Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Yeah... we're the same age. He makes me feel incredibly poor. :p

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
As much as I don't really like Facebook I can confidently say that Zuckerberg has contributed a lot more to the world than Ballmer.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
As much as I don't really like Facebook I can confidently say that Zuckerberg has contributed a lot more to the world than Ballmer.

Well Ballmer was never a software engineer or UX designer, that's not surprising. Honestly I don't know why or how Ballmer got into position to be CEO. He failed miserably as director of Windows group in the 1980s to deliver a working version. Bill Gates is known as intensely loyal to his Harvard buddies.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No offense but who cares. His level of wealth impacts me in no way and while I applaud both individuals in reaching the pinnacle in their respective industries but does it really matter if one is richer then the other?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
No offense but who cares. His level of wealth impacts me in no way and while I applaud both individuals in reaching the pinnacle in their respective industries but does it really matter if one is richer then the other?

This. No doubt Facebook will eventually become the next MySpace as something else rolls into fashion. We may be a few years away from it, but I'm certain that Zuckerberg's wealth will be due to a fashion craze, not because he sells useful software.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Ok, but Zuckerberg deserves to be richer than Ballmer. I don't care if he "only" made a social network.

And I doubt FaceBook is going anywhere. It'll be around for awhile. It's too interwoven into society now to fade so easily. This is NOT MySpace. This is NOT Friendster. This is global. Truly global. I had friends on all sorts of different social networks before, but now every one of them are on FaceBook. Even if it becomes unpopular in some countries, it's not going to simply disappear from the consciousness of the people in all of them. I'm unlikely to stop using it, as long as my friends are still on it.

If Google+ didn't make a dent despite being quite good, FaceBook seems very safe for 5-10 years.

Tinyluph

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
People that think Facebook is a myspace trend amuse me.

I would bet a hefty sum of money that 10 years from now Facebook will be just as popular as it is today, if not much more so.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
People that think Facebook is a myspace trend amuse me.

I would bet a hefty sum of money that 10 years from now Facebook will be just as popular as it is today, if not much more so.

I hardly use my FB account, I don't get the big deal about it. Twitter is more useful to me.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Ok, but Zuckerberg deserves to be richer than Ballmer. I don't care if he "only" made a social network.

And I doubt FaceBook is going anywhere. It'll be around for awhile. It's too interwoven into society now to fade so easily. This is NOT MySpace. This is NOT Friendster. This is global. Truly global. I had friends on all sorts of different social networks before, but now every one of them are on FaceBook. Even if it becomes unpopular in some countries, it's not going to simply disappear from the consciousness of the people in all of them. I'm unlikely to stop using it, as long as my friends are still on it.

If Google+ didn't make a dent despite being quite good, FaceBook seems very safe for 5-10 years.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1361855/

Facebook valued at 95B? give me a break. Facebook isn't Google, just like all the other social media stocks (except LinkedIn because of it's niche corporate independence), I think we'll see Facebook decline, I give Facebook sometime between 3 to 5 years. Facebook cannot sustain enough growth to certify this valuation.

Facebook's users might continue to grow, but since they are not customers, it won't matter to Facebook. The company's actual customers are advertisers, and some are not seeing enough of an ROI, and more and more are jumping ship. Let's not get started with the privacy issues..

Last edited:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1361855/

Facebook valued at 95B? give me a break. Facebook isn't Google, just like all the other social media stocks (except LinkedIn because of it's niche corporate independence), I think we'll see Facebook decline, I give Facebook sometime between 3 to 5 years. Facebook cannot sustain enough growth to certify this valuation.

Facebook's users might continue to grow, but since they are not customers, it won't matter to Facebook. The company's actual customers are advertisers, and some are not seeing enough of an ROI, and more and more are jumping ship. Let's not get started with the privacy issues..

What is FB's revenue generation plan?

malman89

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Michigan
I think Zuckerberg will be wealthier than a large fraction of people in the entire world :p

Good point. Meant all but a fraction, but you get the idea.

To OP: FB can sit well enough on ad revenue at the very least since they dominate the internet. I also believe they get a cut of game micro-transactions. That suited Google for plenty until it grew to have other sources of revenue.

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
What is FB's revenue generation plan?

Advertisements, they're the main source of revenue. 12% of Facebook's revenue came from Zynga, and now that Zynga has their own website..that might be a potential issue as well.

Also, majority of the people are on mobile, and they don't have ads for Facebook mobile..yet. So that's another concern.

Another point, Facebook has over 900M registered users apparently (don't know if it's actually 900M individuals).. there's going to be a point where not that many people are going to be on Facebook to make any difference to advertisers if there isn't a justified ROI. Think about it.. how many people actually click on Facebook ads?

I have no doubt that Facebook will grow in user base, but at the end of the day, it's a company and revenue is what matters.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Advertisements, they're the main source of revenue. 12% of Facebook's revenue came from Zynga, and now that Zynga has their own website..that might be a potential issue as well.

Also, majority of the people are on mobile, and they don't have ads for Facebook mobile..yet. So that's another concern.

Another point, Facebook has over 900M registered users apparently (don't know if it's actually 900M individuals).. there's going to be a point where not that many people are going to be on Facebook to make any difference to advertisers if there isn't a justified ROI. Think about it.. how many people actually click on Facebook ads?

I have no doubt that Facebook will grow in user base, but at the end of the day, it's a company and revenue is what matters.

Zuck getting $90 billion cash for what?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I ran across this thread while looking for something else and found it interesting. This is exactly why it's not wise to make predictions about the future: it often doesn't turn out the way we expect. It's been 6 years and Facebook is currently valued at somewhat more than 95 billion. Over 500 billion, in fact. Could it decline in the future? Of course. Could it continue to grow? Yep. But what is true for today will certainly change over time, so predictions are a risky business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.