Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 5, 2012, 07:50 PM   #1
jetlitheone
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Lets all stop whining here...

Look. The iphone 5 is good. It has problems such as wifi and such but still an amazing innovative product. The specs aren't crazy but the performance is amazing, it's not quad core and such but it's simple and sleek. And with a jailbreak it'll be loads of fun to customize it and such. Also the 5s is a flop IMO. It'll be released in September I think.
jetlitheone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:03 PM   #2
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
How is it in any way innovative?
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Nugget of Power (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1500/3505MHz)
w00t951 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:05 PM   #3
smellysox8
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
How is it in any way innovative?
Because Apple said so in their ads.
smellysox8 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
I guess the point is, at the end of the day, it's a remarkable phone, but there're also other relatively good phones for Android and Windows Phone 8 as well.
Beeplance is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:08 PM   #5
ixodes
macrumors 601
 
ixodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Pacific Coast, USA
Yes it is a good phone.

Too bad it's not the outstanding phone Apple's capable of building. Oh well there's always 2014.

By the looks of early leaks, the 2013 model remains crippled with Apples odd interpretation of a 4.0" display.
__________________
An Ultra Fast Mac Is...My Favorite
ixodes is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:20 PM   #6
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Yes it is a good phone.

Too bad it's not the outstanding phone Apple's capable of building. Oh well there's always 2014.

By the looks of early leaks, the 2013 model remains crippled with Apples odd interpretation of a 4.0" display.
It's a good phone, but in comparison to other phones (even older models, like the Galaxy SIII) it falters. There's a reason why I'm using a Galaxy Nexus after my iPhone 4 and 4S.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Nugget of Power (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1500/3505MHz)
w00t951 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:45 PM   #7
jetlitheone
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
It's a good phone, but in comparison to other phones (even older models, like the Galaxy SIII) it falters. There's a reason why I'm using a Galaxy Nexus after my iPhone 4 and 4S.
I had the s3 and I've dreaded owning it. Lets not go there.
jetlitheone is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:55 PM   #8
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlitheone View Post
I had the s3 and I've dreaded owning it. Lets not go there.
I have the Galaxy Nexus. Let's go there. On my suspicion of you not owning an SIII, let's hear why you didn't like it.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina, iPhone 6 Plus, Nugget of Power (i7-4770K @ 4.5 GHz, GTX 980 @ 1500/3505MHz)
w00t951 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 08:58 PM   #9
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlitheone View Post
I had the s3 and I've dreaded owning it. Lets not go there.
And what is so terribly wrong with it?
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:02 PM   #10
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Besides a few, not that many people are whining. Some people actually have legitimate concerns and issues.
wordoflife is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:03 PM   #11
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
iPhone 4 still rocks...

Since I'm not in a situation where I need to replace my perfectly good phone, I want to see if Apple actually improves its products or takes baby steps.

I have to say, Android is looking good. It was pretty bad before, but it has come a long way, almost up to par with iOS.

Jobs was right, iOS was ahead of the competition up to 5 years. Five years is over now, that statement might not be true anymore.
irDigital0l is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:04 PM   #12
jetlitheone
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
The phone itself felt cheap, like a toy, the earpiece for making calls (yes I make calls on a phone) was very loud but not clear whatsoever just blow Out sounding. I loved jelly bean but it hasn't been update on my carrier and the android ecosystem on everything but nexus is garbage. You buy a phone and you get an is that's 6 months old or won't get the next update... The phone also isn't as fluid as the iphone and the gaming on it is mediocre also the pentile display looks horrible for some things. But good for others (ill give it that)
jetlitheone is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:04 PM   #13
smellysox8
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordoflife View Post
Besides a few, not that many people are whining. Some people actually have legitimate concerns and issues.
Apparently whining is if you spend hundreds of dollars on a brand new product that is already scratched before peeling the plastic.
smellysox8 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:05 PM   #14
jetlitheone
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
iPhone 4 still rocks...

Since I'm not in a situation where I need to replace my perfectly good phone, I want to see if Apple actually improves its products or takes baby steps.

I have to say, Android is looking good. It was pretty bad before, but it has come a long way, almost up to par with iOS.

Jobs was right, iOS was ahead of the competition up to 5 years. Five years is over now, that statement might not be true anymore.
I think apple will be forced into a position to make a really innovate phone again. Maybe if someone comes out with a truly remarkable product that will crush the iphone. I love the new lg Optimus but I've not used it. The links 920 was supposed to be good as well. It sucked.
jetlitheone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysox8 View Post
Apparently whining is if you spend hundreds of dollars on a brand new product that is already scratched before peeling the plastic.
Doesn't happen to the majority either.
Beeplance is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:10 PM   #16
irDigital0l
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlitheone View Post
I think apple will be forced into a position to make a really innovate phone again. Maybe if someone comes out with a truly remarkable product that will crush the iphone. I love the new lg Optimus but I've not used it. The links 920 was supposed to be good as well. It sucked.
My point was that Apple needs to stop thinking its invincible (oops, not invisible) and can just keep suing.

iPhone was truly innovative (Multi-touch display, powerful UI, etc.)
iPhone 4 was a major step up (Retina display, iOS 4, cameras)

To be honest, iPhone 5 doesn't seem to be that major. Not sure if its because Android products are just getting a lot better or iOS 6 was lackluster or that there was no special feature or surprises at the event.

Last edited by irDigital0l; Dec 5, 2012 at 09:21 PM.
irDigital0l is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:10 PM   #17
wordoflife
macrumors 604
 
wordoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysox8 View Post
Apparently whining is if you spend hundreds of dollars on a brand new product that is already scratched before peeling the plastic.
That's also an issue, but some other major issues like bending are very concerning.
wordoflife is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
My point was that Apple needs to stop thinking its invisible and can just keep suing.

iPhone was truly innovative (Multi-touch display, powerful UI, etc.)
iPhone 4 was a major step up (Retina display, iOS 4, cameras)

To be honest, iPhone 5 doesn't seem to be that major. Not sure if its because Android products are just getting a lot better or iOS 6 was lackluster or that there was no special feature or surprises at the event.
I agree. The iPhone 5 is just not as stunning anymore, but I think the upgrades are better than nothing. Apple needs to figure something out soon, and also stop with the mentality that their products are always superior to others. During the keynote, it was almost hilarious that they always said "The most advanced..", "The easiest way...", "Nothing like this on the market"...

If they continue at this pace, I want to see what happens in a couple of years....
Beeplance is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:23 PM   #19
CosmoPilot
macrumors 65816
 
CosmoPilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Carolina
Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixodes View Post
Yes it is a good phone.

Too bad it's not the outstanding phone Apple's capable of building. Oh well there's always 2014.

By the looks of early leaks, the 2013 model remains crippled with Apples odd interpretation of a 4.0" display.
It's a good phone, but in comparison to other phones (even older models, like the Galaxy SIII) it falters. There's a reason why I'm using a Galaxy Nexus after my iPhone 4 and 4S.
Ahh, but is there a reason you still lurk MR?
__________________
2011 27" 2.7GHz iMac 2012 2.5GHz 13" MBP iPhone 6 / iPhone 5S / iPhone 5 iPad Air AppleTV / AEBS 802.11ac
CosmoPilot is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:25 PM   #20
Breezygirl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
From watching the threads here for a while I don't think the whining is going to stop anytime soon unless Apple at least makes an attempt to improve. It's only going to get worse.
Breezygirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:29 PM   #21
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezygirl View Post
From watching the threads here for a while I don't think the whining is going to stop anytime soon unless Apple at least makes an attempt to improve. It's only going to get worse.
What's more, people know the next generation iPhone wouldn't be that much of an improvement but they will still purchase it. Then,

They whine.

It's a vicious cycle.
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:33 PM   #22
Breezygirl
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Alberta, Canada
And with good reason, I keep hoping they will once again try to be leading and inovative. So sad, they have many new followers and their loyal ones but even we are starting to die off. It's sad to watch really, Apple will be the death of themselves.
Breezygirl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Prime85
macrumors 6502a
 
Prime85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00t951 View Post
It's a good phone, but in comparison to other phones (even older models, like the Galaxy SIII) it falters. There's a reason why I'm using a Galaxy Nexus after my iPhone 4 and 4S.
It's sad when a 6 month old phone is considered an older model
Prime85 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:36 PM   #24
Beeplance
macrumors 65816
 
Beeplance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezygirl View Post
And with good reason, I keep hoping they will once again try to be leading and inovative. So sad, they have many new followers and their loyal ones but even we are starting to die off. It's sad to watch really, Apple will be the death of themselves.
I know right? I watch every single one of their keynotes every year, the iOS department is really starting to falter. I think Mac OSX is still ok, their macbooks and iMacs are still quite decent.

Can't wait and see how Jony Ive is gonna change this. I think he'll need Eddy Cue's help with this one.
Beeplance is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2012, 09:51 PM   #25
w00t951
macrumors 68000
 
w00t951's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: 116th & Broadway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime85 View Post
It's sad when a 6 month old phone is considered an older model
It's halfway through its life cycle. That's an "older" model.
w00t951 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stop already with the 128gb whining.. Gaprofitt iPhone 68 Sep 18, 2013 07:38 PM
Whining noise Onimusha370 iMac 10 Dec 17, 2012 06:03 PM
Not whining here Rocks. iPad 0 Oct 23, 2012 06:28 PM
Why all the whining about iOS 6? karsal iOS 6 122 Sep 22, 2012 12:15 PM
Why we can't all have airplay mirroring, aka stop whining mentaluproar OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 7 Jul 26, 2012 03:39 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC