Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
My 3 weeks old 4S fell off of the coffee table(a foot and half drop)and chipped off a small piece on left top corner, top of the lens :mad:

Do Apple stores still replace back glass for $29?

If yes, do I have to make a genius appointment or should I just go to the store?

Thanks in advance!

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
My 3 weeks old 4S fell off of the coffee table(a foot and half drop)and chipped off a small piece on left top corner, top of the lens :mad:

Do Apple stores still replace back glass for $29?

If yes, do I have to make a genius appointment or should I just go to the store?

Thanks in advance!

I got my Iphone 4 glass replaced a few weeks ago so yes.

You might be lucky if it's under warranty I'm sure it's free. I had to pay £25 for mine as it was out of warranty.

It's the same design as the old model anyway so don't see any issues.

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
I got my Iphone 4 glass replaced a few weeks ago so yes.

You might be lucky if it's under warranty I'm sure it's free. I had to pay £25 for mine as it was out of warranty.

It's the same design as the old model anyway so don't see any issues.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, its under warranty...4S bought on launch day. I dont mind paying $29...I was just bummed it couldnt take a foot and a half drop from a coffee table on to a soft wood floor:confused:

Do I just go down to the store or should I make an appointment?

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago
You will have to make an appointment. and I'm sure you'll have to pay the $29 since Apple doesn't replace physical damage for free.

kvizzel

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2011
I am not gonna void the warranty of a 3 weeks old phone by messing with it lol

can't really void your warranty. it's as simple as 2 screws and pushing it down.

but yeah just be honest, most the times they will offer it for free.

fullojellybeans

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
can't really void your warranty. it's as simple as 2 screws and pushing it down.

but yeah just be honest, most the times they will offer it for free.

No more free my 4S cracked and I had to pay $199 for a replacement since I skipped AppleCare+

Guess they're really going hard on the fact that they didn't break the product which I agree with.

Phillyphil0302

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
NYC
No more free my 4S cracked and I had to pay $199 for a replacement since I skipped AppleCare+

Guess they're really going hard on the fact that they didn't break the product which I agree with.

Did you crack the front glass or the back glass? No way I'm paying 199 to replace the back glass:mad:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, its under warranty...4S bought on launch day. I dont mind paying $29...I was just bummed it couldnt take a foot and a half drop from a coffee table on to a soft wood floor:confused:

Do I just go down to the store or should I make an appointment?

Falls can be hard to predict. On my 2nd day, I had my 4s on my breakfast bar charging up, when it slipped off after a vibrating alert. Fortunately, it landed the "right" way so it didn't do any damage to the glass.

Apple products are known for industrial design, but unfortunately they can be delicate. Anyway, I did go with the AppleCare+ protection since it seems like they won't be waiving charges for accidental damage anymore, like they sometimes did in the past.

jekyoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Chicago

With AppleCare+, you would have just saved $50. $100 for AppleCare and then an additional $50 for damages such as a cracked front screen or water damage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.