Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 7, 2011, 01:54 PM   #1
hoogen
macrumors regular

Upgrade to Galaxy S2 Skyrocket from iPhone 4?

hello all. I am considering getting the newly released Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on AT&T. I currently have an iphone 4 and i have an early upgrade. I live in Houston so i would be able to fully utilize the 4G LTE, if it wasnt for that i wouldnt consider the phone. If i were to get the GS2 Skyrocket i would keep the iphone 4 and either sell it later on down the road or switch back to it if i ended up not liking the GS2 Skyrocket/android. I have had iphones since the 2g and really feel like trying something different.

I would like to get yalls opinions on this. thanks!
hoogen is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 01:56 PM   #2
nfl46
macrumors 601

Get the S2 Skyrocket. It looks like you will keep your iPhone 4 if you purchase the S2. Hey, best of both worlds!
Old Nov 7, 2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Edge1978
macrumors regular

Since the release of the iPhone 4, I played the Android vs iPhone game. I have tried quite a few Androids, but it's become redundant because I ALWAYS come back to the iPhone. So even though some of the new Android's that are out there look very tempting, I'm not even going to waste my time.

But to each their own.
Edge1978 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 02:00 PM   #4
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogen View Post
hello all. I am considering getting the newly released Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on AT&T. I currently have an iphone 4 and i have an early upgrade. I live in Houston so i would be able to fully utilize the 4G LTE, if it wasnt for that i wouldnt consider the phone. If i were to get the GS2 Skyrocket i would keep the iphone 4 and either sell it later on down the road or switch back to it if i ended up not liking the GS2 Skyrocket/android. I have had iphones since the 2g and really feel like trying something different.

I would like to get yalls opinions on this. thanks!
Give it a shot... Though if I were you I would buy a 4s on contract and then sell it for a good profit and use the profit to by the s2 skyrocket for cheaper off contract. You could make 200 bucks easy doing that. Especially since android phones have a lower unsubsidized price than iPhones.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 02:05 PM   #5
SurferMan
macrumors 65816

whats the difference between the S2 and the S2 Rocket? Is it just the larger screen and LTE?
SurferMan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 02:27 PM   #6
Stealthipad
Banned

I picked up the Skyrocket on Saturday and returned it today! It was just too big. I love my SG2 but just the little extra size was too much.

Also no decent cases and I do not think we will see many for this phone.
Stealthipad is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 02:30 PM   #7
aneftp
macrumors 68040

With Samsungs notorious slow history of Android updates in USA, wait for Galaxy Nexus.

Verizon has exclusive for probably one-three months.

But you won't get ice cream for samsung until Spring 2012 at the earliest in USA.

Thats why I would be hesitant about Samsung.

They still haven't updated any of their Galaxy S phones in USA to gingerbread while the rest of world has gotten it 4-6 months ago.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 02:32 PM   #8
steviem
macrumors 68020

What aneftp said... You'll get more mileage from the galaxy nexus.
steviem is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 03:22 PM   #9
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Give it a shot... Though if I were you I would buy a 4s on contract and then sell it for a good profit and use the profit to by the s2 skyrocket for cheaper off contract. You could make 200 bucks easy doing that. Especially since android phones have a lower unsubsidized price than iPhones.
Can you do simple math? What the heck are you talking about? The original gs2 for att costs $549 off contract. The skyrocket will *at least* cost that much. *Please explain how He is supposed to make $200 "easy" by buying a 4s on contract, selling it, and then paying $549 for an off-contract skyrocket? I would like you to explain this in detail.*
The only way to make $200 when buying a $549 device is if he made $749 from the iPhone transaction. How in the world would that be possible?
For example, the $200 16gb 4S. Buying it, he is already down $200. Now just to BREAK EVEN when buying the skyrocket off contract, he would have to sell that iPhone for $749. To make $200 off the whole thing, he would have to sell the iPhone for $949.*
$949 minus the $200 he paid to upgrade = $749
$749 minus the $549 off contract price of the skyrocket = $200 left over.*
Old Nov 7, 2011, 03:29 PM   #10
jca24
macrumors 6502a

Don't do it, android really does suck as do cheaply made plastic samsung phones.

thank you
jca24 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Highcroft
macrumors regular

You could also look into the HTC Vivid.
Highcroft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:26 PM   #12
fins831
macrumors 6502a

I'd try the skyrocket. Lets face it, ATT's 4G LTE network is very small and since you have coverage, I'd give it a try, see how the speeds are, and how the phone is...you have 2 weeks to return it, and if you are grandfathered in with unlimited data, it doesn't hurt to give it a try.

If I had the option to go LTE right now, I'd prob return my iPhone 4S until next year, and grab the LTE version when Apple releases it.
fins831 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 04:54 PM   #13
Bobby Corwen
macrumors 68000

OP do you watch a lot of video on your phone? That's the only reasonable reason to explore other phones. It is a richer viewing experience but thats already iPad territory.
Bobby Corwen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:08 PM   #14
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
Can you do simple math? What the heck are you talking about? The original gs2 for att costs $549 off contract. The skyrocket will *at least* cost that much. *Please explain how He is supposed to make $200 "easy" by buying a 4s on contract, selling it, and then paying $549 for an off-contract skyrocket? I would like you to explain this in detail.*
The only way to make $200 when buying a $549 device is if he made $749 from the iPhone transaction. How in the world would that be possible?
For example, the $200 16gb 4S. Buying it, he is already down $200. Now just to BREAK EVEN when buying the skyrocket off contract, he would have to sell that iPhone for $749. To make $200 off the whole thing, he would have to sell the iPhone for $949.*
$949 minus the $200 he paid to upgrade = $749
$749 minus the $549 off contract price of the skyrocket = $200 left over.*
Check eBay prices. New S2 go for about 400-450 bucks. IPhone 4s as much as 700...
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:13 PM   #15
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca24 View Post
Don't do it, android really does suck as do cheaply made plastic samsung phones.

thank you
There is no doubt you have never used a Galaxy S2.

Stealthipad is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 05:22 PM   #16
mark28
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jca24 View Post

thank you
Really? Samsung is the #1 smartphone seller and Android has the biggest market share.
mark28 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2011, 06:14 PM   #17
DaveOP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
There is no doubt you have never used a Galaxy S2.

I had the AT&T S2 for about a week before returning it and getting a 4S. I'm trying really, really hard to like Android, honest to God. For whatever reason I always find myself coming back to the iPhone. This time, the phone did the sleep of death a few times, and it's just not as fluid. Plus, I am heavily invested in the Ecosystem, and apps like Doubletwist just didn't replace iTunes (Yes, I know) for all my music, and podcast subscriptions.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 06:38 PM   #18
treyjustice
macrumors 65816

I had the infuse 4G and Thrill 4G for a few months each. They are cool but I ended up getting another iPhone 4 and I love it so much more. I am tempted to use my upgrade on a skyrocket for the LTE in DFW but I am going to stick with my iphone 4 for now.
Old Nov 7, 2011, 08:54 PM   #19
DanteMann
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthipad View Post
I picked up the Skyrocket on Saturday and returned it today! It was just too big. I love my SG2 but just the little extra size was too much.

Also no decent cases and I do not think we will see many for this phone.
size.
DanteMann is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:16 AM   #20
hoogen
macrumors regular

thanks for all the replies everyone! i ended up going to best buy and i bought the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket to try out, since i have 30 days to return it. I really like it. It took a little getting used to, which was expected since i used an iphone for almost 4 years. im still going to hold onto my iphone just in case i change my mind.
hoogen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:28 AM   #21
Stealthipad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoogen View Post
thanks for all the replies everyone! i ended up going to best buy and i bought the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket to try out, since i have 30 days to return it. I really like it. It took a little getting used to, which was expected since i used an iphone for almost 4 years. im still going to hold onto my iphone just in case i change my mind.
Good for you! I go back and forth between my 4S and SG2 all the time.
Stealthipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 07:28 AM   #22
MattG
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOP View Post
I had the AT&T S2 for about a week before returning it and getting a 4S. I'm trying really, really hard to like Android, honest to God. For whatever reason I always find myself coming back to the iPhone. This time, the phone did the sleep of death a few times, and it's just not as fluid. Plus, I am heavily invested in the Ecosystem, and apps like Doubletwist just didn't replace iTunes (Yes, I know) for all my music, and podcast subscriptions.

Integration, integration, integration...that's why you keep coming back. When you've experienced how well the iPhone integrates with everything -- app store, Mac/PC, third-party vendor hardware and software -- it's hard to go to Android after that. Everything seems so disparate in comparison. It's cliche but with the iOS ecosystem, everything just works. Yes it's not as tweak-able and there are things you can do with Android that maybe you cannot do with iOS, but the things that do work, work really really well.
MattG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2011, 11:56 AM   #23
bjb.butler
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to bjb.butler Send a message via Skype™ to bjb.butler
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
Check eBay prices. New S2 go for about 400-450 bucks. IPhone 4s as much as 700...
Please, show me the math of how he could make $200 with your plan. Include all the prices in each step. I don't see how it's realistically possible, and I think you were just flapping your gums
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:00 PM   #24
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

I wouldn't buy it based on the daft name… sounds more like a firework
Old Nov 8, 2011, 12:32 PM   #25
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjb.butler View Post
Please, show me the math of how he could make $200 with your plan. Include all the prices in each step. I don't see how it's realistically possible, and I think you were just flapping your gums
You have no concept of how much people are willing to pay for the new iPhone just after launch. You could easily sell for enough to cover the contract price of the iPhone and the full price of another.
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone