Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
This is one of the selling points of iOS. Your messages are protected from random app developer boobs.

Years growing up with Windows taught me that unfettered access to any and all devs is a recipe for disaster. I whole heartedly embrace a few minor feature limitations. Have yet to have to go clear viruses and malware off family or friends iPhones and iPads, its freaking great.

Apple reviews every app that goes into the app store. I'm sure they'd notice if it was sending all of your messages to a hacker. There's not really any excuse not to allow this sort of thing.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Apple reviews every app that goes into the app store. I'm sure they'd notice if it was sending all of your messages to a hacker. There's not really any excuse not to allow this sort of thing.
OP wants an app dev to be able to harvest sms messages and upload to some third party cloud service. Sounds like a hacking, malicious data mining attempt to me, there are major security issues here.

How would an Apple app reviewer know whether this service is run by a hacker or not? Especially when dev is creating suspicious apps. Its not like a 'hacker' is going to conveniently place 'hacker' in their occupation field when they enroll as a iOS developer :rollseyes:

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
OP wants an app dev to be able to harvest sms messages and upload to some third party cloud service. Sounds like a hacking, malicious data mining attempt to me, there are major security issues here.

How would an Apple app reviewer know whether this service is run by a hacker or not? Especially when dev is creating suspicious apps. Its not like a 'hacker' is going to conveniently place 'hacker' in their occupation field when they enroll as a iOS developer :rollseyes:

I forgot that he mentioned the cloud in all of this, because this feature wouldn't need the cloud from what I can gather. If the PC and phone are on the same WiFi network, no third party server need be involved. They can just communicate via the local network.

It's like the Apple Remote software to change songs on your PC, this doesn't use the cloud, just the local WiFi network.

Zcott

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2009
Belfast, Ireland
The OP may find this useful:

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-10-31/tech/30341103_1_ios-new-app-mac-users said:
An iMessage application and AirPlay mirroring are "currently in development," an unnamed source told 9 to 5 Mac

"Neither project may see the light of day," the source said, but the two features are definitely in the running for release in future versions of Mac OS X.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Okay so a friend of mine showed me an app on his android phone called mysms that does cloud text messaging. It was pretty cool. It allowed him to be able to read, reply, delete, and compose text messages all from the computer. The whole time whether he did it on his computer or his phone the text messages stayed in sync. Since I use my computer a lot this would be pretty convenient to not have to go get my phone every time I receive a text message. I look on the mysms site and they state that the iphone app can't do cloud texting or sync any of that because Apple doesn't allow it! Then I look in the app store for other solutions and I literally could not find one single cloud texting solution. Hell the mangy old sidekick 4g comes with cloud texting stock! If a crappy phone like the sidekick 4g is capable why can't my iphone?! This is a feature that I would find very useful and see no reason why my iphone isn't capable of doing this.
*rant off*
at least we don't have malware...

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)

This app is most likely Desk SMS by Koushik Dutta, a well respected Android developer.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.koushikdutta.desktopsms&hl=en

When it comes to seeing what kind of access an application has to the data on my handset, I'm warned before installing it. See: http://source.android.com/tech/security/images/image_gmail_installed.png

One thing that irks me about iOS is the lack of information presented to me as a user with what data an application has access to. No amount of Apple app reviewing is going to make you completely safe and sometimes it's handy knowing what exact data and application can access in your handset.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
One thing that irks me about iOS is the lack of information presented to me as a user with what data an application has access to. No amount of Apple app reviewing is going to make you completely safe and sometimes it's handy knowing what exact data and application can access in your handset.

Apple publishes what data apps don't have access to.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Apple publishes what data apps don't have access to.

Can you show me where please? Is it in the app store or on the device? I have the wife's iPhone handy.

Very strange as I've not noticed it before. :eek:

EDIT:
I just installed Skype on the wife's iPhone 4 and on my Galaxy Nexus. I was not warned at all what it can access on the iPhone but it appears it was able to access her contacts once logged in.

Am I missing something?

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    80.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_2012-01-08-18-42-56.png
    Screenshot_2012-01-08-18-42-56.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah but with google voice then you are texting from a totally different phone number. I don't want to text people from a different phone number, I want to use my phone number. Having to have two different numbers just to text people from my computer is extremely clunky and inefficient.

There is also not an app for turning your car into a spaceship. :rolleyes:

(If I lost you here, it's because what you are asking can't be done)

duffman9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2003
Deep in the Depths of CA
Can you show me where please? Is it in the app store or on the device? I have the wife's iPhone handy.

Very strange as I've not noticed it before. :eek:

I know what you're looking for and you don't see the equivalent when installing an iOS app. At least I've never seen that. Apps ask for permission to use location services. I don't know if this is a requirement for all apps.

I understand your worries. I remember back in the XP heydays I used to run a firewall and anti-malware. To make a long story short I don't want to relive those days. Even it means relinquishing control to Apple. I stopped worrying about it.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
I know what you're looking for and you don't see the equivalent when installing an iOS app. At least I've never seen that. Apps ask for permission to use location services. I don't know if this is a requirement for all apps.

I understand your worries. I remember back in the XP heydays I used to run a firewall and anti-malware. To make a long story short I don't want to relive those days. Even it means relinquishing control to Apple. I stopped worrying about it.

Thanks Duffman.

Apple have been doing great so far when it comes to security so there is no reason not to trust them really.

It's probably the fact I use Android that listing permissions bothers me so much. :D It didn't bother me at all when I used an iPhone but with all the recent hubbub about security these days, it's made me a bit more meticulous when installing apps on any mobile devices.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Hahaha... :)
But I don't want to treat my phone like my computer. Apple wants users to trust anything in the App store. I don't expect them to catch everything, but the hound dog is constantly patrolling.

Me neither, it's mostly common sense.

I only install apps with lots of downloads and good feedback.

I have no intentions of running an antivirus on my phone. They're not needed.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Then go get an Android phone and be happy.
I think I may do that. I am seriously considering selling this 4s and going to a more capable device.

You missed the point. You assumed that an iPhone is able to do everything the others can do and then some. I doubt that there is any phone that will fit that description. There's even less of a chance that such a device is superior in all aspects.
I constantly see posts on here where people always are saying this phone can do everything the others can do. Well as it turns out that isn't true. And the more I use my phone the more I find out how much it can't do, and yes it's disappointing.

There is also not an app for turning your car into a spaceship. :rolleyes:

(If I lost you here, it's because what you are asking can't be done)
It should be able to be done. Other phones can do it, but because Apple gimped this phone it isn't capable of it. So by your screwed up logic, I guess those other phones can turn my car into a spaceship..... PS that was an idiotic statement.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
It should be able to be done. Other phones can do it, but because Apple gimped this phone it isn't capable of it. So by your screwed up logic, I guess those other phones can turn my car into a spaceship..... PS that was an idiotic statement.

First, it was a joke. As in something to smile about. And the reason I put a smiley at the end. Last I checked, a smiley didn't mean "super serious bro", but I could be wrong on that ;) (please make note of this second smiley) Sorry you missed that.

Second, this would be something that is restricted by your service provider, I would think. Otherwise, I could easily send a text from YOUR number from anywhere, this being purely software based. Please provide some incite as to what other phones are able to do this. Perhaps I may have a response for you, or perhaps I may learn something new.

BearerOBadNews

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
First, it was a joke. As in something to smile about. And the reason I put a smiley at the end. Last I checked, a smiley didn't mean "super serious bro", but I could be wrong on that ;) (please make note of this second smiley) Sorry you missed that.

Second, this would be something that is restricted by your service provider, I would think. Otherwise, I could easily send a text from YOUR number from anywhere, this being purely software based. Please provide some incite as to what other phones are able to do this. Perhaps I may have a response for you, or perhaps I may learn something new.

I posted this earlier in the post........since you apparently missed it, a friend of mine uses an app called mysms that provides him with cloud texting, the sidekick 4g has cloud texting natively, and there are several different cloud texting solutions that are available on the android platform.

Second, your ASSUMPTION that you spoke so matter of factly about is totally off base. This has nothing to do with the carrier as the text is still being sent from the phone. The application on the computer communicates with the phone via the cloud but the text is still sent from the phone, hence why it still comes from your phone number.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I posted this earlier in the post........since you apparently missed it, a friend of mine uses an app called mysms that provides him with cloud texting, the sidekick 4g has cloud texting natively, and there are several different cloud texting solutions that are available on the android platform.

Second, your ASSUMPTION that you spoke so matter of factly about is totally off base. This has nothing to do with the carrier as the text is still being sent from the phone. The application on the computer communicates with the phone via the cloud but the text is still sent from the phone, hence why it still comes from your phone number.

Reading about mySMS, it still implies that you are using the online resources of your carrier to send the text. So... I was not wrong, even though you so badly want me to be.

At the end of the day, this isn't an innate feature the Android phone you speak of has. It is a downloadable app, and of course this is fine. WHy we don't have that same app on the iPhone is beyond me. Did Apple not pass it? I don't know. If that's the case, you have right to complain (in my eyes). If not, complain to mysms for not releasing this on the iPhone.

EDIT: It seems to be available for iPhone too... just not stateside. http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/mysms-sms-app/id428228588 Another thing that makes me believe it's our lovely US carriers at work...

Last edited:

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
No offense but that is a horrible solution. Why would I want to change my number from a number that I've used for 10 years so that I can use my computer to send a receive texts? That makes no sense. This is a capability the iphone should have. There's no reason that it shouldn't be capable of cloud text.

Um, why **** would you want to use a computer to send text messages? Why not just use your ****ing phone???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.