Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
The past iterations should indicate that the 7th iPhone will be an iPhone 5S, the same design as the 5 but with a performance boost and better camera, right?

Well, something changed since the last iterations. The performance boost of the iPhone 5. Huge performance gains usually only happened every 2 generations, the S ones, while the design changes didn't usually bring considerable performance gains. Now I'm wondering if the fact that they didn't wait until the 5S to have a performance boost means we'll see a direct skip to an iPhone 6.

Recap of the past iPhone updates:

iPhone 3G:
New plastic design
3G data
GPS chip
No considerable performance gains

iPhone 3GS:
No considerable design change
Better performances (really appreciated)
Better camera with video capture
Compass

iPhone 4:
New glass sandwich design, world's thinnest
Retina display with 2x the PPI
Slightly better performances, not that noticeable
Gyroscope
Better camera

iPhone 4S:
Same design
Better performances (noticeable, but not as much as 3G vs 3GS in daily tasks)
Better camera
Siri

iPhone 5:
New 4" display with full rRGB coverage
New unibody aluminium two-tone design, world's thinnest, very light
LTE data
Much better performances (although the 4S was fast already so it doesn't matter that much)

See how the iPhone 5 broke the pattern in performance gains?

Now the question is: Isn't the iPhone 5 fast enough? Would an iPhone 5S really convince iPhone 5 owners to switch, or even new buyers to pick it over the cheaper iPhone 5?

It seems like improving performance has diminishing returns in day-to-day productivity and just pulling out a faster "S" phone doesn't cut it anymore like it did back in the 3G vs 3GS days. We already noticed that the 4 vs 4S performance gains weren't as big of a deal, but at least we had Siri. Now the 4S vs 5 performance gains don't seem to be appreciated all that much even though it's the biggest gain we ever had in CPU, GPU and RAM.

Would people be satisfied with a 5S? I don't think so, that's why we may see a direct jump to the iPhone 6. That may also be why Apple broke the pattern of big performance gains every two generation.

What do you think? Is an iPhone 5S or 6 next?

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
I still believe that this is the version that was supposed to come out last year, but was shelved for whatever reason. Perhaps it was the battery and LTE chip...someone can likely chime in on this.

At this point I think the law of diminishing returns is in play, but leave it to Apple to hold out NFC for the 5S to get people to upgrade.....and for the record, I'll upgrade like every other iteration since the original iPhone.

Buckeyestar

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2011
I'd say a 5S is next, but we can't be sure just yet. There have been 2 "S cycles" already, but two is not enough to establish a trend. Still, I think it's what we'll see.

InfinitiG

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
i thought that when the 4 came out, how can they make this thing faster.

but when apple releases iOS updates, they very gradually make it slower and slower, hence the newer faster iPhone updates

when I first got my iphone 4 there was no lag and it was very quick, slowly it became much slower and lots of lag

with that said, theres definitely gonna be a 5S

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
People also thought that the iPhone 4 was "good enough" and then came the 4S....Watch the same trend with 5.

I skip S upgrades usually, so I will get the iPhone 6 with an upgrade and a totally new design.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Of course there's going to be a 5S. The 4S adopters need something to upgrade to :p

Honestly, it'll probably just use a smaller process node for the SoC and LTE chips, making it a tad more battery efficient. Of course, it'll be slightly faster too. Not too sure what else they could do - slightly better camera, maybe NFC?

And boy do I hope iOS 7 changes its looks for once. I mean, sheesh!

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
I think a 5S could happen. 3GS was for speed, 4S was for Siri, 5S for security, implementing that fingerprint reader into the home button that Apple bought out ;) bump the camera up to 13MP with a better sensor, maybe a slight RAM upgrade, and some other tweaks and I'd get it.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
2 S cycles isn't enough to establish a trend.

There could be a redesign next year for all we know.

I for sure hope we get rid of anodized aluminum for liquid metal.

All Apple really needs to do is add a major feature like NFC and they'll be able to sell millions just like they did with the 4S with Siri as the major feature. Why should they put all their eggs in one basket if they're going to sell millions anyway?

----------

So what is it exactly that you doubt? That's what I said! :confused:

You said "Put me down for no 5S," indicating you don't think there will be a 5S. There will be a 5S next year but it'll retain the same design and have more features typical of a S type update.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
Original poster
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Honestly, it'll probably just use a smaller process node for the SoC and LTE chips, making it a tad more battery efficient. Of course, it'll be slightly faster too. Not too sure what else they could do - slightly better camera, maybe NFC?

Performance gain isn't the only aspect of a "S" type update. It can just be a new feature like NFC (much like Siri).

All Apple really needs to do is add a major feature like NFC and they'll be able to sell millions just like they did with the 4S with Siri as the major feature.

Anandtech says NFC with decent performance is technically impossible with the current design.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6196/preparing-for-the-iphone-next-rumors-analyzed/4

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Curious why there needs to be a new design at all. I think the iPhone 5 is one of the most perfect designs there can be for a phone. Little to no wasted space, ridiculously thin and light, etc.

I don't agree with little to no wasted space. Yes, it's as good as they can do now, but they'll need to minimize the wasted space especially above the screen once smaller components become available (when they redesign it for the iPhone 6 in two years).

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
that's why we may see a direct jump to the iPhone 6. That may also be why Apple broke the pattern of big performance gains every two generation.

What do you think? Is an iPhone 5S or 6 next?

I know that anything is possible. I am really hoping next year Apple will do break the pattern and introduce iP6. It may not happen, but as mentioned, anything is possible with Apple.

RocketMan76

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Berkeley, CA
I don't agree with little to no wasted space. Yes, it's as good as they can do now, but they'll need to minimize the wasted space especially above the screen once smaller components become available (when they redesign it for the iPhone 6 in two years).

How much tighter can they possibly pack these components into this case?

I still think this is the perfect for factor however. Internals aside. I've used a Galaxy SIII, a Nexus, and played around with a few other phones for days at a time. There really is nothing that works this well as an efficient form factor as far as I'm concerned.

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You're one of those people who thought we'd get a redesigned iphone last year, didn't you? :rolleyes:
It's hard to believe that apple would waste a design. I like the S versions; they tend to be more refined and usually get the kinks of the design out. I personally hope they release a 5S next year.
2 S cycles isn't enough to establish a trend.

There could be a redesign next year for all we know.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
You're one of those people who thought we'd get a redesigned iphone last year, didn't you? :rolleyes:
It's hard to believe that apple would waste a design. I like the S versions; they tend to be more refined and usually get the kinks of the design out. I personally hope they release a 5S next year.

:rolleyes:

No.

In fact, I was telling people that it will be 4S. Everyone was expecting the tapered 5.

Please, after the first gen of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch there was a redesign. They could easily do the same next year which is why I say the 2 S cycles isn't enough to establish a cycle yet

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.