Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
These solutions are incredible.

Its really amazing at how good Apple is at pulling you into their eco system! Once you have an i device you'll either need to get a bunch of other i devices for more functionality or get rid of it lol.

I have a friend who is hardcore into Apple products and he was showing off his Apple TV with AirPlay and his ipad. I acted impressed because he was so proud of all this. But its something you can do with a normal tablet and a 2 dollar app (twonky), all you need is a media server or Xbox or ps3 or wifi tv or wifi bluray player and wifi. And it requires no set up on the receiver end so you can take any place that has wifi + game console or wifi TV or wifi bluray player and stream music, videos and pictures from your phone or tablet.

If nothing else Apple is a master of business.

LOL :D From above:

But its something you can do with a normal tablet(err iPad) and a 2 dollar app (twonky)(err free Apple App), all you need is a media server or Xbox or ps3 or wifi tv or wifi bluray player and wifi ( err, $99 Apple TV)

:) seem like a better solution...you use a iPad, and the Apple TV is a lot cheaper than a WIFI TV, and who wants an Xbox?

----------

Because one cannot change the e-mail address on an iTunes account to that of an existing Apple ID, and that is the issue. I got my personal BT account many years back and then set up iTunes with that e-mail address. My apple ID was set up later through MobileMe (now the same account name is used for iCloud). The iTunes account is treated by iMessage as a separate Apple ID, and since only one Apple ID can be used for iMessage, I cannot use my personal BT e-mail as an additional e-mail for iMessages. Of course, if somebody uses my mobile phone number, my me.com address or my work address the message will get to me. However, if they use my BT e-mail address it won't. Frustrating to say the least. :mad:

I don't know. You have me totally confused. Seems like you just need to start over. Have you called Apple, or gone to an Apple Store?

I guess I was using forthright, by using the same username always and same email address. Never signed up for mobile me the first time, do have it now with iCloud, but it doesn't affect anything.

miss.manson

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2011
Georgia
I think I may do that. I am seriously considering selling this 4s and going to a more capable device.

I constantly see posts on here where people always are saying this phone can do everything the others can do. Well as it turns out that isn't true. And the more I use my phone the more I find out how much it can't do, and yes it's disappointing.

It should be able to be done. Other phones can do it, but because Apple gimped this phone it isn't capable of it. So by your screwed up logic, I guess those other phones can turn my car into a spaceship..... PS that was an idiotic statement.

Have fun with android.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Wow - what a bunch of sore users

Come on people - stay on topic.

I've used Apple products since they first came out - bought them personally and for businesses - some were great, some stunk.

On my second iPhone (regular 4 - white) - had a white 3GS prior. Both unlocked and jailbroken.

I must say it was practically painful to use the 4 in original configuration - had to switch from the 3GS since the battery life had become pathetic. Thanks Apple for not making user replaceable batteries - way to go green... not. This was until the jailbreak for the new phones came out. The lack of Bossprefs and UAFaker made it fairly miserable - I had gotten so used to that convenience.

Don't pretend to think that Apple knows everything - they're about protecting their distribution model - they're not out to make the best thing from a tech angle.

The OP presented a perfectly reasonable use case - and the posters who tell him to go away are simply childish.

I bet some people on this board would diss remote controls if the Apple TV didn't come with one....

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think I may do that. I am seriously considering selling this 4s and going to a more capable device.

Then by all means go ahead and do it. It is nice to have choices and what works for me may not work for someone else. Life is too short to spend so much time on a forum complaining about a phone. If it doesn't meet your needs or expectations then get something else.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
It also doesn't work outside of the us.

I don't know in what capacity you mean it doesn't work, but I'm using Google Voice to send texts right now in Afghanistan. Since I made the account while my service was shut off, I wasn't able to port my number (still created a US based phone number), but I can't send texts using the wifi on base here.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

But its something you can do with a normal tablet(err iPad) and a 2 dollar app (twonky)(err free Apple App), all you need is a media server or Xbox or ps3 or wifi tv or wifi bluray player and wifi ( err, $99 Apple TV)

:) seem like a better solution...you use a iPad, and the Apple TV is a lot cheaper than a WIFI TV, and who wants an Xbox?

----------

I don't know. You have me totally confused. Seems like you just need to start over. Have you called Apple, or gone to an Apple Store?

I guess I was using forthright, by using the same username always and same email address. Never signed up for mobile me the first time, do have it now with iCloud, but it doesn't affect anything.

I agree if you don't have a game console and want to stream then Apple TV is a good solution. But I rarely goto someones house that doesn't having something hooked to the TV to use it like appletv with air play. All my friends do anyway so if they want to watch a movie I have all I need to do is bring an Android phone or tablet.

Like I mentioned iPhone and I pad may have this ability via an app I just haven't researched into it.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I agree if you don't have a game console and want to stream then Apple TV is a good solution. But I rarely goto someones house that doesn't having something hooked to the TV to use it like appletv with air play. All my friends do anyway so if they want to watch a movie I have all I need to do is bring an Android phone or tablet.

Like I mentioned iPhone and I pad may have this ability via an app I just haven't researched into it.

Yup, it is not even an app. It is part of the iOS operating system for iPhone, iPad. Actually, for $99, it is a cheap solution, since it also gives you iTunes movie rentals, Netflix, Youtube, internet radio, ability to view photos on your HDTV from all iDevices with just a click of a button.

cotak

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011

----------

Yes but you need that TV with your apple TV in the first place. That modern smart TV with DLNA? Well guess what with an app like imediashare on iOS or Android it will stream to any DLNA tv. So why spend 99 bucks on an apple TV in the first place? A DLNA enable tv is a much more cost effective solution as it can stream off NAS devices with DLNA support. Removing the need to be locked into only being able to play a limited library of Apple TV supported media.

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Yes but you need that TV with your apple TV in the first place. That modern smart TV with DLNA? Well guess what with an app like imediashare on iOS or Android it will stream to any DLNA tv. So why spend 99 bucks on an apple TV in the first place? A DLNA enable tv is a much more cost effective solution as it can stream off NAS devices with DLNA support. Removing the need to be locked into only being able to play a limited library of Apple TV supported media.

But for those who might not have a DLNA enabled TV, it's cheaper to buy the AppleTV. But that's the beauty of all of this. We have choices. We aren't locked down to just one of doing things.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

One would think a phone call or e-mail would do the trick as you suggest. After all, all that is required is replacing the iTunes e-mail address with the iCloud address. However Apple does not do this, instead opting to allow you to link an iTunes account with a different e-mail address to your iCloud. Because the e-mail address for the iTunes account is counted as a separate Apple ID, I cannot use it as alternative address for iMessage. And I can't start over, for I will lose all my purchases....

In any case, I agree wholeheartedly with you - taking care of this should be ever so simple, but right now it's not possible....

Last edited:

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Because one cannot change the e-mail address on an iTunes account to that of an existing Apple ID, and that is the issue. I got my personal BT account many years back and then set up iTunes with that e-mail address. My apple ID was set up later through MobileMe (now the same account name is used for iCloud). The iTunes account is treated by iMessage as a separate Apple ID, and since only one Apple ID can be used for iMessage, I cannot use my personal BT e-mail as an additional e-mail for iMessages. Of course, if somebody uses my mobile phone number, my me.com address or my work address the message will get to me. However, if they use my BT e-mail address it won't. Frustrating to say the least. :mad:

Yes, there is no way to merge them, but maybe you can change it to work.

I must admit it that can very confusing, and I thought I understood it all, until now. I see your situation.

The itunes account IS an Apple ID, not just treated as one. Nearly everyone gets an iTunes account first, and that email (if you make the ID the same as the email, recommened) is your Apple ID and should be used to start all other accounts (iCloud, iMessage, App Store, iTune purchases, etc). That is the ideal scenario.

My Apple account ID, oneusername@gmail.com, was started with iTunes, and is the same ID for all, even iCloud. I have a me.com too, oneusername@me.com, but it is assigned under the main Apple ID.

So for iMessage, I use my Apple ID (oneusername@gmail.com), and I have 3 accounts associated with iMessage: Phone #, oneusername@gmail.com, oneusername@me.com It works fine.

I think since Mobile Me is defunct, I’d get rid of it and use your iCloud for your contacts, etc or outlook. I assume you set up your phone iOS with the MobileMe account, instead of the iTunes Apple ID account. That is the problem: You need to use your iTunes Apple ID (the BT one) for your phone iOS, instead of MobileMe. The only reason I see to use MobileMe when you set up your iOS iPhone, is to preserve the contacts, calendar info. If you can recreate that, then I’d go the preferred path.

You can change your iTunes Apple ID and the email with it. I apologize if you know all this stuff.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4895
http://support.apple.com/kb/he37
http://support.apple.com/kb/HE40

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.