Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion

Old May 3, 2012, 10:43 PM   #1
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Zuckerberg will be richer then Ballmer

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...n-ballmer.html

All for a bloody social network. At least MSFT makes tons and tons of products that the entire world is productive with.
smoledman is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 10:45 PM   #2
\-V-/
macrumors 65816

Yeah... we're the same age. He makes me feel incredibly poor.
\-V-/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Tinyluph
macrumors regular

As much as I don't really like Facebook I can confidently say that Zuckerberg has contributed a lot more to the world than Ballmer.
Tinyluph is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyluph View Post
As much as I don't really like Facebook I can confidently say that Zuckerberg has contributed a lot more to the world than Ballmer.
Well Ballmer was never a software engineer or UX designer, that's not surprising. Honestly I don't know why or how Ballmer got into position to be CEO. He failed miserably as director of Windows group in the 1980s to deliver a working version. Bill Gates is known as intensely loyal to his Harvard buddies.
smoledman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 06:29 AM   #5
maflynn

No offense but who cares. His level of wealth impacts me in no way and while I applaud both individuals in reaching the pinnacle in their respective industries but does it really matter if one is richer then the other?
Old May 4, 2012, 07:00 AM   #6
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Send a message via Skype™ to roadbloc
Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
No offense but who cares. His level of wealth impacts me in no way and while I applaud both individuals in reaching the pinnacle in their respective industries but does it really matter if one is richer then the other?
This. No doubt Facebook will eventually become the next MySpace as something else rolls into fashion. We may be a few years away from it, but I'm certain that Zuckerberg's wealth will be due to a fashion craze, not because he sells useful software.
Old May 4, 2012, 07:21 AM   #7
Abstract
macrumors Penryn

Ok, but Zuckerberg deserves to be richer than Ballmer. I don't care if he "only" made a social network.

And I doubt FaceBook is going anywhere. It'll be around for awhile. It's too interwoven into society now to fade so easily. This is NOT MySpace. This is NOT Friendster. This is global. Truly global. I had friends on all sorts of different social networks before, but now every one of them are on FaceBook. Even if it becomes unpopular in some countries, it's not going to simply disappear from the consciousness of the people in all of them. I'm unlikely to stop using it, as long as my friends are still on it.

If Google+ didn't make a dent despite being quite good, FaceBook seems very safe for 5-10 years.
Old May 4, 2012, 08:07 PM   #8
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-0...n-ballmer.html

All for a bloody social network. At least MSFT makes tons and tons of products that the entire world is productive with.
Cool story, anti-Windows troll.

Zuckerberg will be wealthier than a tiny fraction of people in the entire world. Thanks for sharing.
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2012, 09:23 PM   #9
Tinyluph
macrumors regular

People that think Facebook is a myspace trend amuse me.

I would bet a hefty sum of money that 10 years from now Facebook will be just as popular as it is today, if not much more so.
Tinyluph is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 02:46 AM   #10
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinyluph View Post
People that think Facebook is a myspace trend amuse me.

I would bet a hefty sum of money that 10 years from now Facebook will be just as popular as it is today, if not much more so.
I hardly use my FB account, I don't get the big deal about it. Twitter is more useful to me.
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 04:50 PM   #11
sviato
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by malman89 View Post
Cool story, anti-Windows troll.

Zuckerberg will be wealthier than a tiny fraction of people in the entire world. Thanks for sharing.
I think Zuckerberg will be wealthier than a large fraction of people in the entire world
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 05:04 PM   #12
Reach9
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract View Post
Ok, but Zuckerberg deserves to be richer than Ballmer. I don't care if he "only" made a social network.

And I doubt FaceBook is going anywhere. It'll be around for awhile. It's too interwoven into society now to fade so easily. This is NOT MySpace. This is NOT Friendster. This is global. Truly global. I had friends on all sorts of different social networks before, but now every one of them are on FaceBook. Even if it becomes unpopular in some countries, it's not going to simply disappear from the consciousness of the people in all of them. I'm unlikely to stop using it, as long as my friends are still on it.

If Google+ didn't make a dent despite being quite good, FaceBook seems very safe for 5-10 years.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1361855

Facebook valued at 95B? give me a break. Facebook isn't Google, just like all the other social media stocks (except LinkedIn because of it's niche corporate independence), I think we'll see Facebook decline, I give Facebook sometime between 3 to 5 years. Facebook cannot sustain enough growth to certify this valuation.

Facebook's users might continue to grow, but since they are not customers, it won't matter to Facebook. The company's actual customers are advertisers, and some are not seeing enough of an ROI, and more and more are jumping ship. Let's not get started with the privacy issues..

Last edited by Reach9; May 5, 2012 at 05:13 PM.
Reach9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 07:54 PM   #13
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach9 View Post
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1361855

Facebook valued at 95B? give me a break. Facebook isn't Google, just like all the other social media stocks (except LinkedIn because of it's niche corporate independence), I think we'll see Facebook decline, I give Facebook sometime between 3 to 5 years. Facebook cannot sustain enough growth to certify this valuation.

Facebook's users might continue to grow, but since they are not customers, it won't matter to Facebook. The company's actual customers are advertisers, and some are not seeing enough of an ROI, and more and more are jumping ship. Let's not get started with the privacy issues..
What is FB's revenue generation plan?
smoledman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 08:39 PM   #14
malman89
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sviato View Post
I think Zuckerberg will be wealthier than a large fraction of people in the entire world
Good point. Meant all but a fraction, but you get the idea.

To OP: FB can sit well enough on ad revenue at the very least since they dominate the internet. I also believe they get a cut of game micro-transactions. That suited Google for plenty until it grew to have other sources of revenue.
malman89 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:24 PM   #15
Reach9
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoledman View Post
What is FB's revenue generation plan?
Advertisements, they're the main source of revenue. 12% of Facebook's revenue came from Zynga, and now that Zynga has their own website..that might be a potential issue as well.

Also, majority of the people are on mobile, and they don't have ads for Facebook mobile..yet. So that's another concern.

Another point, Facebook has over 900M registered users apparently (don't know if it's actually 900M individuals).. there's going to be a point where not that many people are going to be on Facebook to make any difference to advertisers if there isn't a justified ROI. Think about it.. how many people actually click on Facebook ads?

I have no doubt that Facebook will grow in user base, but at the end of the day, it's a company and revenue is what matters.
Reach9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2012, 09:46 PM   #16
smoledman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach9 View Post
Advertisements, they're the main source of revenue. 12% of Facebook's revenue came from Zynga, and now that Zynga has their own website..that might be a potential issue as well.

Also, majority of the people are on mobile, and they don't have ads for Facebook mobile..yet. So that's another concern.

Another point, Facebook has over 900M registered users apparently (don't know if it's actually 900M individuals).. there's going to be a point where not that many people are going to be on Facebook to make any difference to advertisers if there isn't a justified ROI. Think about it.. how many people actually click on Facebook ads?

I have no doubt that Facebook will grow in user base, but at the end of the day, it's a company and revenue is what matters.
Zuck getting $90 billion cash for what?
smoledman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion