Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
I dont see Apple doing NFC until it takes off big. Passbook is a perfect example. Barcode scanners are everywhere, NFC not so much.

Had it on my Nexus, cool but all the stores don't have it yet.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Please, after the first gen of iPhone, iPad and iPod touch there was a redesign. They could easily do the same next year which is why I say the 2 S cycles isn't enough to establish a cycle yet

And of course next year when we've had 3 S cycles, you'll say 3 cycles isn't enough to establish a cycle yet because they could easily do a redesign after one year just like the original iPhone --> 3G

Please, Apple has learned they can sell millions of iPhones with very little changed just by adding a major feature like Siri.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
I agree it will not be the typical S revision.

There is so much performance overhead now, much more than ever before, that it hardly seems needed. I expect an incremental performance enhancement at most.

I will not make any predictions about what the rest of the phone will look like.

TM WAZZA

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2010
Hamilton, New Zealand
And of course next year when we've had 3 S cycles, you'll say 3 cycles isn't enough to establish a cycle yet because they could easily do a redesign after one year just like the original iPhone --> 3G

Please, Apple has learned they can sell millions of iPhones with very little changed just by adding a major feature like Siri.

No.

Next year if Apple unveils a 5S then that is definitely the trend. :rolleyes:

Apple didn't just learn that with the 4S. They've been doing it forever. People will buy Apple products like sheeps because it's Apple.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
There was an unprecedented, albeit slight, dip in iPhone sales just prior to the announcement of the 5, indicating a lot of people were holding out for a redesign. This was immediately followed by a record breaking launch (which the analysts still managed to paint as a disappointment in terms of units sold).

It stands to reason that the longer Apple continues to play the S release game, the bigger those sales dips will get prior to a bi-annual redesigned release. This may have Apple rethinking a 2 year cycle.

OTOH, if they move to an annual redesign to appease the demand, quality and innovation will likely suffer. This is probably why the redesign is bi-annual.

And don't forget, the stock holders love S phones. By the time the S version rolls around, the manufacturing process has the kinks worked out. The tooling is done. The supply chains are in place. All Apple has to do is keep the conveyor belt oiled. This all means lower costs and higher profit margins on an S release.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Since they didn't call it the iPhone 6 and get it to line up with what generation it actually is I'm pretty sure that they will keep with the S upgrades, that and it saves them money since they only have to pay for the development of a new design and retooling the factories to produce that new design every other year with the S upgrades.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
Because of the enlarged screen size this time around, iphone 5 was the biggie change that gave it the #5.

Next year Apple will probably up the camera spec a tad, SIRI up a tad, iOS 6.2 perhaps, and up the processor speed up a tad as well, not to mention improvements to mapping.

NFC...No. Too early for that in my opinion. This translates to a 5S, not a #6.

For a number 6, it will have to be something that is truly different in my opinion. Perhaps a different longer lasting battery, fingerprint scanner, NFC, better Home button, two speakers instead on one. :D ;)

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I'm skipping the iPhone 5 as I also believe this was supposed to come out last year as the complete 4s model.

This update is still behind. With the 5s or 6 I wouldn't doubt that we will get a bigger display then the 4 inch. Still too small for my liking.

Btw, I'm still using my 2 year 4 month old iPhone 4. I need an upgrade badly but I am skipping the 5. Not impressive enough for me to payout on another two year contract.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
and for the record, I'll upgrade like every other iteration since the original iPhone.

Or, to translate "I'll buy whatever rubbish Apple shove onto the market whether it's right for me or not".

It's all the millions of blind consumers like yourself that'll ultimately cause Apple's decline.

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think they'll be getting rid of this design after only one year.

Then again, I'm just a lowly peon in Apple's world. What would I know?

I think the screen size reached it's sweet spot because of one hand operation. However the design could change with the 6.

PedroDias

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
Increased battery life and ios7 with modified multi-tasking that are going to make you upgrade to the 5S.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I'm pretty sure it'll happen. They can add NFC, put on it the A6X which I'm sure is already in production or ready to go to, better battery life maybe... There's always something to add to it!

iPhone 4S:
Same design
Better performances (noticeable, but not as much as 3G vs 3GS in daily tasks)
Better camera
Siri

Also antennagate correction. ;)

wingsabr

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2008
Or, to translate "I'll buy whatever rubbish Apple shove onto the market whether it's right for me or not".

It's all the millions of blind consumers like yourself that'll ultimately cause Apple's decline.

To translate, I've rather enjoyed each iteration and haven't had the issues that others have....or it's just right for me, whichever you prefer ;)

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
They have a year to do a few things still.

Make it faster, better battery life, better rear facing camera and perhaps a new feature exclusive to only the 5S like Siri was on the 4S. Whatever it takes to get 4S users to upgrade in a year. Typically, the S model is usually just a well polished version of the original version every year.

slayerz96

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2012
Singapore
I believe that a 5S will come, but Apple is already starting to break the cycles. It's quite obvious in the chips. A lot expected the A6 to appear on the iPad, but instead it got the A5X and the A6 was for the iPhone 5.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal
The 5S will likely have some form of NFC and maybe some other minor enhancements. But those whose upgrade cycle in with each "S", it will give them impetus to upgrade.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple did not spend this much time on a new design to only use it for 1 year. There will absolutely be a 5S with some performance/camera improvements as well as NFC. The 6 will bring a new design, but that is 2 years down the road.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
5S will launch next year which will include support for all 4G bands, camera upgrade to 12mp and err, that's about it. To be honest, from a hardware perspective it's almost perfect.

What we need to see is a complete overhaul with iOS. iOS 7 needs to do everything better than Android & WP 8.

Vetvito

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2012
After using all OSs I can honestly say iOS 5.1.1 jail broken is the best I have ever used. Especially with all the tweaks.

There will be no 5S, it will simply be The New iPhone. Apple switches it up every time you think you have them figured out.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
After using all OSs I can honestly say iOS 5.1.1 jail broken is the best I have ever used. Especially with all the tweaks.

There will be no 5S, it will simply be The New iPhone. Apple switches it up every time you think you have them figured out.

I don't think so. Many people thought that this time around, but with so many phones still in circulation and the same form factor they will probably keep the "S". It would really confuse the general population...."The new iphone" (7th generation)...wait what?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.