Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
http://www.neowin.net/news/microsofts-times-square-store-opens-draws-massive-crowds

pthur.png

dbassmsstore.png

A6Fp2ebCIAIM5CQ_medium.jpg

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm glad Microsoft have upped their game a little. The surface looks a great tablet and I certainly wish them all the best with it and Windows 8. One day I'll get a decent job so I can afford all of these great gadgets.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Time will tell if the surface is the real deal - I'm not interested in the RT version, but the atom based is tempting except that it will be priced out of my reach. Heck even the RT surface is more $$ then I want to spend on it.

Looks like with the initial energy and excitement MS does have a winner on their hands. I wonder if this will translate into a phone as well. I think MS is taking a page out of Google's handbook and producing a product to jump start the market/design for their platform.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
After I found out last night that the Surface has no cellular in it as an option and coupled with the pricing deals they came with, I am unsure on how well it's going to sell in comparison to the iPad and Galaxy Nexus 7. But I hope if doesn't totally flop for MS, they need something to give them a marketing boost.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I'm definitely interested in the Surface but it's going to be the Pro model. I'm also looking forward to using Windows 8 but it's going to be on a Tablet. The XBOX 360 dashboard update looks nice and less cluttered to the previous update.

Faux Carnival

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
As a first generation device, it is a great piece of hardware. The main problems are software-related and need time to resolve.

beyondthepale35

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2012
Was at the MS store in Orlando today, was a pretty healthy line of people waiting on surfaces, I was surprised. Got to play around with it a little in store and the touch cover is surprisingly responsive, it felt so weird as i was typing but i wasnt screwing up at all. Definitely right about taking a few days to get used to. As for the device itself, I happened to be with my mother and even she had nice things to say about it and shes about as tech illiterate as they come haha. With time I can definitely see it becoming a winner, but yes, the app situation definitely is holding it back for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.