Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Because if you're important, people still need to call you. That would be a different number, and the caller themselves would have to pay to call this international number vs just calling your regular mobile number.

True, but I guess in that case, the person would keep Sprint service anyways regardless of whether the GSM slot is unlocked. Am I correct?? So again, no loss to Sprint. I guess there are a few people who don't realize they are being charged retarded fees for international roaming, but those same people would probably not think to put a local SIM in the phone.

For me, I probably just won't use the phone so for Sprint it's a net/net. If they unlock it, I use the phone and they don't know about it. If they don't I just leave the phone at home/car and use a local prepaid phone.

EDIT: Just sent an email to my companies Sprint Corporate rep asking if he knows. We will see what he says. I work for a HUGE company so we have dedicated enterprise Sprint reps. They should know since our company uses iPhones for business.

EDIT2: Sprint rep says they are not allowed to discuss this stuff until the official launch. So Friday I will get my answer, he said Apple as asked them to be tight lipped about all this stuff.

Last edited:

failsafe1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2003
Sprint and Verizon

I am guessing both Sprint and Verizon are confused internally as to what they are doing about unlocking iPhone 4s. I am with Att but started checking with Verizon and Sprint last week about unlocked iphones. I have a screen cap of my tech chat with Verizon showing the support person saying after 60 days I can unlock my Verizon iPhone 4S with no problem. Just this week our Sprint rep at work said you can use a 4S with an international Sim when asked. So I would guess they can but not everyone realizes or they were but changed the plans?

keilly

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
Oh well - and there I was planning to jump from At&T to Sprint ASAP. Might as well stay put.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
That being said, I think it would have been an incredibly competitive move on Sprint's part to have the GSM part unlocked and be able to advertise that they were the best one to have the iPhone if you needed to go international (after all, AT&T if you buy their subsidized phone you don't get an unlocked phone. That is a huge perk to sell a subsidized phone that is unlocked at least for international use. THey would still get the monthly fees from the people while at home, just lose out on international sales. But better than not even getting the monthly fees, right?).

There is some confusion over the term "unlocked".

Aren't the phones for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint basically the same? And "world-capable"?

If the GSM SIM were "unlocked", and you were on Sprint or Verizon, what's to prevent you from using a US-based SIM (such as H2O) in the US?

In other words, do you really expect Verizon & Sprint to sell an unlocked GSM phone (that works on CDMA) that Apple will be selling for $450 more?

BlackBerry has sold world phones through Verizon, and "unlocking" the GSM SIM basically meant you could use GSM overseas - the phone was still locked to the SIM that came with it.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Because if you're important, people still need to call you. That would be a different number, and the caller themselves would have to pay to call this international number vs just calling your regular mobile number.

If you're really important then the price of having your number overseas is worth it.

But for most of us, it's not, or a workaround like foreign data plus forwarding to google voice is a pretty good alternative.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

Aren't the phones for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint basically the same? And "world-capable"?

If the GSM SIM were "unlocked", and you were on Sprint or Verizon, what's to prevent you from using a US-based SIM (such as H2O) in the US?

In other words, do you really expect Verizon & Sprint to sell an unlocked GSM phone (that works on CDMA) that Apple will be selling for $450 more?

BlackBerry has sold world phones through Verizon, and "unlocking" the GSM SIM basically meant you could use GSM overseas - the phone was still locked to the SIM that came with it.

Just an observation, Apple is still getting full amount of phone. You pay 200 and Sprint pays the 450 or so to Apple.

We will see what happens, hoping for good news.

mrmoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
I just talked to Sprint and they said they unlock ALL international phones for upcoming trips. The iPhone is no exception.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Sprint and Verizon can do this cause the US Government lets these companies do whatever the hell they want. They can do ridiculous things like this cause there is nobody to challenge them. Got to love capitalism..

There is simply no reason for Sprint to cripple a device just in the name of profit...

Or you can look at it for the opposite direction - you have to love our system that allows corporations to pay off politicians to keep them from passing laws that would prevent this. Got to love crony capitalism.....

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005

Who cares if the customer wants to use a GSM sim in country as well? They're still locked into a contract with Sprint.

knewsom

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2005
Or you can look at it for the opposite direction - you have to love our system that allows corporations to pay off politicians to keep them from passing laws that would prevent this. Got to love crony capitalism.....

That's why I'm voting for Buddy Roemer. :D

thetexan

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2009
To think of all the sales they're missing out on...

The vast majority of Americans have never even left the country. After that, most who left the country have only done so for short times and probably wouldn't worry about going through the trouble of finding a local SIM and will be happy to pay the roaming (or just leave their phone off).

In other words, they won't miss out on any sales.

They may miss out on everyone who was going to scheme Sprint by buying a phone and turning right around to cancel service. Sprint doesn't want those sales anyway.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
You know, I don't travel internationally and I like AT&T (and Sprint is the one carrier I avoid) so it does not affect me one bit.

That being said, I think it would have been an incredibly competitive move on Sprint's part to have the GSM part unlocked and be able to advertise that they were the best one to have the iPhone if you needed to go international (after all, AT&T if you buy their subsidized phone you don't get an unlocked phone. That is a huge perk to sell a subsidized phone that is unlocked at least for international use. THey would still get the monthly fees from the people while at home, just lose out on international sales. But better than not even getting the monthly fees, right?).

But think of all the $200 subsidies Sprint would have to shell out. They wouldn't really "gain" a whole lot more through something like this. On paper, a high-usage international user would look no different than a non-international user. They would both be paying Sprint the typical monthly plan, and that's it. But the international user would also be paying the international carrier, not Sprint. And they would also be on Sprint's most minimal plans.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
It's what VZW does also...

Wasn't there some FCC thing requiring them to unlock phones after X time a few years ago? http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2064707,00.asp#fbid=85dzyrpl4Pa

The DMCA exemption allows you to unlock the phone -- it doesn't force the cellular provider to do it (there is a law like this, I believe, in parts of Europe and perhaps elsewhere), nor does it force carriers to accept your use of the unlocked phone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...puter_Maintenance_Competition_Assurance_Acton their networks.

officerdick

macrumors regular
May 4, 2006
Why don't you regulate your carriers?

I really don't get why Americans put up with these greedy carriers.

In a true free market all phones would be unlocked, in most countries the phone is unlocked after the contract has expired, for free, contracts last from 6 months to 2 years depending on the country. Sensible nations value the rights of the people higher than the rights of the cooperations.

There is no technical limitation, U.S. carriers could unlock all iPhones if they wanted, the only thing limiting them is the fact that if consumers could switch carriers and keep their phone, they would be forced to offer competitive services.

Regulation is good for competition, at least sensible regulation.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec

So basically if you travel to CDMA supported countries like Canada there's no difference between the 4S and the original Verizon iPhone 4 - you have to roam either way. It's only Europe that's the difference it seems...

I'm still ticked I can't get my out-of-contract, fully paid AT&T 3GS unlocked. :mad: Hopefully a jailbreak unlock will come, and since it's not my primary phone anymore I don't have to care about leaving it non-updated.

Swedishbacon

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Sweden
This makes me so happy to live in Sweden. Just buy it without any carrier and put any micro-sim you want in there. Fully working.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Bull *****.

I am ignoring this now. NO ONE KNOWS UNTIL FRIDAY what Verizon and AT&T are doing with their GSM lock.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
True, but I guess in that case, the person would keep Sprint service anyways regardless of whether the GSM slot is unlocked. Am I correct?? So again, no loss to Sprint. I guess there are a few people who don't realize they are being charged retarded fees for international roaming, but those same people would probably not think to put a local SIM in the phone.

Yes, that's correct. It wouldn't be a loss to Sprint, but they would still be missing out on collecting potential international roaming fees, which in effect would narrow the profit margins after taking the $200 subsidy into consideration.

I'm sure if this were true, many people in this situation would get the most basic voice plan, and then cancel data plan, and keep for two years.

ilfn143

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Enron by the Sea

if you're important AND smart you would get a local sim which is dirt cheap, use google voice to check your voicemail/send receive text.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That's too bad. Has VZW confirmed they will still unlock after 60 days?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
I am ignoring this now. NO ONE KNOWS UNTIL FRIDAY what Verizon and AT&T are doing with their GSM lock.

Well, no one knows what Verizon will do for at least sixty days from Friday, since even the rumor said they won't do it for you right now. :p I don't think anyone expects AT&T to do anything other than to continue to totally ignore their customers, though?

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
So basically if you travel to CDMA supported countries like Canada there's no difference between the 4S and the original Verizon iPhone 4 - you have to roam either way. It's only Europe that's the difference it seems...

I'm still ticked I can't get my out-of-contract, fully paid AT&T 3GS unlocked. :mad: Hopefully a jailbreak unlock will come, and since it's not my primary phone anymore I don't have to care about leaving it non-updated.

I am okay with the CDMA being locked since 90% of the world probably uses GSM. I am sure where ever you travel there will be a GSM network available to you if the GSM slot is unlocked.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
What a confusion! Can't just sell it unlocked, and charge you ETF if you abandon their plan? All this locking BS is just upsetting.
T-Mobile has always unlocked my phones for international use, free of any charge. Then I'll choose the carrier I want to use when I travel.
It seems that Sprint wants to charge an extra fee to allow international use of the iPhone??? WTH!?

I guess it makes more sense to buy an unlock phone and chose whatever carrier you want.

Mac OS Bobcat

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
Houston TX
This would have put Sprint ahead of the competition. If it were true then I'd have actually gotten the phone under sprint...oh well. Ill just wait till its sold fully unlocked and get a prepaid plan as planned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.