Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Staples Appears Set to Begin Selling Apple Products in U.S.

Last week, MacRumors received word that office supply retailer Staples would soon begin offering Apple products for sale. While the company has offered Apple products in international markets for some time, it had long been unsuccessful in striking a deal for the U.S. market.

We were unable to confirm the claim at the time, but 9to5Mac now reports that Apple products have begun appearing on the Staples website in the United States as part of an Apple Mock Up section. The section includes a number of products, including the Apple TV (listed at a remarkably low price of $49.99) and iPad Smart Covers, all marked with "Test" in the item description.

While the products listed on the test pages are limited to accessories with the exception of the Apple TV, our original source had claimed that Apple's full lineup of Macs, iPads, and at least the iPhone 5 would be coming to Staples in the United States. No specific timeframe for an official launch of Apple's products at Staples beyond "in the coming months" has been shared.

Article Link: Staples Appears Set to Begin Selling Apple Products in U.S.
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:59 AM   #2
KieranDotW
macrumors 6502

Strange, Staples Canada's been selling iPads, iPods, and Macs for at least a couple years.
KieranDotW is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Eduardo1971
macrumors 6502a

I' m sure that $49 on the site is surely also be a 'test'. I can not imagine Staples selling this at a loss.
Eduardo1971 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:04 AM   #4
Glassed Silver
macrumors 6502

aTV for 50 bucks would be quite a deal to be honest...

Glassed Silver:mac
Last login: Sat May 5 22:52:51 on ttys000
Society-System:~ dumbnut$ rm -rf ~/Library/mind.db ~/Library/Frameworks/tolerance
~/Library/Frameworks/commonsense ~/integrity ~/individuality
Glassed Silver is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:04 AM   #5
maflynn

They seem to be moving into the consumer electronic arena lately so it makes sense.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:06 AM   #6
chakdey
macrumors member

It shows its out of stock
chakdey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:12 AM   #7
jouster
macrumors 65816

It sells the Surface too.
jouster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:36 AM   #8
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post
Actually, it carries the Surface. Not sure they are selling any....
DudeDad is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:37 AM   #9
cowpaintings
macrumors member

A lot of people forget, but Staples once sold Mac computers during the John Scully years and it was a mess. The salesmen had no idea what to do with them, and they were often put in a corner away from the other computers. Same with Sears. My first mac (power pc 6400) was purchased at staples.
cowpaintings is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:40 AM   #10
KnightWRX
macrumors Pentium

You mean Staples USA didn't carry Apple products ?

We've had the whole line-up at Staples for quite a few years now.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:51 AM   #11
Squilly
macrumors 68000

I had an interview at Staples recently. The interviewer who happened to be the assistant manager said electronics are their least profitable items.
Squilly is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:18 AM   #12
Chuck-Norris
Banned

staples been selling aple stuff in canada for a while now, nothing new here LOL
Chuck-Norris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:29 AM   #13
barkomatic
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
As the article states, U.S. Staples stores have not carried Apple products up to this point--so it is new. Though not terribly exciting.
barkomatic is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:34 AM   #14
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by jouster View Post
They do a great job selling the Nexus 7 & 10.

Having an excellent relationship with Google they always have a complete line in stock.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:42 AM   #15
wrinkster22
macrumors 68030

it will be good when you guys get Apple stuff at staples, they frequently have good deals/combos.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:47 AM   #16
dhj1429
macrumors newbie

Out of Stock

This "Test" must have been a small one. They are already out of stock
dhj1429 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:58 AM   #17
petey2133
macrumors member

So basically apple says.. No, you are not good enough to sell our stuff. Then apples stock dips (thanks to boring iphone 5 sales and mac sales) and they reach out to staples making them feel special by allowing them to sell their products.

Win for apple, and no one will buy anything from staples anyways.

That was easy.
petey2133 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:09 AM   #18
DudeDad
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I had an interview at Staples recently. The interviewer who happened to be the assistant manager said electronics are their least profitable items.
Something in any store is the least profitable....having electronics brings in customers, and in a store like Staples, once you are there, you find other things you didn't know you needed...it's a good move IMO...
DudeDad is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:23 AM   #19
beejam
macrumors member

I was able to order two last night. Threw in a roll of duct tape and used the $15 off of $100 coupon. Everything said it went through but I never got an email confirmation. Just checked this morning and my order no longer shows the ATV's but it seems they are in process of shipping me a roll of duct tape! All well, it was worth a try.
beejam is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #20
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
They need them as loss leaders and to drive traffic. When was the last time your friends said, hey, let's go check out the cool manilla folders at Staples?
rdowns is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:36 AM   #21
John.B
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The section includes a number of products, including the Apple TV (listed at a remarkably low price of $49.99) and iPad Smart Covers, all marked with "Test" in the item description.
I'd pick up a 3rd gen TV for that price!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:43 AM   #22
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck-Norris View Post
Shhhh, don't tell anyone... We might stop getting things first (for once!)... :-D

Not that this is actually exciting... But it is convenient, as Staples is closer to the Apple Store or Best Best or Future Shop for me.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:00 AM   #23
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpaintings View Post
A lot of people forget, but Staples once sold Mac computers during the John Scully years and it was a mess. The salesmen had no idea what to do with them, and they were often put in a corner away from the other computers. Same with Sears. My first mac (power pc 6400) was purchased at staples.
That was years ago when Macs were bought by like 1/10th of 1% of business folks. Now they are all over the place in offices. So it makes much more sense for Staples to carry them. Even for some stores that have service shops to Mac and mobile device certify a person or two. If only far enough to be able to facilitate mail in service for their customers after verify it is hardware (because they are trained to recognize software related stuff and fix it). There are still big pockets that don't have an Apple store but do have several Staples stores so such a move does make some sense. Both on the sales and service side.

----------

Quote:
Well that makes sense given the low pricing of most of the electronics they sell

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkster22 View Post
it will be good when you guys get Apple stuff at staples, they frequently have good deals/combos.
Don't assume that will continue. Apple apparently wouldn't let Costco etc discount Apple stuff beyond a measly 10% off iTunes cards. So it's unlikely they would allow Staples to discount either

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey2133 View Post
So basically apple says.. No, you are not good enough to sell our stuff. Then apples stock dips (thanks to boring iphone 5 sales and mac sales) and they reach out to staples making them feel special by allowing them to sell their products.

Win for apple, and no one will buy anything from staples anyways.

That was easy.
No proof of any of that. But nice try at the trolling
charlituna is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:21 AM   #24
snberk103
macrumors 603

When I think of it, it's surprising how many places you can buy a Mac in Victoria, BC, a small city near us. You can find them at London Drugs and Staples, which are two main "chains" with multiple stores in Victoria. I don't know about Walmart or Costco. And there are at least 3 small independents that I know of. But of course no 'Apple Store'.

Our Staples offers free delivery on a ridiculously small purchases. I wonder if that will apply to Macs as well.

I thought it was like that in the US too.

---

As others have said, I doubt Staples is making a big profit on the Macs themselves, but they will make their markups on the "other stuff" - speakers, USB hubs, external HDDs, printers and printer inks, etc. Plus - they will take some business away from their competitors.

----

Actually, I'm not that surprised that Canadian Staples had Macs before the US. Canadians sometimes don't realize that we often get used as a test market by international firms - Smart Cars for instance. Also, sometimes even big US based multinationals will test drive a product in Canada. They can test it in an "American-like" market, but under the radar of the American competitors.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:04 PM   #25
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightWRX View Post
You mean Staples USA didn't carry Apple products ?

We've had the whole line-up at Staples for quite a few years now.
Not at every Staples it seems. The one near me doesn't have any Apple products unless you count the HP Envy.
1Alec1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion