Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
It's January on the International Dateline.

Welcome to Photo of the Day. The POTD thread was started by iGary in May, 2006 and converted to a monthly thread in November 2007 by Arn. POTD is one of the most popular picture groups on MacRumors, often exceeding 500 posts and 20,000 views per month.

Photo of the Day is intended to be a showcase for your best pictures. There is no limit to your gear, just your imagination. P&S and film cameras are welcome along with DSLRs. There are no themes like the Fortnightly Challenge and Weekly Contest, and no winners (or losers) either.

Policies

*One Photo per Day - Don't post more than one photo each day.

*Quote with Thumbnails - When you quote an image please restore it's thumbnail before replying. You can do this either by installing the AutoTIMG browser extension or by editing the code by hand.

*Multi-Quote - To comment on several photos, click the Multi-Quote button. This puts all your comments in one post. Multi-Quoting is required on all of the MacRumors forums.

*SFW (Safe for Work) only - This is a site - wide rule. If you wouldn't show it in a public place, then it's NSFW (not safe for work). Think before you post.

*Describe your photo - Tell what it is and where you took it. If you know the EXIF data of a photo, include it. The following EXIF fields are recommended: Camera, ISO, Focal Length, Shutter/Aperture and Lens.

*Photography forum tutorials - If you need any help with posting, try one of these tutorials.

Posting Photos to Photo Forums from Flickr and ImageShack

How to Quote, Multi-Quote and Edit Posts

Restoring Thumbnails in Photo Quotes (AutoTIMG Extension and Code Editing)

For One-Click Access, they are all here: Designer Dale's Google Docs Folder:

Note: Anyone may start the Photo of the Day thread on the first of the month GMT. Please copy a quote of this post or download the Welcome file from here when you do. Both maintain all the formatting and links.

And a Happy New Year to you all!

Dale

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
I'll start...
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! Got this shot when outside with the neighbors last night..

Attachments

• 12-2011-Nikon-D7k- 15.jpg
    12-2011-Nikon-D7k- 15.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 403

ravendhi

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Winterfell
At this rate, it will take the CSI guys forever to solve this one......

Attachments

• slowcsi.jpg
    slowcsi.jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 323

flosseR

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2009
the cold dark north
What settings did you use?

Hi,
ISO: 100
Focal Length: 12mm
Aperture: F9
Exposure: 30seconds
Compensation: 0ev
Focus: Manual to infinity
Triggered remotely with a Hähnel Radio remote. In case you are interested, I am the guy closest to the one with the green jacket in the group of people :)

Lit the firework, triggered, walked over to the other guys and watched... shot about 8 more, all of them on flickr.
But.. lucky shot I guess...REALLY lucky..

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Just editing some photo's of new years and the morning after and came across this one that I liked the expression of.

Any feedback would be great on any part of the shot!

img3134jj.jpg

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
New Year's Eve family fireworks at 9:30pm at Melbourne, Victoria.

[url=http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7018/6609422563_b72c8c9ac2_z.jpg]Image[/url]
Photo-7022 by Tragesty, on Flickr

The colours in this are fantastic! Beautiful shot, really love this, shame the boats were in the way of the water, bet the reflection would've been amazing, still, absolutely lovely shot.

Just editing some photo's of new years and the morning after and came across this one that I liked the expression of.

Any feedback would be great on any part of the shot!

Nice colour tone editing, my only criticism is it seems as though the shutter speed was too slow on this shot and you picked up a little bit of motion blur from the subject, could've upped the ISO a bit higher to compensate, just looks a bit blurry, not badly, but it's noticeable. Other than that it's a really well shot photo, the lighting is really nice and warm on the subject which helps against the blinds in the background, that and a thin DOF is always nice :p

Oberhammer

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2010
zoo002.jpg

SF Zoo

Basic Image Information

Camera: Canon EOS 5D Mark II
Lens: EF24-105mm f/4L IS USM
Shot at 105 mm
Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/800 sec, f/4, ISO 200
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Focus: At 1.9m, with a depth of field of about 7.2cm, (from about 3.5cm before the focus point to about 3.6cm after)
Date: January 1, 2012 12:22:37PM
File: IMG_7816.CR2
710 × 1,023 JPEG
206,975 bytes (0.20 megabytes) Image compression: 91%
4% crop of the 4,998 × 3,469 (17.3 megapixel) original

Image URL: http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll206/oberhammer/Best Photos/zoo002.jpg

Last edited:

JAWJr

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2011
Oregon, USA
Pebble Beach golf course, January 1. Happy New Years everyone!

Attachments

• IMG_2816.jpg
    IMG_2816.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 254

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010

600mm, 1/125sec, F/8, ISO200.

Unfortunately, heat haze was starting to get nasty - so that was the only shot I got from that location that was even half decent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.