Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 2, 2012, 09:13 PM   #1
mtnDewFTW
macrumors 6502a

How can I get my iPhone 4 camera lens replaced?

Hi everyone! I'm sorry in advance if this question has been beat to death already.

My iPhone 4 camera lens is VERY scratched. Even though the rest of the back is pretty much scratch free. Keep in mind that I don't use a case. At first, it didn't' really bother me, but the scratches just kept on happening, so now I can't even take a picture. It looks very blurry. I tried to see if replacing the backplate would also replace the lens, but it turns out that it doesn't.

Does anyone know of any way of getting this fixed? Or how much it costs? I want to take it to Apple and have them do it, rather than to it myself at home.

Thanks so much!
mtnDewFTW is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:10 PM   #2
Mortalias
macrumors 6502

Same exact thing for me. I'm only posting in this thread in hope for an answer for both of us
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:17 PM   #3
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

It isn't the actual lens scratched, it's a part of the black plate. You'll need a new backplate. Apparently apple stores charge $29 to get it replaced.
TM WAZZA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
mtnDewFTW
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM WAZZA View Post
It isn't the actual lens scratched, it's a part of the black plate. You'll need a new backplate. Apparently apple stores charge $29 to get it replaced.
Thanks for the reply! But are you sure? I called my local Apple store to ask if it was a part of the backplate or not, and the guy on the phone said that it wasn't. And when I asked how I could get the lens replaced, he said that I would just need to come down and talk to a genius myself.
mtnDewFTW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:42 PM   #5
TM WAZZA
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnDewFTW View Post
Thanks for the reply! But are you sure? I called my local Apple store to ask if it was a part of the backplate or not, and the guy on the phone said that it wasn't. And when I asked how I could get the lens replaced, he said that I would just need to come down and talk to a genius myself.
Just did a quick search

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1271880
TM WAZZA is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:52 PM   #6
Nothlit
macrumors regular

I had the back plate of my iPhone 4 replaced for exactly this reason a couple of months ago. I can confirm that the lens you are talking about is a part of the back plate and the whole plate is easily replaced in about 2 minutes. My photos are so much clearer now -- it's like night and day! I now make sure I don't slide my phone around too much on the desk. I just put it down and pick it straight up. So far, no new scratches have appeared.

I was expecting to pay $29, but the Genius did it for free after he couldn't find the billing entry for it on his store iPod touch. This was right after the 4S came out, and I suspect they might have quietly eliminated or changed the $29 replacement program with the advent of AppleCare+. Then again, maybe he just couldn't find the entry for some other reason. The only way you can find out for sure is to make an appointment and see what they say.
Nothlit is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:02 PM   #7
mtnDewFTW
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothlit View Post
I had the back plate of my iPhone 4 replaced for exactly this reason a couple of months ago. I can confirm that the lens you are talking about is a part of the back plate and the whole plate is easily replaced in about 2 minutes. My photos are so much clearer now -- it's like night and day! I now make sure I don't slide my phone around too much on the desk. I just put it down and pick it straight up. So far, no new scratches have appeared.

I was expecting to pay $29, but the Genius did it for free after he couldn't find the billing entry for it on his store iPod touch. This was right after the 4S came out, and I suspect they might have quietly eliminated or changed the $29 replacement program with the advent of AppleCare+. Then again, maybe he just couldn't find the entry for some other reason. The only way you can find out for sure is to make an appointment and see what they say.
Thank you so much! this was hugely helpful. I made an appointment at my local Apple store. I can't wait to get this problem fixed!
mtnDewFTW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:38 PM   #8
Black Dawg Down
macrumors member

I had this happened before so now I just stick a tiny piece of scotch tape on the camera.

Beats the inconvenience of replacing the back plate.

I don't take a lot of pictures though.
Black Dawg Down is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:08 AM   #9
ip5eve
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Dawg Down View Post
I had this happened before so now I just stick a tiny piece of scotch tape on the camera.

Beats the inconvenience of replacing the back plate.

I don't take a lot of pictures though.

I vote for stick a piece of scotch tape, i did it on my iPhone 5 and it keep my camera lens cleans perfectly.
ip5eve is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

You take pictures through tape??
Givmeabrek is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ip5eve View Post
I vote for stick a piece of scotch tape, i did it on my iPhone 5 and it keep my camera lens cleans perfectly.
Because the sapphire crystal lens doesn't do that already.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:09 PM   #12
cynics
macrumors 603

Just to mention this is a VERY easy DIY repair for the 4/4S for those of you that don't live within a reasonable distance to an Apple store.

You can get the tools, new screws and a backplate from ifixit. Btw if you are going to do it you may want to replace the battery too since its right there.
Old Jul 29, 2013, 11:07 PM   #13
ip5eve
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostanddamned View Post
Because the sapphire crystal lens doesn't do that already.
So does the sapphire crystal work or not ? Why they put it on my iPhone ?
ip5eve is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:32 AM   #14
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502

Quote:
So does the sapphire crystal work or not ? Why they put it on my iPhone ?
This is known as sarcasm. I am sarcastically pointing out that the sapphire crystal lens is very good at defending against scratches.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 03:34 AM   #15
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Mother of necro threads, this is from early 2012...
Old Jul 30, 2013, 07:17 AM   #16
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Images though scotch tape can't be as good.

The 5 has a saphire cover so it will not scratch and there is no need to cover.
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 02:50 AM   #17
ip5eve
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post

Excepts iPhone 5 which phone has saphire cover ? does galaxy s3 and s4 has saphire cover ?
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:08 AM   #18
Lucille Carter
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Excepts iPhone 5 which phone has saphire cover ? does galaxy s3 and s4 has saphire cover ?
What?
Lucille Carter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 07:02 AM   #19
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille Carter View Post

Tell that to my iphone.
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #20
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
Just to mention this is a VERY easy DIY repair for the 4/4S for those of you that don't live within a reasonable distance to an Apple store.

You can get the tools, new screws and a backplate from ifixit. Btw if you are going to do it you may want to replace the battery too since its right there.
Actually, the battery can be tricky IMO. If you don't clean the connectors properly, you will have signal issues. That what keeps me from even thinking about replacing my battery...
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 03:48 PM   #21
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnDewFTW View Post
You asked about getting the lens replaced. What's on the backplate isn't actually the lens, more like a lens cover.

Believe me I've done it a few dozen times over the year. Book an appt, it's $29 since it is 'user damage'. Takes them longer to do the paperwork than the repair.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2013, 05:15 AM   #22
ip5eve
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Actually, the battery can be tricky IMO. If you don't clean the connectors properly, you will have signal issues. That what keeps me from even thinking about replacing my battery...
Clean the connector and use some saving battery soft can help a lots!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone