Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:49 PM   #1
marty1990
macrumors 6502

I dropped my iPad!

First time ever. Sort of. I'm 5'7" and I dropped it dropped it from around my waist, whilst attempting to remove it from my bag. It fell, whilst still in the bag. It's an STM Stash bag. Would that be enough protection to stop any damage? It seems fine like, but not sure how much iPad's can take.
marty1990 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 04:55 PM   #2
EMAN19
macrumors 6502

I'm sorry about that. No physical signs of damage? I guess only time will tell. I have an STM bag for my iPad mini as well and it feels very secure when it is zipped up, as there is very little room for it to move around.

iPad mini Wi-Fi 64GB White iPhone 4 16GB White iPod Nano 8GB Silver
EMAN19 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Pinkie Pie
macrumors regular

It should be perfectly fine. I dropped my completely naked iPad about 3 feet onto a tile floor once. The corner hit the ground, then it bounced and landed on its face. Result: minuscule dent in the corner. iPads are TOUGH.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:17 AM   #4
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

mild concussion, if your ipad dont act funny at times then it should be fine.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:47 AM   #5
THFourteen
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
It should be perfectly fine. I dropped my completely naked iPad about 3 feet onto a tile floor once. The corner hit the ground, then it bounced and landed on its face. Result: minuscule dent in the corner. iPads are TOUGH.
my wife clinked the side of her ipad 3 with a cereal bowl and resulted in 3 large cracks to the screen, we are considering having it repaired.

they aren't that tough.
THFourteen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:08 AM   #6
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by THFourteen View Post
my wife clinked the side of her ipad 3 with a cereal bowl and resulted in 3 large cracks to the screen, we are considering having it repaired.

they aren't that tough.
Depends on how the glass is struck. Take glass used in shower enclosures - it can take a dead on shot shot with a hammer. Tap the edge and it shatters.

Making glass strong one way weakens the structure another way and so I'd say that is the what happened in your case. The glass in the iPhones and iPads is amazingly durable, but you cannot escape physics and the molecular structure of glass
maflynn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:26 AM   #7
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Yeah, they seem to have a propensity to spiderweb if they impact upon the corner. Happened to my wife's 2nd gen and my friends 3rd.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:41 PM   #8
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie View Post
Ipads are tough. Not really. My mini in a leather case slipped out from under my arm and the screen completely shattered. The genius replacing it under applecare + got shards of glass in his fingers. He couldnt believe how thin the screen is.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:45 PM   #9
Steevie
Banned

It will explode
Steevie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 06:55 PM   #10
donnaw
macrumors 6502a

Last year we were vacationing at the coast. The bedroom I was in had ceramic tile floors and one of those old-timey beds that was 3 ft or so high. I put my iPad on the night table and plugged it in. It was laying flat.

Sometime during the night my 3 year-old granddaughter came and got in bed with me. So of course she rolled off onto the floor. I think her arm caught my iPad because somehow it went down too. In fact the sound of the iPad hitting the floor was what woke me up.

She didn't even wake up (kids can sleep through anything even falling 3 ft onto stone) and my iPad ended up face down on the floor. Not a scratch, dent, scuff, nothing. Don't ask me how because I wouldn't have believed it. It must have landed just right.

Damage depends completely on the angle of impact. Some of us have been lucky, some haven't.
donnaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:42 PM   #11
Nychot
macrumors 6502a

I'm sure the big ipad screen is stronger than my shattered mini's. i have an. Ipad 3 and i can tell its thicker and stronger than the mini. I feel more confident in the screen of my nexus 7 over the mini. I couldnt believe how it completely shattered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnaw View Post
Last year we were vacationing at the coast. The bedroom I was in had ceramic tile floors and one of those old-timey beds that was 3 ft or so high. I put my iPad on the night table and plugged it in. It was laying flat.

Sometime during the night my 3 year-old granddaughter came and got in bed with me. So of course she rolled off onto the floor. I think her arm caught my iPad because somehow it went down too. In fact the sound of the iPad hitting the floor was what woke me up.

She didn't even wake up (kids can sleep through anything even falling 3 ft onto stone) and my iPad ended up face down on the floor. Not a scratch, dent, scuff, nothing. Don't ask me how because I wouldn't have believed it. It must have landed just right.

Damage depends completely on the angle of impact. Some of us have been lucky, some haven't.
Nychot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:47 PM   #12
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty1990 View Post
First time ever. Sort of. I'm 5'7" and I dropped it dropped it from around my waist, whilst attempting to remove it from my bag. It fell, whilst still in the bag. It's an STM Stash bag. Would that be enough protection to stop any damage? It seems fine like, but not sure how much iPad's can take.
No damage. The case is rigid enough to prevent flexing of the Motherboard, and there are no moving internal parts.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad