Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 16, 2012, 02:32 PM   #1
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Anyone got Fusion to run?

Since this is a developer preview I expect things to not work and thats fine. But - just wondering if anyone has successfully run Fusion? Tried 4.1 and 4.1.1 and both refuse to run so far.
monkeybagel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:29 PM   #2
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

You can bypass the application block by launching Fusion from the terminal using the open command, but as figured it is blocked for a reason. I was hoping for partial functionality, but instead got a kernel panic!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 04:50 PM   #3
mikefla
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
Since this is a developer preview I expect things to not work and thats fine. But - just wondering if anyone has successfully run Fusion? Tried 4.1 and 4.1.1 and both refuse to run so far.
I'm in the process of installing. I was going to create a new VM, install Lion and then from Lion do the upgrade to Mountain. Does this not work? I have Fusion 4.1.0 Never installed the killer update.

-Mike
mikefla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2012, 05:05 PM   #4
monkeybagel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefla View Post
I'm in the process of installing. I was going to create a new VM, install Lion and then from Lion do the upgrade to Mountain. Does this not work? I have Fusion 4.1.0 Never installed the killer update.

-Mike
I have not tried installing it in a VM, but from what I read it kernel panics in a VM too. I just know Fusion will not run on ML. I also avoided 4.1.1 until today, but it will not run either.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 06:17 PM   #5
cis4life
macrumors regular

MikeFla:
Keep us posted if you were able to get it running by installing it onto a vm of Lion.

I'm in the same position, on how to best install ML and keep my install of Lion intact.

Thanks,
cis4life is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2012, 02:35 PM   #6
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybagel View Post
You can bypass the application block by launching Fusion from the terminal using the open command, but as figured it is blocked for a reason. I was hoping for partial functionality, but instead got a kernel panic!
How exactly are you able to start Fusion, I get the following error when trying to start it up from the terminal under ML
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10664
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:02 AM   #7
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
How exactly are you able to start Fusion, I get the following error when trying to start it up from the terminal under ML
LSOpenURLsWithRole() failed with error -10664
Maflynn. See if this helps, and report back if you would. I too cannot use it without fusion as I run windows all day for work. http://www.robservatory.com/?p=809
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:14 AM   #8
maflynn

Thanks, but that looks like its an issue using Mountain Lion inside vmware and specific to the vmwre tools, not running vmware fusion from ML
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:18 AM   #9
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Thanks, but that looks like its an issue using Mountain Lion inside vmware and specific to the vmwre tools, not running vmware fusion from ML
Oh you are correct, my bad sorry about that.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 08:44 AM   #10
maflynn

No problem, I've been searching the net for a solution but I think we'll have to wait for VMware to release an updated build and to be honest given that 10.8 is only a Developer Preview I'm really not confident that we'll see one anytime soon.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:53 AM   #11
tigres
macrumors 68040

Quote:
No problem, I've been searching the net for a solution but I think we'll have to wait for VMware to release an updated build and to be honest given that 10.8 is only a Developer Preview I'm really not confident that we'll see one anytime soon.
If my recollection is correct 4 was not released until well after lion was released. They seem to be a little behind in supporting the final OS, and never really comment on status of future releases.

Fwiw. I am on SL, so I was going to give it a run to test the networking environment, but i won't go through the hassle now knowing fusion won't run on it. Btw, I wonder why it won't run- seems like ML is kind of a service pack of sorts with added assets.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 10:56 AM   #12
maflynn

They sometimes release builds to fix these types of issues. So far their forums have not provided any of that information.
Old Feb 20, 2012, 07:48 AM   #13
maflynn

Looks like someone got this working here - the poster reports that if you boot into 32bit mode it works http://communities.vmware.com/thread...t=17&tstart=17
Old Feb 20, 2012, 02:29 PM   #14
87racer
macrumors member

Quote:
Looks like someone got this working here - the poster reports that if you boot into 32bit mode it works http://communities.vmware.com/thread...t=17&tstart=17
Yep. I posted it in the VMWare forums as maflynn posted and I also have it available here.
87racer is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion