Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
richpuer
macrumors 6502

Question Anyone returning their iPad mini they bought this week bcuz of mini 2?

I just got one after going to the store day after day for two weeks for my wife and now she hears this news of the new mini 2 launch coming in march and she wants me to go return it. Anyone else having the same thoughts? I guess we could play with it for 14 days and take it back.

She says she would rather have retina on it so it's a no Brainer for her.
richpuer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:07 PM   #2
flavr
macrumors 6502

March is the full size iPad's time in the spotlight with a redesign, iPad mini will get a speed bump. Then in the fall the full size iPad gets a speed bump and the mini goes retina!

I think its pretty straightforward...

March for iPad mini will be:

A6
1GB RAM
Non retina

Fall will be:

A6X
1GB RAM
Retina

March for iPad 5 will be:

A6X
2GB RAM
Updated streamlined design like mini

Fall for iPad will be:

A7X
2GB RAM

In other words iPad 4 owners are going to feel more disappointed come march than iPad mini owners...
flavr is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:18 PM   #3
richpuer
macrumors 6502

^^^ so you're sure mini 2 will only get a speed bump?
richpuer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:19 PM   #4
Solomani
macrumors 68000

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 1 a while ago. And then 3 months later, Samsung was ready to replace it with a new model. So I returned my Galaxy Tab 1, and got version 2. And then 15 days later Samsung came out with another newer model. So I returned that one and got the newer model. And then 2 months later, they came out with an even larger tablet model. So I returned the third one because I was jealous of the larger tablet model. And then 3 months after that, I heard rumors that they were readying a Gangnam Style tablet model, so I returned my 4th tablet, and....
Solomani is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:36 PM   #5
richpuer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomani View Post
I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 1 a while ago. And then 3 months later, Samsung was ready to replace it with a new model. So I returned my Galaxy Tab 1, and got version 2. And then 15 days later Samsung came out with another newer model. So I returned that one and got the newer model. And then 2 months later, they came out with an even larger tablet model. So I returned the third one because I was jealous of the larger tablet model. And then 3 months after that, I heard rumors that they were readying a Gangnam Style tablet model, so I returned my 4th tablet, and....
Not sure if serious but it sucks that appl return policy is only 14 days. Cramps my gangnam style
richpuer is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:41 PM   #6
Piccio
macrumors member

Find a different interest than technology, it's sad and frustrating live with the feeling that what you're going to buy it's wrong even before that you'll unwrap it and you'll have fun with it.

And it's also sad and frustrating listen every single rumor, that most of the time are just speculations, you know Apple is a joint stock company.

You're going to return a device that is 2 months and 10 days old. So why should you buy the iPad Mini 2 if after 6 months you can buy the iPad Mini 3, and why even buy the Mini 3 if in about 1 year you can buy the iPad Mini 4? And why... etc. etc.
Piccio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:06 AM   #7
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

You guys do realize that for many reasons, technical/competitive/etc, that the whole idea that there will be a March refresh of iPads is just not true, right? Are people actually just buying into this lunacy?

OP, go ahead and return your iPad mini ... just be prepared to wait until October to get an iPad mini 2.
thelookingglass is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Che Castro
macrumors 601

Just keep it

If a newer one comes out in march sell the one you have

We will probably know a few days before the event or even weeks if there will be a new mini

So you'll have plenty of time to sell it before the announcement
Che Castro is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:15 AM   #9
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
You guys do realize that for many reasons, technical/competitive/etc, that the whole idea that there will be a March refresh of iPads is just not true, right? Are people actually just buying into this lunacy?

OP, go ahead and return your iPad mini ... just be prepared to wait until October to get an iPad mini 2.
Your reply makes me think back to all the people here who swore the ipad mini was not real and would never be released.
Spungoflex is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 12:52 AM   #10
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Need now buy now. Mini still selling like hotcakes.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:11 AM   #11
cheezeit
macrumors 6502

Maybe they will make a ipad mini mini
cheezeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:22 AM   #12
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezeit View Post
Maybe they will make a ipad mini mini
Or an iPod Nano Mini!
Solomani is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:31 AM   #13
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
March is the full size iPad's time in the spotlight with a redesign, iPad mini will get a speed bump. Then in the fall the full size iPad gets a speed bump and the mini goes retina!

A6
1GB RAM
Non retina

Fall will be:

A6X
1GB RAM
Retina

A6X
2GB RAM

Fall for iPad will be:

A7X
2GB RAM

In other words iPad 4 owners are going to feel more disappointed come march than iPad mini owners...
doubt it, because people are very used to it and heavily rely on it
washburn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:43 AM   #14
flavr
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
doubt it, because people are very used to it and heavily rely on it
?? Very used to what and heavily rely on what?...
flavr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:59 AM   #15
thelookingglass
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungoflex View Post
Your reply makes me think back to all the people here who swore the ipad mini was not real and would never be released.
Great logic ...

Ok, you tell me then. Other than one random banking analyst, please tell me what evidence we have aside from pure speculation that refreshed iPads are coming in March? Mass production for a March launch would have to have already begun. But we see no leaked parts, no nothing actually. Way different scenario for the iPad mini. We were already seeing leaked back plates and other parts several months before the actual launch. Aside from the fact that it makes very little business sense to release new models less than six months after the latest version was released, there is no evidence aside from rampant analyst speculation from certain "sources" to show a March refresh.
thelookingglass is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:03 AM   #16
susa
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpuer View Post
^^^ so you're sure mini 2 will only get a speed bump?
That is the main thing to me. I'd rather not wait the full second, well occasionally two, it sometimes takes to load a webpage, but I'm still loving my mini and can wait patiently for the new one. I could never sell it now and do without for any length of time.
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:15 AM   #17
Spungoflex
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelookingglass View Post
Great logic ...

Ok, you tell me then. Other than one random banking analyst, please tell me what evidence we have aside from pure speculation that refreshed iPads are coming in March? Mass production for a March launch would have to have already begun. But we see no leaked parts, no nothing actually. Way different scenario for the iPad mini. We were already seeing leaked back plates and other parts several months before the actual launch. Aside from the fact that it makes very little business sense to release new models less than six months after the latest version was released, there is no evidence aside from rampant analyst speculation from certain "sources" to show a March refresh.
Yup, you sound exactly like all those people (probably 60% of this forum). You probably were one of those people.
Spungoflex is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 03:17 AM   #18
The Man
macrumors 6502

iPad 3rd generation was slightly thicker and heavier because of the battery needed for the retina. Charging became up to 5 hours.

Are they going to do this to the 2nd gen iPad mini too? Maybe. Or maybe IGZO screens with low power consumption are ready. But we haven't really heard anything about that.

I don't think Apple is going to wait a full year, but we have seen that Apple has become more flexible with the anouncements. So maybe not March but a few months later before new school year. Who really knows?

What is certain is that they need some announcement early in the year. MacBook Air needs Haswell, and when does Intel ship those? With WWDC comes the new OS X and maybe iOS. And we have the new Mac Pro.
The Man is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:15 AM   #19
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

The iPad mini is nothing but a glorified iPad 2 with added portability. I hope the mini 2 will catch up at least to the iPad 3 in terms of RAM and CPU power, and I still don't dare to hope for retina display.
DesertEagle is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:47 AM   #20
maflynn

March was the time that we'd see a new iPad but because they came out this fall with the iPad 4 and the mini, there's no guarantee we'll see anything this spring.

Anything stated here is rumor. If you like you mini, enjoy it and don't worry about the future.
maflynn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:49 AM   #21
Technarchy
macrumors 601

I'm waiting for the iPad Mini 4. Only a sucker would settle for a stripped down 2nd or 3rd generation model.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:50 AM   #22
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post

A6
1GB RAM
Non retina

Fall will be:

A6X
1GB RAM
Retina

A6X
2GB RAM

Fall for iPad will be:

A7X
2GB RAM

You sound so certain, yet none of it is fact, it's all speculation based on nothing but a rumour or two, neither of which are credible or substantive ("based on our checks at CES..."). Selling this as fact is bad advice. My advice to the OP is to keep the mini, there is no big update coming - they are still not keeping up with demand for the current product, now would be the worst time to update it in any way, even a minor spec bump (the demand is outstripping supply, there is no need to update it, and the channel couldn't sustain an update anyway).

Last edited by WilliamLondon; Jan 12, 2013 at 06:56 AM.
WilliamLondon is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:52 AM   #23
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

If you can hold out 2 months, wait. No one knows anything right now...it's all speculation.
mattopotamus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:02 AM   #24
maflynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
If you can hold out 2 months, wait. No one knows anything right now...it's all speculation.
Then you're 2 months closer to an actual release and if you hold out another two months you may see the mini two in a few months after that

If you want/need one now, get it and if they come out with another mini in the spring/summer/fall then sell what you have and buy the new version
maflynn is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:33 AM   #25
Defender2010
macrumors 68000

Keep watching for rumours on the next Apple event date. Hold on to your iPad Mini until then and sell it just before or on the day or the event announcement, or during the week leading up to the event itself for full resale value.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad