Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:49 AM   #1
george-brooks
macrumors 6502a
 
george-brooks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Broken Lightning Cables

I was at the 5th Avenue Apple Store today getting a new iPad for my mom and while looking at some iPad minis, the salesman looked through countless dead floor models to find me a working one. He said they have been having numerous problems with lightning cables breaking as a result of customers aggressively using them, therefore causing the floor models to not charge and their batteries to drain. I haven't had any problems with my lightning cable so far, but I am concerned that the smaller size makes them less robust. Has anyone had problems yet?
__________________
Mac Pro 6,1: 6 Core 3.5 GHz|32GB|D700|1TB
MacBook Pro 8,2: 2.5 GHz i7|16GB|750GB+240GB SSD
iPhone 5s, iPad 4, iPad Mini Retina, 12" Powerbook G4
george-brooks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
There is only 3 stores in my town out of 10-15 that has working iPhones to try.
Nevzorus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:11 AM   #3
macingman
macrumors 68020
 
macingman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
I think the problems are only due to so many people plugging the phones in and out constantly which is very different to normal use.
macingman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
Jordan921
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bay Area
Most people are pretty rough with the display models so while trying to charge them again they probably put to much force on the cables.
Jordan921 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:23 AM   #5
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
It may be more about Apple's silly lack of cable restraints than the connector. Apple's cables are always less robust than they should be. People pull cables out by holding the middle of the cable, not good with Apple's.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:37 AM   #6
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAT View Post
People pull cables out by holding the middle of the cable, not good with Apple's.
Not good with any make of cable!
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:15 PM   #7
Kashsystems
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
The closet Apple store I live in usually has a few hundred people inside whether I walk by or visit. I do think most cables are designed for the 1000s of bacteria filled hands tugging and pulling at everything at a constant basis.

It is why my germ-phobic self has hand sanitizer on ready after I am done with a walk through in the store. To be the worst is when you can clearly see the iPad covered in greasy food like fat substances all over their screens.

I bet the cables just melt quickly from all that grossness.
Kashsystems is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 12:18 PM   #8
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5
 
ucfgrad93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
I think the problems are only due to so many people plugging the phones in and out constantly which is very different to normal use.
Agreed. Display models usually aren't treated very well by customers.
ucfgrad93 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:10 PM   #9
zhenya
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
This doesn't surprise me as the first time I handled a lighting cable I could see that it was going to clearly be less durable than the old style. It sticks out way too far for how secure a fit it is.

What hasn't been mentioned here so far is that the 30 pin cables lasted extremely well in stores. I was always impressed that the iOS devices had held up, because they get way more use than devices with USB, but the USB tablets are always dead from damaged connectors.

Maybe Apple will update the lighting connector in the future with MagSafe like I was hoping for from the beginning.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
This is one reason I got AppleCare+ on my iPhone. If my lightning cable or headphones break then I get free replacements for 2 years
Prime85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:35 PM   #11
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Unless you make a habit of yanking the iPhone towards you hard, stretching against the full length of cable and forcing a 90 degree bend on the connector., I doubt you're going to have problems.

My iPhone 5 and lightning cable are both just fine, and I've had mine since just after launch day.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:46 PM   #12
zhenya
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
Unless you make a habit of yanking the iPhone towards you hard, stretching against the full length of cable and forcing a 90 degree bend on the connector., I doubt you're going to have problems.

My iPhone 5 and lightning cable are both just fine, and I've had mine since just after launch day.
You can say that, but the reality is that devices like these get plugged in thousands of times in their lives, tripped over, sat on, tugged on by kids, a millions things that you can never imagine. While I personally am not hard on such connectors in general, I know that many people are and that accidents happen. Apple has always excelled at making robust and durable ones. It's not clear that remains with this new connector.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 01:56 PM   #13
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
You can say that, but the reality is that devices like these get plugged in thousands of times in their lives, tripped over, sat on, tugged on by kids, a millions things that you can never imagine.
I still don't think that the displays in the Apple Store represent common household usage, even rough usage. If you look at how the connectors are configured in Apple Stores, there's a very tight bend that is imparted on the cable, causing constraint strain. I've seen a few old dock connector cables get split on displays, too, so I'm not so sure that amount of abuse is only going to wreck a lightning cable.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:00 PM   #14
zhenya
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
I still don't think that the displays in the Apple Store represent common household usage, even rough usage. If you look at how the connectors are configured in Apple Stores, there's a very tight bend that is imparted on the cable, causing constraint strain. I've seen a few old dock connector cables get split on displays, too, so I'm not so sure that amount of abuse is only going to wreck a lightning cable.
Of course it's not a common use case, that's the amazing thing about the old connector, that it held up amazingly well even in the stores. If something broke, it was usually the cable (which often continued to work even if the plastic split). I'm not convinced the new one won't sometimes do internal damage to the devices.
zhenya is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 02:24 PM   #15
LaynieGorilla
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: PA
I just got my replaced for free on Black Friday.. It had a short. I thought that was quick for two months..my 4 had the wires exposed after awhile and lasted for about a year
LaynieGorilla is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:46 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
I can only imagine the mileage and abuse those floor models and wires take every single day with thousands of customers plugging them in and out.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 04:09 PM   #17
Mr_Brightside_@
macrumors 65816
 
Mr_Brightside_@'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: below Ash Tree Lane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I can only imagine the mileage and abuse those floor models and wires take every single day with thousands of customers plugging them in and out.
I was having issues with mine that came with my phone. I charge it on my bedside table and whenever I unplugged it it would fall to the floor. Last week the cable stopped charging my phone, and plugging it into my computer (cable only, no phone attached) prompted a message saying the USB device was drawing too much power. Very strange. I've an extra cable that I've been using, but I'll test the flaky cable further and see about a G bar apt.
__________________
All over the ship, dancing through the wreckage of the Pfhor computer core, DURANDAL WAS LAUGHING
Here is the toil of that house, and the inextricable wandering
Mr_Brightside_@ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:06 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Brightside_@ View Post
I was having issues with mine that came with my phone. I charge it on my bedside table and whenever I unplugged it it would fall to the floor. Last week the cable stopped charging my phone, and plugging it into my computer (cable only, no phone attached) prompted a message saying the USB device was drawing too much power. Very strange. I've an extra cable that I've been using, but I'll test the flaky cable further and see about a G bar apt.
Same thing with mine.
It always falls on he floor when I unplug my phone
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:08 PM   #19
CaCohen0509
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
i was at the freehold raceway mall apple store and i saw at least a dozen snapped lightning connectors with iPads and iPods lying down on the tables. People are monsters
__________________
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6GHz/16GBRam/512SSD
iPhone 5S, 32GB
CaCohen0509 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:27 PM   #20
Floydpink
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Orlando Florida
I just replaced my lightning cable and I'm gentle with my stuff.
Mine was apparently a short and I was not the only one they had seen at the Genius Bar that day with the same problem.

Other than that, no problems.
Floydpink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:41 PM   #21
Cubeeless
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
This is one reason I got AppleCare+ on my iPhone. If my lightning cable or headphones break then I get free replacements for 2 years
I didn't know, that AppleCare+ is good for that.
Cubeeless is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:33 AM   #22
AFDoc
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Colorado Springs USA for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
There is only 3 stores in my town out of 10-15 that has working iPhones to try.
What town do you live in that has 10-15 apple stores? I live in a major area of Colorado and we have 4 in the area within a 30 minute or so drive from one another.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:45 AM   #23
Nevzorus
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
What town do you live in that has 10-15 apple stores? I live in a major area of Colorado and we have 4 in the area within a 30 minute or so drive from one another.
I mean normal stores
__________________
MacBook Air 2013 13'
White iPad 3rd GEN 16GB
Black iPhone 4 16GB
Nevzorus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:22 AM   #24
Tzuten
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I hope my lightning connector holds up better than the 30 pin connectors. The outer rubber coating on each is torn and frayed. I'm not rough with them at all. The only one that has held up is the griffn cable.

My MBA MagSafe adapter seems to be on the path too. Time to break out the ghetto fix with electrical tape.
Tzuten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 10:04 AM   #25
JAT
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Mpls, MN
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
Not good with any make of cable!
Absolutely. However, many are constructed much better and can handle it. Some have realized that people do this even though they shouldn't.
__________________
-- Spiky
JAT is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Accessories

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: Anyone try these Lightning Cables? pat park iPad Accessories 2 Jan 29, 2013 12:30 PM
Lightning cables nelly22 Mac Peripherals 0 Nov 29, 2012 11:54 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:44 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC