Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrmoe

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2009
What a confusion! Can't just sell it unlocked, and charge you ETF if you abandon their plan? All this locking BS is just upsetting.
T-Mobile has always unlocked my phones for international use, free of any charge. Then I'll choose the carrier I want to use when I travel.
It seems that Sprint wants to charge an extra fee to allow international use of the iPhone??? WTH!?

I guess it makes more sense to buy an unlock phone and chose whatever carrier you want.

Except you cannot use AT&T or Verizon with the unlocked phone in the US, which is why this whole thing is stupid.

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Wirelessly posted (Palm Pre: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

If this will roam on international GSM carriers, what's stopping it from roaming locally on AT&T? GPS? Or could it be blocked not to roam on that network?

And what's with everyone not getting the phone just because of this? If all carriers do this, what's keeping you from Sprint?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
Apple has 1 million pre-orders

they just do not care ...

the only alternate is unlocked GSM iPhone 4S for $649, then we will not upgrade every year, may be once two or three years ...

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
if you're important AND smart you would get a local sim which is dirt cheap, use google voice to check your voicemail/send receive text.

Not possible if you need to have a confidential conversation with proprietary information.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
AFAIK, if you sign up for a plan, and later the carrier sends you a letter saying the Terms & Conditions of the contract have changed, you have the right to terminate the contract without having to pay the Early Termination Fee.
Could someone else confirm this to be true?

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
Well that's a let down.. I'm out of the country about 30% of the year. That feature alone would have got me to switch from ATT to Sprint!

Best of both worlds! Unlimited Data at home and freedom when abroad...

That's too bad! Sprint if you ever see this there are a lot of business customers who travel internationally that would love to have a feature like that!

@19.95 per megabyte abroad with ATT I usually just turn my iPhone off and use a cheap local burner or Skype.

Kevin
Mister880

chances are that if you're going to use this for business in another country it's going to be reimbursed by your employer or a tax deduction.

Sprint and VZW want that corporate business travel money

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Except you cannot use AT&T or Verizon with the unlocked phone in the US, which is why this whole thing is stupid.

Crap! I didn't know that! It's incredible that none of this non-sense happens with other phones. Only with the iPhone. And I don't believe it's Apple's idea, but the U.S. Carriers forcing their conditions to Apple.

I never had to pay extra to tether my phone with T-Mobile, but now carriers want to charge an extra "tethering fee". All thanks to darn AT&T that keeps coming up with these stupid ideas.:mad:

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
they just do not care ...

the only alternate is unlocked GSM iPhone 4S for $649, then we will not upgrade every year, may be once two or three years ...

aaarrrggghhhhh....

so now the only option for us international oriented people is to buy a full price $649 iPhone, pay full price for the ATT contract and on top of that we don't even have LTE in our expensive unlocked phone. In three years the lack of LTE actually could matter a lot.

I still don't understand why I can't buy an unlocked iPhone and activate it on CDMA carriers like sprint. Is this a hardware issue or are Verizon and Sprint just bone headed?

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
Wirelessly posted (Palm Pre: Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

Diode said:
Sprint and Verizon can do this cause the US Government lets these companies do whatever the hell they want. They can do ridiculous things like this cause there is nobody to challenge them. Got to love capitalism..

There is simply no reason for Sprint to cripple a device just in the name of profit...

Or you can look at it for the opposite direction - you have to love our system that allows corporations to pay off politicians to keep them from passing laws that would prevent this. Got to love crony capitalism.....

I hate that corporations have to pay off and lobby politicians to not pass laws. Politicians shouldn't be passing regulating this stuff anyway. It's none of their business. If consumers didn't like it, they can go to another carrier who does offer it. I'm glad Dan Hesse talked up less government intervention on stage the other day. Consumers need to get out of this nanny state mentality and start thinking for themselves.

Long live freedom!!

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Crap! I didn't know that! It's incredible that none of this non-sense happens with other phones. Only with the iPhone. And I don't believe it's Apple's idea, but the U.S. Carriers forcing their conditions to Apple.

I don't think there is any other phone that currently has both CDMA and GSM capabilities, or at least one worth talking about.

But unlocking has always been an issue.

Edit: Apparently some Androids are dual-mode.

jent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
The carriers are free to come up with their own policies. I am upset that they have all chosen to lock their phones (after all, the customers have still signed a two-year contract), but I understand their decision and will live by it. What I find utterly irresponsible, though, is that Sprint "blames" it on "technology differences" when it reality they have chosen to lock the phone. There is no technology difference to be had here (or am I mistaken). Shame on you for intentionally misleading (lying, really) to your customers.

MacNewsFix

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2007
Twin Cities
As someone whose company travels internationally: :mad:

In some countries, you can score a pre-paid SIM card running about $0.49 USD per minute versus Sprint's international rate packages that are around $1.70 per minute. We have our Blackberry phones' data services deactivated due to the astronomical cost that could be incurred were they to stay on (and at the suggestion of Sprint's international call services department), thus negating the benefit of a smartphone when it would be most useful.

Boo, Sprint. Boo. Let us use pre-paid cards if we choose.

Last edited:

clibinarius

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2010
NY

I hate that corporations have to pay off and lobby politicians to not pass laws. Politicians shouldn't be passing regulating this stuff anyway. It's none of their business. If consumers didn't like it, they can go to another carrier who does offer it. I'm glad Dan Hesse talked up less government intervention on stage the other day. Consumers need to get out of this nanny state mentality and start thinking for themselves.

Long live freedom!!

Buh, you do realize they're passing laws to NOT do this. After all, until the recent exemption, didn't the DCMA make it illegal to do many things?

You mean that regulation was for the consumer?

Corporations more often pay people off to pass laws they want.

I hate Ron Paul, but you really should think about what his arguments are before you spout him incorrectly. I disagree regulation is evil, but Ron does note: It works both ways.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
^^ The DMCA exemption for unlocking has been around basically the whole time (since 2006). The one for jailbreaking is new since 2010, mostly because it wasn't an issue the lawmakers understood....

I don't think there is any other phone that currently has both CDMA and GSM capabilities, or at least one worth talking about.

But unlocking has always been an issue.

FWIW there are some (that I don't want but someone might). There's a CDMA/GSM Droid 2.

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
There is some confusion over the term "unlocked".

Aren't the phones for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint basically the same? And "world-capable"?

If the GSM SIM were "unlocked", and you were on Sprint or Verizon, what's to prevent you from using a US-based SIM (such as H2O) in the US?

In other words, do you really expect Verizon & Sprint to sell an unlocked GSM phone (that works on CDMA) that Apple will be selling for $450 more?

BlackBerry has sold world phones through Verizon, and "unlocking" the GSM SIM basically meant you could use GSM overseas - the phone was still locked to the SIM that came with it.

I just talked to Sprint and they said they unlock ALL international phones for upcoming trips. The iPhone is no exception.

well, I guess most of the confusion comes from two sources:

1:) the term unlocked is not fully clear to users and sprint/verizon reps

2:) a bunch of users ask convoluted questions here in the silly hope to get a unlocked GSM phone for cheap by buying from Sprint and cancelling the contract.

number 2:) is not likely to happen and confuses the topic needlessly for people with real world need for a phone that runs on verizon/sprint/ATT in the US and that can take any GSM Sim card outside the US.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
As someone whose company travels internationally: :mad:

Boo, Sprint. Boo.

it is actually

Boo, ATT, Boo.
Boo, Verizon, Boo.
Boo, Sprint, Boo.

and more importantly apple is bed in with telecoms in this case

Boo, Apple, Boo.

may be some strong words, but this is 4th iteration of iPhone still locked to the carriers ... :eek:

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
FWIW there are some (that I don't want but someone might). There's a CDMA/GSM Droid 2.

Yes, I just looked that up right after I posted that.

But, it looks like that is only available on Verizon Wireless, just CDMA in the US. So is there any dual-mode phone that is available across both CDMA and GSM carriers in the US? That might be contributing to why this debate seems to be iPhone only.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
2:) a bunch of users ask convoluted questions here in the silly hope to get a unlocked GSM phone for cheap by buying from Sprint and cancelling the contract.

we are not going to buy Cheap iPhone from sprint (it is till $200 + $250 + blah +blah fees), what we are looking a iPhone use here in USA with or with out contract and the same damn iPhone use in international with out breaking the bank ...

It is not funny, my wife's Iphone is at home for 3 months when she traveled outside of USA because we need to pay hefty international roaming plans ...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
So is there any dual-mode phone that is available across both CDMA and GSM carriers in the US? That might be contributing to why this debate seems to be iPhone only.

I think you're right -- Apple may be the first one who has done this as a product simplification (that is, to reduce the number of variants they build, as opposed to as a way to give CDMA phones more international usability).

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
I think you're right -- Apple may be the first one who has done this as a product simplification (that is, to reduce the number of variants they build, as opposed to as a way to give CDMA phones more international usability).

nope there are other phones available with both CDMA/GSM it is not invented by Apple.

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
Early termination fees

They may miss out on everyone who was going to scheme Sprint by buying a phone and turning right around to cancel service. Sprint doesn't want those sales anyway.

No one would do that -- they'd still have to pay the early cancellation penalty. I don't know what that is on Sprint, but I'm pretty sure on Verizon it's $350 -- enough to recover the phone subsidy, even at the beginning of the contract.

Yes, that's correct. It wouldn't be a loss to Sprint, but they would still be missing out on collecting potential international roaming fees, which in effect would narrow the profit margins after taking the $200 subsidy into consideration.

I'm sure if this were true, many people in this situation would get the most basic voice plan, and then cancel data plan, and keep for two years.

Again, I don't know about Sprint, but I'm pretty sure that on other carriers cancelling or downgrading any part of the plan results in paying the early termination fee.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Again, I don't know about Sprint, but I'm pretty sure that on other carriers cancelling or downgrading any part of the plan results in paying the early termination fee.

Nope. I've changed and cancelled different parts of my AT&T plans many times over. The only stipulation is that you have a voice plan for the two years.

People on Family Plans who are upgrade swapping are doing exactly this: ordering an iPhone with data plan on one line, activating the phone on another line, then canceling the data plan on the first line.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006

If this will roam on international GSM carriers, what's stopping it from roaming locally on AT&T? GPS? Or could it be blocked not to roam on that network?

And what's with everyone not getting the phone just because of this? If all carriers do this, what's keeping you from Sprint?
If you're roaming, then you aren't swapping SIM cards as you move from one nation to another. You're using a single SIM card, issued by one particular carrier in one particular nation.

As you move out of one country and into another, your phone automatically identifies itself to the foreign carriers and says that its SIM card "belongs" to your home carrier. If the foreign carrier has a roaming agreement in place with your home carrier, then the foreign network will accept the connection and you will keep on going as though nothing happened.

As provided out of the box, your phone would not roam on AT&T's network, because AT&T would see that the phone has a SIM in it which "belongs" to Sprint -- and since AT&T doesn't have any roaming agreements in place with Sprint, the connection would be rejected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.