Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Okay so a friend of mine showed me an app on his android phone called mysms that does cloud text messaging. It was pretty cool. It allowed him to be able to read, reply, delete, and compose text messages all from the computer. The whole time whether he did it on his computer or his phone the text messages stayed in sync. Since I use my computer a lot this would be pretty convenient to not have to go get my phone every time I receive a text message. I look on the mysms site and they state that the iphone app can't do cloud texting or sync any of that because Apple doesn't allow it! Then I look in the app store for other solutions and I literally could not find one single cloud texting solution. Hell the mangy old sidekick 4g comes with cloud texting stock! If a crappy phone like the sidekick 4g is capable why can't my iphone?! This is a feature that I would find very useful and see no reason why my iphone isn't capable of doing this.
*rant off*

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Nobody said the iPhone was perfect.

Heck, plenty of my old, non-smartphones have auto-reject lists, long term LED notifications, and calling profiles... things that the iPhone STILL doesn't have, but would be nice.

Sadly, no one phone is perfect- you just have to find the one with the least faults for what you need.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
I already do this with google voice and my iphone.

Yeah but with google voice then you are texting from a totally different phone number. I don't want to text people from a different phone number, I want to use my phone number. Having to have two different numbers just to text people from my computer is extremely clunky and inefficient.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Yeah but with google voice then you are texting from a totally different phone number. I don't want to text people from a different phone number, I want to use my phone number. Having to have two different numbers just to text people from my computer is extremely clunky and inefficient.

Then make your Google Voice number your main number.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Then make your Google Voice number your main number.

No offense but that is a horrible solution. Why would I want to change my number from a number that I've used for 10 years so that I can use my computer to send a receive texts? That makes no sense. This is a capability the iphone should have. There's no reason that it shouldn't be capable of cloud text.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
No offense but that is a horrible solution. Why would I want to change my number from a number that I've used for 10 years so that I can use my computer to send a receive texts? That makes no sense. This is a capability the iphone should have. There's no reason that it shouldn't be capable of cloud text.

You can port your number to google voice, he didn't mean change your number.

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
You can port your number to google voice, he didn't mean change your number.

That still isn't a very good solution. That would mean he would then have two phone numbers and every time he made an outgoing call he'd have to use an app for the google voice number to show up on the call. Not to mention that Google Voice still doesn't support mms yet either. I don't think him having two phone numbers is going to be a feasible solution.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada
It doesn't have it, and probably wont have it anytime in the near future. Buy an Android phone and quit complaining. Really it's that simple.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Is there an app that's like the Android ICS battery meter reader? Where it tells you what app is using up what battery, and shows a graph of the battery drain rate every time it's unplugged?

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
whatsapp???

imessage???

Those are just instant messengers meaning the person I'm messaging would have to also have that and be logged on. What I'm talking about is cloud texting. Meaning I can send, receive, delete, and compose text messages from my phone or computer and they all stay in sync and they all come from my phone number. If I'm on the computer and delete the message, then the message is gone on the phone and vice versa. If I send a message from the computer it shows up on the phone as a sent message and vice versa. If my phone is on the charger and I receive a text while I'm on my computer, I get a notification on my computer where I can read and respond to the text without having to go retrieve my phone. And with cloud texting the person on the receiving end still receives the text message like any other text message. THAT is what I want. I just can't believe my iphone isn't capable of this. And having two phone numbers like some have suggested isn't an acceptable way to achieve this.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Okay, go get an Android that does it.

Unfortunately that seems to be the only solution since Apple still has yet to understand what cloud is. They talked so much about cloud but in the end their cloud capabilities are quite limited. Like I can't even store my videos in the cloud. I can't push pages and text from computer to the phone through the cloud. I can't install apps to my phone from the cloud (initiated from computer). I can't update my phone from the cloud. Now I find out I can't even text from the cloud. What the heck is the point of them pushing all this cloud talk if all they were going to do was give me a gimped rendition of the cloud?! One of the main things that had me excited about iOS 5 was the fact that this was supposed to be the update that brought us into the cloud. Guess not. :mad: I didn't buy this phone because it could do less, I bought it because it was supposed to be able to do everything the others could and then some. As time goes on I notice more and more that it really isn't true.

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Unfortunately that seems to be the only solution since Apple still has yet to understand what cloud is. They talked so much about cloud but in the end their cloud capabilities are quite limited. Like I can't even store my videos in the cloud. I can't push pages and text from computer to the phone through the cloud. I can't install apps to my phone from the cloud (initiated from computer). I can't update my phone from the cloud. Now I find out I can't even text from the cloud. What the heck is the point of them pushing all this cloud talk if all they were going to do was give me a gimped rendition of the cloud?! One of the main things that had me excited about iOS 5 was the fact that this was supposed to be the update that brought us into the cloud. Guess not. :mad: I didn't buy this phone because it could do less, I bought it because it was supposed to be able to do everything the others could and then some. As time goes on I notice more and more that it really isn't true.

Why can't you do OTA updates?

You can also turn on auto syncing for apps.

Pages/text stuff can be put on the iCloud website, if you have the apps and will auto sync to your phone.

It does do most of what you're wanting.

Jare

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2010
Canada

I hate to *cough* be the bearer of bad news, but:

#1: You can store videos via "Video Stream" app in app store, 99 cents.
#2: iWork pushes from the cloud.
#3: Download an app in iTunes, and if you've set your iPhone up properly it'll download to the device.
#4: OTA updates.

Adding "from the cloud" to things you want to do doesn't mean YOU understand what "the cloud" is, clearly there's an issue with your mindset and what "the cloud" does.

For example "I can't text from the cloud." WTF? You realize that makes no sense. You mean you can't BACK UP your texts to the cloud? Yes, you can. You want to text from your computer? Get Google Voice. But that's not "texting from the cloud", because there is no such thing. "But my number for 10 years" so what? People change numbers all the time, it's not a hard feat to tell someone "heres my new number".

Also, NO WHERE does it say that iPhones "do everything other phones can, and more" That's Androids crappy slogan. iPhones "just work", remember? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
1.Why can't you do OTA updates?

2.You can also turn on auto syncing for apps.

3.Pages/text stuff can be put on the iCloud website, if you have the apps and will auto sync to your phone.

4.It does do most of what you're wanting.
1. Show me how I can update my OS without itunes.
2. What does auto syncing have to do with what I said?
3. That is nowhere near the same thing as browsing and wanting to continue it on my phone and clicking a button and it showing up on my phone. That is nothing like if I find certain information that I want to put on my phone and highlight it on the computer then click a button and it's there to be pasted on my phone. That's nothing like if I need a map, me finding the info on the computer then clicking a button and the map shows up on my phone. What you're proposing is nothing more than saving a file then uploading it, then accessing from my phone. That is clunky and totally inefficient.
4. It doesn't do any of those things and as a whole it's starting to tick me off because it seems every time I turn around, I get ready to do something on my phone only to find out I can't do it. Not exactly what I expected when I bought what was supposed to be one of the best phones around.

#1: You can store videos via "Video Stream" app in app store, 99 cents.
#2: iWork pushes from the cloud.
#3: Download an app in iTunes, and if you've set your iPhone up properly it'll download to the device.
#4: OTA updates.

Adding "from the cloud" to things you want to do doesn't mean YOU understand what "the cloud" is, clearly there's an issue with your mindset and what "the cloud" does.

For example "I can't text from the cloud." WTF?

1. I've never purchased that app but as I understand it, it still doesn't actually reside in the cloud anyway. So from my understanding it still isn't much different than Apple's workaround implementation of it.
2. That's great for documents. But I wasn't talking about documents.
3. I'm aware of that. When I said updates I mean OS updates.

Clearly you don't have a full understanding of the cloud. What has been implemented thus far is a very small amount of cloud functionality. It is stil greatly lacking, as I stated I was very disappointed to find that none of the things I mentioned had been implemented. It seems they kept their cloud functionality VERY basic.

Last edited:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
1. Show me how I can update my OS without itunes.
Settings > General > Software Update

It seems they kept their cloud functionality VERY basic.
How many days has iCloud been out? Less than 90? Did you expect it to debut with every feature under the sun? Realistically, does it not make sense to introduce a fairly basic one, get the foundation right, and then build on that?

mysterioustko

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2011
For example "I can't text from the cloud." WTF? You realize that makes no sense. You mean you can't BACK UP your texts to the cloud? Yes, you can. You want to text from your computer? Get Google Voice. But that's not "texting from the cloud", because there is no such thing. "But my number for 10 years" so what? People change numbers all the time, it's not a hard feat to tell someone "heres my new number".

Also, NO WHERE does it say that iPhones "do everything other phones can, and more" That's Androids crappy slogan. iPhones "just work", remember? ;)
He actually makes perfect sense. It would be texting via the cloud because his computer isn't actually sending the text. He would be initiating the message's transmission from the computer but it's being sent out by going through the cloud and be sent from the cloud to the phone to be sent out. The computer is communicating with the phone via the cloud. And what he's saying is more than just backing up text messages to the cloud, they actually also stay in sync. Meaning if he sends one from the phone it shows as sent on the computer, if he deletes on the phone it will no longer be on the computer. If he sends one from the computer it will show as sent on the phone, if he deletes one from the computer it's gone from the phone.

Also I wouldn't use google voice to do that either for a few reasons. You might not see the value in not changing a number that you've had for a decade but I do, and any other reasonable person would too. I've had my number for about 8 years and I wouldn't want to change it either. There are way too many people and way too many things tied to my number...some of us like stability in our lives.

And what do his past posts have to do with anything? He made rant with a valid point. He wants to be able to utilize cloud texting and he can't and he's justifiably upset about it. I'd be upset too if i spent a fairly decent amount of money on a device only to find out later on that it wasn't capable of something I felt it should be. Personally, I didn't have cloud texting I'd be upset because I know how convenient it is since I use it. When I talk on the phone I use a bluetooth headset so I tend to leave my phone on a charger in the house. Often times when I'm on my laptop I'll go to a different part of the house. So it's very convenient to be able to get my text messages and send text messages from my laptop when my phone is upstairs. Sometimes I just don't want to go upstairs to go get my phone. It's much easier for me to just lay back on the couch and respond to my messages from my laptop.

Last edited by a moderator:

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Settings > General > Software Update

How many days has iCloud been out? Less than 90? Did you expect it to debut with every feature under the sun? Realistically, does it not make sense to introduce a fairly basic one, get the foundation right, and then build on that?

Thanks. But my issue with that is that I have to be on wifi in order to do it. While it's not a major problem it is a little bothersome (moreso when I think about that along with the other things).

As for iCloud, yeah you're probably right. But it's just that it sucks to keep finding out more and more that this thing is so limited. I mean when I first got it, it was great. But after the honeymoon period wore off I started noticing more and more things that just aren't there, and it's really starting to irritate me.

----------

He actually makes perfect sense. It would be texting via the cloud because his computer isn't actually sending the text. He would be initiating the message's transmission from the computer but it's being sent out by going through the cloud and be sent from the cloud to the phone to be sent out. The computer is communicating with the phone via the cloud. And what he's saying is more than just backing up text messages to the cloud, they actually also stay in sync. Meaning if he sends one from the phone it shows as sent on the computer, if he deletes on the phone it will no longer be on the computer. If he sends one from the computer it will show as sent on the phone, if he deletes one from the computer it's gone from the phone.

Also I wouldn't use google voice to do that either for a few reasons. You might not see the value in not changing a number that you've had for a decade but I do, and any other reasonable person would too. I've had my number for about 8 years and I wouldn't want to change it either. There are way too many people and way too many things tied to my number...some of us like stability in our lives.

And what do his past posts have to do with anything? He made rant with a valid point. He wants to be able to utilize cloud texting and he can't and he's justifiably upset about it. I'd be upset too if i spent a fairly decent amount of money on a device only to find out later on that it wasn't capable of something I felt it should be. Personally, I didn't have cloud texting I'd be upset because I know how convenient it is since I use it. When I talk on the phone I use a bluetooth headset so I tend to leave my phone on a charger in the house. Often times when I'm on my laptop I'll go to a different part of the house. So it's very convenient to be able to get my text messages and send text messages from my laptop when my phone is upstairs. Sometimes I just don't want to go upstairs to go get my phone. It's much easier for me to just lay back on the couch and respond to my messages from my laptop.

Exactly why would I want to have to use two numbers or lose a number that I have had for a long period of time. I don't want to go through having to get contact numbers changed at schools, doctors, job, clients, credit card companies, mortgage company, lawn care guy, etc. It's nice to see there's someone else on here that understands the value of cloud texts. I just hope to see it come to iOS soon.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
As for iCloud, yeah you're probably right. But it's just that it sucks to keep finding out more and more that this thing is so limited. I mean when I first got it, it was great. But after the honeymoon period wore off I started noticing more and more things that just aren't there, and it's really starting to irritate me.
IMO, in regards to "cloud texting" on the iPhone, it doesn't sound like "the cloud" is the issue. It sounds like the issue is that Apple doesn't allow third-party apps (like mysms) direct access to your text messages. The plus to that is security of your text messages. The negative is that apps like mysms won't work.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
This isn't going to help, but Apple used to have that functionality in the Address Book of Mac OS X over bluetooth. They just never implemented it with the iPhone for some reason. Not sure if they took it out in Lion. Just opened Address Book and didn't see the bluetooth symbol.

It used to work with my Sony W600 phone.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
IMO, in regards to "cloud texting" on the iPhone, it doesn't sound like "the cloud" is the issue. It sounds like the issue is that Apple doesn't allow third-party apps (like mysms) direct access to your text messages. The plus to that is security of your text messages. The negative is that apps like mysms won't work.

Thanks for your level headed responses. I appreciate them as opposed to some of the other ones. I think you are right. Not having cloud texting is more just a symptom of the deeper problem which is what you said, Apple not allowing 3rd party apps access to sms. This is extremely limiting IMO. I'm a big boy, I don't need them to babysit me. I should be able to grant an app access if I so choose to. But as a result of Apple's big brother mentality I don't have that autonomy and as a result cannot have cloud text capabilities unless Apple adds it in iOS6. It's just aggravating because it seems like every time I turn around as I contiinue to use the phone I find more and more things that I can't do.

----------

This isn't going to help, but Apple used to have that functionality in the Address Book of Mac OS X over bluetooth. They just never implemented it with the iPhone for some reason. Not sure if they took it out in Lion. Just opened Address Book and didn't see the bluetooth symbol.

It used to work with my Sony W600 phone.

You mean being able to send an address book contact out via bluetooth? See I'd even take being able to push pages and such via bluetooth to the phone, but of course we have gimped bluetooth. That was another one of the things that I found out later on down the line when I thought someone was going to send me something via bluetooth.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Okay so a friend of mine showed me an app on his android phone called mysms that does cloud text messaging. It was pretty cool. It allowed him to be able to read, reply, delete, and compose text messages all from the computer. The whole time whether he did it on his computer or his phone the text messages stayed in sync. Since I use my computer a lot this would be pretty convenient to not have to go get my phone every time I receive a text message. I look on the mysms site and they state that the iphone app can't do cloud texting or sync any of that because Apple doesn't allow it! Then I look in the app store for other solutions and I literally could not find one single cloud texting solution. Hell the mangy old sidekick 4g comes with cloud texting stock! If a crappy phone like the sidekick 4g is capable why can't my iphone?! This is a feature that I would find very useful and see no reason why my iphone isn't capable of doing this.
*rant off*

This is one of the selling points of iOS. Your messages are protected from random app developer boobs.

Years growing up with Windows taught me that unfettered access to any and all devs is a recipe for disaster. I whole heartedly embrace a few minor feature limitations. Have yet to have to go clear viruses and malware off family or friends iPhones and iPads, its freaking great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.