New Operating System - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:16 PM   #1
karboN.6
macrumors regular

New Operating System

Does anyone know what the new operating system is and when it is supposed to come out? I was wondering whether or not to buy Mountain Lion because I have Snow Leopard right now.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:18 AM   #2
r0k
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by karboN.6 View Post
Does anyone know what the new operating system is and when it is supposed to come out? I was wondering whether or not to buy Mountain Lion because I have Snow Leopard right now.
OSX is not terribly expensive. I wouldn't worry about upgrading only to have a new version come out in a few months at the prices Apple is charging these days. If you don't need a particular feature of ML (the ability to manage shared photostreams from iPhoto on your Mac and not just from your iThings for example), I suggest you wait until there is a compelling reason to upgrade.

One possible reason to consider upgrading is security updates. While MS releases security updates for their OS for decade(s), Apple tends to drop support for any OS that is two versions old or older. SL is two versions old and I'm not sure it's getting any updates.
r0k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:00 PM   #3
karboN.6
macrumors regular

Im just worried because i see everyone going back to snow leopard from lion.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:19 AM   #4
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Your seeing the few people that have trouble and/or don't like the changes that Apple has done. The majority of Mac users are very happy with Mountain Lion or you would be seeing a LOT more "switching back" posts.

Mountain Lion is a very nice upgrade to Snow Leopard provided you don't need Rosetta and have at least 4GB of RAM (a SSD helps too).
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:26 AM   #5
tmanto02
macrumors 6502a

It's called osx tabby cat and will be due out on the 30th of February.

Glad I could help
tmanto02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:29 AM   #6
gregorsamsa
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
Your seeing the few people that have trouble and/or don't like the changes that Apple has done. The majority of Mac users are very happy with Mountain Lion or you would be seeing a LOT more "switching back" posts.

Mountain Lion is a very nice upgrade to Snow Leopard provided you don't need Rosetta and have at least 4GB of RAM (a SSD helps too).
For all those with new Macs who miss Rosetta support, I imagine many more would switch back if only it was so cut & dry to get hold of a legit copy of Snow Leopard & simply install an older version of OS X on a new Mac. Unfortunately, for some people at least, it isn't that simple.
gregorsamsa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:58 AM   #7
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
the question you need to ask yourself is if there is anything that you want or need Mountain Lion for. And with the loss of Rosetta is there any software you'd have to stop using or find replacements for.

If we go by when Lion and Mountain Lion were released, it's possible we could see the next OS X version in July. But it could be after that as well.

And rememebr APple has dropped OS updates to $20 US.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Gregg2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post
That's my birthday! If it brings back Spaces, I'm in!
Gregg2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
WSR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg2 View Post
That's my birthday! If it brings back Spaces, I'm in!
Agreed, but I would also need better multi-monitor support with Full-Screen mode, and more control over ML's features.
WSR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:54 PM   #10
TOMIMOT
macrumors regular

C'mon were talking about a 19$ OS, I say why not?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:17 AM   #11
MichaelLAX
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
the question you need to ask yourself is if there is anything that you want or need Mountain Lion for. And with the loss of Rosetta is there any software you'd have to stop using or find replacements for.

If we go by when Lion and Mountain Lion were released, it's possible we could see the next OS X version in July. But it could be after that as well.

And rememebr APple has dropped OS updates to $20 US.
Still need Rosetta in Lion or Mountain Lion?

Install Snow Leopard (with Rosetta) into Parallels
MichaelLAX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:14 AM   #12
Tar Sniffer
macrumors regular

No information on OS X 10.9 has been released, but many people expect it to follow the same trend as 10.8, with an announcement later this month and a public release in July.

Personally I love Mountain Lion, and recommend it to all users with iOS devices due to iCloud syncing. If you use Calendar (formerly iCal), Notes, Contacts or Reminders, than you will find this feature to be extremely useful since all changes will be updated across your devices.

The new gestures that were introduced in 10.7 and 10.8 are also a great addition.

I purchased the latest MacBook Pro last year, so I can't judge how much smoother Mountain Lion is compared to Snow Leopard on an older device, but from what I hear it's almost identical in terms of performance.

You could wait until 10.9, but you should take into account that new releases can often be buggy, meaning you should wait a couple months for things to be ironed out before installing. So having said all that, at $20 I would just download Mountain Lion.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:50 AM   #13
SanJacinto
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar Sniffer View Post
No information on OS X 10.9 has been released, but many people expect it to follow the same trend as 10.8, with an announcement later this month and a public release in July.

Personally I love Mountain Lion, and recommend it to all users with iOS devices due to iCloud syncing. If you use Calendar (formerly iCal), Notes, Contacts or Reminders, than you will find this feature to be extremely useful since all changes will be updated across your devices.

The new gestures that were introduced in 10.7 and 10.8 are also a great addition.

I purchased the latest MacBook Pro last year, so I can't judge how much smoother Mountain Lion is compared to Snow Leopard on an older device, but from what I hear it's almost identical in terms of performance.

You could wait until 10.9, but you should take into account that new releases can often be buggy, meaning you should wait a couple months for things to be ironed out before installing. So having said all that, at $20 I would just download Mountain Lion.
Do you work for Apple?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:53 AM   #14
maflynn

Quote:
Not everyone - I love ML, and even Lion wasn't bad. True Snow Leopard was a great OS, but not initially, that too had issues early on. With Mountain Lion Apple produced a solid stable OS with lots of good features.

I believe they moved to an annual incremental release and if that's the case we may see 10.9 being announced in the next month or two with an estimated summer release. I have no inside information, just guessing.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:36 PM   #15
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmanto02 View Post

Glad I could help
I was sure it was going to be called SaberTooth.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:39 PM   #16
1member1
macrumors 6502

I can't wait for the preview. 10.8 is amazing compared to other operating systems.
1member1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:46 PM   #17
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Mountain Lion is much better than Lion, but Lion was not that bad. There are some people who just don't like change. People who are not happy are more likely to post a negative comment, that people who are happy on a forum like this.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X