Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...People will buy Apple products like sheeps because it's Apple.

While some do, most will buy the next one because they liked or loved their previous iPhone.

Since the 4S can be sold for more than what the 5 costs, and you can turn a profit when you upgrade, why wouldn't you get the fresher version of something you enjoy using.

solo118

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2011
It may be a bad analogy, but I look at Ferraris, Lambos etc and say how the hell can it get any faster or lighter. Yet every refresh has a faster,improved model.

There are always improvements as technology moves on, so there will be a way to improve the iphone 5 even if the next release is a year away.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
It may be a bad analogy, but I look at Ferraris, Lambos etc and say how the hell can it get any faster or lighter. Yet every refresh has a faster,improved model.

There are always improvements as technology moves on, so there will be a way to improve the iphone 5 even if the next release is a year away.

that's a pretty good analogy actually

KittiFatale

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Helsinki, Finland
If they release a 5S, it would make Apple look very predictable. It will pretty much establish a pattern and more people will hold out from buying the iPhone 6 in favor of waiting for iPhone 6S.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
iPhone 5S

NFC
Fingerprint scanner
Apple A7
32 and 64 GB
10 mpx camera
ac band WiFi

Should be enough to justify the move to the 'S', along with some software features too.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
You don't realize that you actually pay for it through your monthly cost?

Kthxbye

Really??? The phone isn't magically subsidized???

1. My monthly cost is not reduced if I don't get a subsidized phone.
2. I can sell a 4S for what it costs to upgrade to the 5.
3. I'm not planning on jumping carriers and I would have a contract regardless.

There is no downside to upgrading to the next gen.

Last edited:

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
And of course next year when we've had 3 S cycles, you'll say 3 cycles isn't enough to establish a cycle yet because they could easily do a redesign after one year just like the original iPhone --> 3G

Please, Apple has learned they can sell millions of iPhones with very little changed just by adding a major feature like Siri.

Actually the 4S was what the 4 should've been (hindsight is 20/20, of course) - dual core CPU, much better graphics, redesigned antennas, much upgraded camera, (a small point but...available in white at launch!), and full iCloud support in iOS 5.

Talking about trend, who thought that Apple would significantly upgrade the internals also when there's an external redesign this year with the iPhone 5? So it's not always predictable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.