Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:03 AM   #1
AppleAlfred
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
iPhone 5 Back Camera Can't Focus

Hi Guys,

So, I just received an iPhone 5 and it appears to have an issue with the back camera. I focuses if you hold it less than a foot away from an object, but any farther and it just can't focus.

It basically just appears blurry, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to fix it. The front facing camera works fine. Also, if you shake the phone I think something rattles ever so slightly in the general area of the camera. Is it possible that it is just defective? And if so is Apple likely to just replace it? Finally, if Apple does offer to replace it would I be stuck waiting forever for a new one since orders are pretty backed up?

Thanks in Advance!

Alfred
__________________
MacBook Air (Mid 2012) - 1.8/8/128
iPad w/ Retina (3rd Gen) - Black 16
Galaxy S IV - Black Mist 16
Apple TV, 3rd Gen

Last edited by AppleAlfred; Nov 23, 2012 at 09:40 AM.
AppleAlfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:05 AM   #2
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleAlfred View Post
Hi Guys,

So, I just received an iPhone 5 and it appears to have an issue with the back camera. I focuses if you hold it less than a foot away from an object, but any farther and it just can't focus.

It basically just appears blurry, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to fix it. The front facing camera works fine. Also, if you shake the phone I think something rattles ever so slightly in the general area of the camera. Is it possible that it is just defective? And if so is Apple likely to just replace it? Finally, if Apple does offer to replace it would I be stuck waiting forever for a new one since orders are pretty backed up?

Thanks in Advance!

Alfred
You got one with a macro lens built in

In all seriousness, take it in. They'll kiss your ass then replace it.
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:06 AM   #3
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: MN, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleAlfred View Post
Hi Guys,

So, I just received an iPhone 5 and it appears to have an issue with the back camera. I focuses if you hold it less than a foot away from an object, but any farther and it just can't focus.

It basically just appears blurry, and there doesn't seem to be anything I can do to fix it. The front facing camera works fine. Also, if you shake the phone I think something rattles ever so slightly in the general area of the camera. Is it possible that it is just defective? And if so is Apple likely to just replace it? Finally, if Apple does offer to replace it would I be stuck waiting forever for a new one since orders are pretty backed up?

Thanks in Advance!

Alfred


They will give you a refurbished model my friend. My previous iPhone had the same issue (in addition to piss poor battery stats).
__________________
Ordered: T-Mobile iPhone 6 Plus Gold 128GB
Date: 11/14/2014 @ 4PM
Shipped on: 11/17/2014
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:21 AM   #4
AppleAlfred
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Alright, thanks a lot for the reassurance guys! I was so pissed when it started happening but I just called apple and they reassured me they would replace it

On a side note, can we all agree apple has BY FAR the best customer service, like that alone is worth any alleged price premiums!
AppleAlfred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:40 AM   #5
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleAlfred View Post
Alright, thanks a lot for the reassurance guys! I was so pissed when it started happening but I just called apple and they reassured me they would replace it

On a side note, can we all agree apple has BY FAR the best customer service, like that alone is worth any alleged price premiums!
Yep! Hahahaha. I asked for a box on Thursday at 18 and it got here Friday at 13.
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Realistiic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
I dropped my iPhone 5 outside onto the hard pavement. I made an appointment and they swapped mine for a refurb, they didn't even ask any questions. Brill!
Realistiic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:21 AM   #7
singhbal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
iPhone 5 camera wont focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
You got one with a macro lens built in

In all seriousness, take it in. They'll kiss your ass then replace it.
I'm having the same problem as that guy, except my iPhone 5 camera wont focus at all. I'm also hearing something rattling in the same area of the camera. i have had this iPhone for about one month, never dropped it, or slammed it against something. i tried cleaning the back camera, trying different distances focusing, tapping the screen, reseting the iphone settings and still nothing works. help!
singhbal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 04:52 AM   #8
Newtons Apple
macrumors 68030
 
Newtons Apple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
But the thread is near two years old.
Newtons Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 10:12 AM   #9
kurtisjohnson
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtons Apple View Post
But the thread is near two years old.
Ok... People on forums get mad when someone starts a new thread about things that have already been asked, then this guy does what everybody says you "should" do and searches and finds someone who had the same issue and brings back up an old thread and you get mad about that... WTF.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhbal View Post
I'm having the same problem as that guy, except my iPhone 5 camera wont focus at all. I'm also hearing something rattling in the same area of the camera. i have had this iPhone for about one month, never dropped it, or slammed it against something. i tried cleaning the back camera, trying different distances focusing, tapping the screen, reseting the iphone settings and still nothing works. help!
Best bet would be to call apple and see about a replacement camera or replacement device. My camera on my iphone 5 acted up once too but it eventually went back to working. Then Apple had the recall on the lock button so I sent my phone off to them to have it fixed and when I got it back not only did they fix the lock button but also replaced my battery and the camera (this is what the parts sheet they sent back with it said anyway), so if your lock button is failing maybe you could try sending it back and maybe they will do the same for you!
kurtisjohnson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 02:37 PM   #10
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by singhbal View Post
I'm having the same problem as that guy, except my iPhone 5 camera wont focus at all. I'm also hearing something rattling in the same area of the camera. i have had this iPhone for about one month, never dropped it, or slammed it against something. i tried cleaning the back camera, trying different distances focusing, tapping the screen, reseting the iphone settings and still nothing works. help!
If you're under warranty, take it in.
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2014, 03:20 PM   #11
maflynn
Moderator
 
maflynn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Boston
[MOD NOTE]
Stop with the bickering.
__________________
~Mike Flynn
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPhone 5 rear camera doesn't focus jonawand iPhone 7 Apr 4, 2014 03:06 AM
Iphone 4S Camera Out Of Focus jakeox iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 1 Sep 26, 2013 05:25 PM
iPhone 5 Camera focus seems to be slowing down aliensporebomb iPhone 2 Jun 21, 2013 05:53 PM
Focus w camera to take video on Iphone 5 bsbfan iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 0 Feb 28, 2013 08:44 PM
Iphone 5 Auto Focus Camera Noise HaxorRob iPhone 1 Oct 27, 2012 06:27 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC