroad...

That's too bad! Sprint if you ever see this there are a lot of business customers who travel internationally that would love to have a feature like that!

@19.95 per megabyte abroad with ATT I usually just turn my iPhone off and use a cheap local burner or Skype.

Kevin
Mister880

I am pretty sure your AT&T knowledge is quite out of date. I believe they do 50MB for $24.99 now.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
lame, one of the cellular providers needs to provide this feature, a lot of people (including myself) will switch to that for a TRUE international phone.. not one you have to buy an overpriced plan for. then the new trend will be to unlock all phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.