Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
You have no concept of how much people are willing to pay for the new iPhone just after launch. You could easily sell for enough to cover the contract price of the iPhone and the full price of another.

And you don't know how to read. I never said that he couldn't sell an iphone and cover the upgrade cost plus the off contract cost of the skyrocket. What I said is that it's darn near impossible to do all that AND make $200 off the whole transaction.

Maybe you should re-read my original post... hopefully your reading comprehension will be better the second time 'round :rolleyes:

Raptura

Suspended
Sep 6, 2008
Toronto, Canada / London, UK
Do it. I upgraded from the iPhone 4 to the Galaxy S2 LTE from Rogers in Canada. It's probably the best thing I've done in a while. It's a beautiful device, super fast and sleeker than the iPhone 4. It's similar to the Skyrocket.

It's a nice change from having the 3G then 4 and now the an Android phone. :)

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Because the 4S was such a downer, I wanted the iphone 5. But decided to go over to Android with the new Galaxy S II Skyrocket that has more goodies than the iphone could hope for and it supports full 4g LTE speeds. :)

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I checked out the Skyrocket in person. Its nice. I used to have the S2 (4.3" version) on AT&T. Side by Side, its not that noticeable of screen difference. 4.5" to 4.3". The back of the Skyrocket is so much better than the regular one. 4.5" really isn't that bad after you use it for a while. I honestly cannot wait until Apple increases the iPhone screen to at least 4". I strongly dislike watching Netflix on my 4S, but it was great on the 4.3" S2 I had. But I still prefer iOS over Android.

Cuneyd

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
hello all. I am considering getting the newly released Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket on AT&T. I currently have an iphone 4 and i have an early upgrade. I live in Houston so i would be able to fully utilize the 4G LTE, if it wasnt for that i wouldnt consider the phone. If i were to get the GS2 Skyrocket i would keep the iphone 4 and either sell it later on down the road or switch back to it if i ended up not liking the GS2 Skyrocket/android. I have had iphones since the 2g and really feel like trying something different.

I would like to get yalls opinions on this. thanks!
dont you mean downgrade?

realized

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
This is actually an interesting topic for me because from an iphone 4, I was waiting for the 4s (or 5), and was very disappointed in the outcome. From there I decided to give android a try and have been very happy since.

I’m not going to go into what does what better though I could having been an iphone user for 4 years and an android user for a month.
However, I wanted to bring up something else.

At thanksgiving I was with family members (all of which by the way have iphones, from iphone 3gs’s to iphone 4s’s).
We decided to do some speed tests with the app speedtest.net.

In ever single test the iphone 4’s and 4s’s got around 1-3mb/sec
In all of my tests with the SGS2 skyrocket, I never got below 6mb/sec (and got 8 a few times also depending on server I used).

Mind you, the iphone 4s is a 3G phone and the SGS2 is a LTE phone, however – im in a 3g only area. So we are on the exact same network.
Interesting fact.

AlohaMaui

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
For $0.01, i would definitely get the Galaxy S2 skyrocket if LTE were available in my area!!

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I picked up the Skyrocket on Saturday and returned it today! It was just too big. I love my SG2 but just the little extra size was too much.

Also no decent cases and I do not think we will see many for this phone.

Returned so soon? Sounds like an impulse buy.

Yet suddenly you're the expert on cases?

There's a little known resource called Google :)

Apparently it's a mystery to you.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
To those that jumped ship to android, do you own Mac computers, and do you use iCal and Contacts? How was your experience in transitioning to gcal and gcontacts? Which method did you use? How do you handle music sync? Did you miss the integration with iCloud (bookmark sync, iMessage/FaceTime)? Finally, how do you handle backing up of your phone (in computer and clould) in case it crashes or becomes stolen?

These are issues that I faced when I attempted to switch a month ago. I want to see if you guys have any better ideas. Thanks.

AlohaMaui

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
Planning to move to Samsung Galaxy S3 when it comes out early next year.

No, dont use Macs/iCal/Contacts/iCloud/Facetime.

The songs are all backed up on my computer and another backup on backup hdd. Same for photos etc.
I sync up every once in a while.

To those that jumped ship to android, do you own Mac computers, and do you use iCal and Contacts? How was your experience in transitioning to gcal and gcontacts? Which method did you use? How do you handle music sync? Did you miss the integration with iCloud (bookmark sync, iMessage/FaceTime)? Finally, how do you handle backing up of your phone (in computer and clould) in case it crashes or becomes stolen?

These are issues that I faced when I attempted to switch a month ago. I want to see if you guys have any better ideas. Thanks.

JForestZ34

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2007
I was out in Las Vegas 2 weeks ago and I had an upgrade available. I went to a ATT store and checked out the skyrocket.. I liked the phone after playing with it for a while so I bought it. It takes really good pictures and video and the phone is fast.

LV has LTE and on the speedtest I did I was getting consistent speeds of 13-15 MBPS download and 8 upload.

But after having if for a while I was thinking about trying out the new 4S. My skyrocket had some volume button issues but other than that it was a great phone..

Went to Apple.com and reserved a 4s and picked it up on monday. Just as I thought it would be.. AWESOME

Still the skyrocket was a solid and great device but I just prefer the 4s over it.

James

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Really? Samsung is the #1 HANDSET SHIPPER and Android has the biggest market share.

There, I fixed it for you. Samsung does not report sales of handsets, only the amount shipped. Samsung makes both dumb phones and smartphone handsets which it lumps together as the number shipped. And since when does market share guarantee that the product being manufactured is a quality product.

Dmunjal

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2010
If you like speed, you'll love the Skyrocket. Houston will probably get you 30-50 Mbps consistently with 50-80 ms latency. As good as Wifi. And the battery life is better than any other LTE phone on Verizon. Hope you still have unlimited!

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
See signature. I'm dying for LTE, but not at the expense of that which I've expensed.

Last edited:

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Maybe from the 4 not the 4s

Yes it is over the 4S. 4S doesn't have a AMOLED big 4.5 screen, it doesn't support 4G or LTE. We could go on and on. Major features the iphone 4S is lacking. The Skyrocket see's 30-50mb down a second on speed tests. Fast internet speeds.

Though the battery life hasn't been that great. I just did a factory reset to see if it helps as I was charging it twice-three times a day. Now after doing that, it seems to drastically helped as it only lost a few % over the last few hours.

Still have 2 weeks to decide if I am returning it or keeping it. The benefits are just great with it over the iphone 4 or 4s.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wouldn't call getting an Android phone a "Upgrade". Especially from an iPhone 4.

nizmoz

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wouldn't call getting an Android phone a "Upgrade". Especially from an iPhone 4.

Features it is. But my skyrocket is going back. Can't deal with the crappy battery life.

throttlemeister

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2009
Netherlands
Integration, integration, integration...that's why you keep coming back. When you've experienced how well the iPhone integrates with everything -- app store, Mac/PC, third-party vendor hardware and software -- it's hard to go to Android after that. Everything seems so disparate in comparison. It's cliche but with the iOS ecosystem, everything just works. Yes it's not as tweak-able and there are things you can do with Android that maybe you cannot do with iOS, but the things that do work, work really really well.

You mean vendor lock-in. I like my iPhone 4, but there are other phones out there I like a lot more. But I can barely use them because I work on a Mac, my contacts are in Address Book, my appointments in iCal and my music in iTunes. The _only_ phone that syncs properly with all of them is the iPhone. If syncing was not an issue, I would have a WP7.5 phone any day of the week over my iPhone. And I still might, if SyncMate gets updated to support WP7.5.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.