Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:32 PM   #1
deaglecat
macrumors regular

Deciding between iPad mini and iPad Retina (a guide)

For those (like me) struggling to choose, hopefully this will help put an end to the endless posts about which of these two superb products to spend your hard earned cash on..

Instructions: score the questions on a scale of 0=Not at all to 5=Very much

Factors for the iPad mini

How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)

TOTAL for iPad mini =

Factors for the iPad retina

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5)
How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5)

Total for iPad retina =

Whichever scores higher wins !

(And if you don't like the answer that you get ... well then maybe that has helped make your decision too )

Deag.
deaglecat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:37 PM   #2
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by deaglecat View Post

1. How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
2. How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
3. How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
4. How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5)
5. How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)

TOTAL for iPad mini =

6. How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5)
7. How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5)
8. How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
9. How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
10. How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5)

Total for iPad retina =

1. 0
2. 5 (I would like to give this a 7 out of 5)
3. 2.5
4. 2
5. 3.5

Mini = 13
==========

6. 2
7. 0
8. 2
9. 4
10. 4

ipad = 12
danpass is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:43 PM   #3
deaglecat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
1. 0
2. 5 (I would like to give this a 7 out of 5)
3. 2.5
4. 2
5. 3.5

Mini = 13
==========

6. 2
7. 0
8. 2
9. 4
10. 4

ipad = 12

Too close to call dude... you would be happier with either. As a trained scientist, I would say this is within the margin of error of the test !
deaglecat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
For those (like me) struggling to choose, hopefully this will help put an end to the endless posts about which of these two superb products to spend your hard earned cash on..

How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5)
How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)

TOTAL for iPad mini =

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5)
How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5)

Total for iPad retina =

(And if you don't like the answer that you get ... well then maybe that has helped make your decision too )

Deag.
Is the ipad 4 really more future proof?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:50 PM   #5
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Too close to call dude... you would be happier with either. As a trained scientist, I would say this is within the margin of error of the test !
Not if it was 15 v 12

A 1-10 scale may be better.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samtb View Post
I would say it depends more on what happens with iOS than on hardware.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:01 PM   #6
deaglecat
macrumors regular

For me the scores are

mini 4,3,2,2,3 = 14
retina 5,2,2,2,2 = 13

Mini is the winner (for me)... just.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
freediverdude
macrumors 6502a

I didn't score it like that, but the mini won out for me. I considered the lightness/portability/less cost/newer design to be more important for me than the retina/larger screen/faster internals.

And edited to add, I had both right in front of me, and had the money to purchase either of them right then and there, and had to make a decision (and I hate making decisions like that), and went with the mini.

Last edited by freediverdude; Jan 28, 2013 at 02:47 PM.
freediverdude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:42 PM   #8
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Yes.

It will run increasingly demanding software longer.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 03:18 PM   #9
go ipad
macrumors member

Retina rocks!
go ipad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:59 PM   #10
brand
macrumors 68040

This is not a guide.
brand is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #11
kevroc
macrumors regular

How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 4
How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0

TOTAL for iPad mini = 4

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5) = 3
How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5) = 4
How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5) = 0
How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5) = 5
How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5) = 0

Total for iPad retina = 12

Mini = 4
iPad 4 = 12

No contest.

Side note: The mini speakers may be stereo, but head to head I find the iPad 4's speaker better in overall tonality and quality.
kevroc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:43 PM   #12
flavr
macrumors 6502

The new iPad 5 form factor blows the doors off the iPad 4

iPad mini = 1

iPad 4 = ZERO

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/28/...-5-rear-shell/
flavr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:24 AM   #13
kitzuki
macrumors regular

This isn't a guide its more of a questionnaire lol
kitzuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:23 AM   #14
Amplelink
macrumors 6502

I think you're missing one very important attribute for the mini. Its real world battery life is incredible. Much longer than the rated 10 hours. This has been well documented on Anandtech and is a significant benefit over the iPad with retina.
Amplelink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:07 AM   #15
cardfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavr View Post
The new iPad 5 form factor blows the doors off the iPad 4

iPad mini = 1

iPad 4 = ZERO

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/28/...-5-rear-shell/
In a case, you won't see any new form factor. Who cares?
cardfan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:14 AM   #16
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Whichever scores higher? This isn't a guide; more like a chick magazine survey but iPads replaced men.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:33 AM   #17
maflynn

I never got these type of surveys. Simply put the person is going to put more emphasis on what they already want. That is I want an iPad mini so I'm going to consciously pick what makes the iPad mini a better choice for me.

The bottom line, pick the product that best fits your needs. Do you want a retina display, then get the iPad 4, need or like the smaller form factor of a 7" tablet, then get the mini. Simple
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:57 AM   #18
AppleRobert
macrumors 68030

Struggling to choose is accomplished by trying out what you are interested in, not by this whatever scoring thread.
AppleRobert is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:07 AM   #19
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The iPad 4 will be more future proof due to the A6X processor being more powerful than the A5 in the iPad Mini.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:10 AM   #20
bobbysmith
macrumors regular

Improved guide:

Want a small iPad? Pick the iPad mini.
Want a big iPad? Go with the regular iPad.
bobbysmith is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:46 AM   #21
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysmith View Post
Improved guide:

Want a small iPad? Pick the iPad mini.
Want a big iPad? Go with the regular iPad.
This is the only guide you need.

It's amazing how people like to complicate things.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:18 PM   #22
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I never got these type of surveys. Simply put the person is going to put more emphasis on what they already want.
I think you DO "get" these surveys after all.

They're a silly construct to help people realize they actually do know what they want.

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 01:51 PM   #23
deaglecat
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maflynn View Post
I never got these type of surveys. Simply put the person is going to put more emphasis on what they already want. That is I want an iPad mini so I'm going to consciously pick what makes the iPad mini a better choice for me.
yup ! that's kinda the point.

Quote:
They're a silly construct to help people realize they actually do know what they want.
and yup again.

All it does is list the differences and perhaps help folk consider how much they value the differences.... and maybe we get in 1 less "which iPad should I buy ?" thread that seem so popular on this board.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:46 PM   #24
Samtb
macrumors 6502a

How often do you have to zoom in with a mini when looking at websites?
Samtb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 05:55 PM   #25
WillFisher
macrumors 6502

Quote:

TOTAL for iPad mini =

Total for iPad retina =

Deag.
=13

=13

Dammit.

iToys: White iPhone 5, White iPad 3, ATV3, Time Capsule, Airport Express.
WillFisher is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad