All iPads Deciding between iPad mini and iPad Retina (a guide)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by deaglecat, Jan 28, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

For those (like me) struggling to choose, hopefully this will help put an end to the endless posts about which of these two superb products to spend your hard earned cash on..

Instructions: score the questions on a scale of 0=Not at all to 5=Very much

Factors for the iPad mini

How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
    How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
    How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)
    How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5)
    How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5)

TOTAL for iPad mini =

Factors for the iPad retina

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5)
    How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5)
    How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
    How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5)
    How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5)

Total for iPad retina =

Whichever scores higher wins !

(And if you don't like the answer that you get ... well then maybe that has helped make your decision too :D )

Deag.

2. macrumors 68020

danpass

1. 0
    2. 5 (I would like to give this a 7 out of 5)
    3. 2.5
    4. 2
    5. 3.5

Mini = 13
    ==========

6. 2
    7. 0
    8. 2
    9. 4
    10. 4

ipad = 12

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Too close to call dude... you would be happier with either. As a trained scientist, I would say this is within the margin of error of the test !

4. macrumors 65816

Is the ipad 4 really more future proof?

5. macrumors 68020

danpass

Not if it was 15 v 12 :D

A 1-10 scale may be better.

----------

I would say it depends more on what happens with iOS than on hardware.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

For me the scores are

mini 4,3,2,2,3 = 14
    retina 5,2,2,2,2 = 13

Mini is the winner (for me)... just.

7. freediverdude, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

macrumors 6502a

I didn't score it like that, but the mini won out for me. I considered the lightness/portability/less cost/newer design to be more important for me than the retina/larger screen/faster internals.

And edited to add, I had both right in front of me, and had the money to purchase either of them right then and there, and had to make a decision (and I hate making decisions like that), and went with the mini.

8. macrumors G3

Yes.

It will run increasingly demanding software longer.

9. macrumors member

Retina rocks!:cool:

10. macrumors 601

brand

This is not a guide.

11. macrumors regular

How much do you value the cost saving of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
    How much do you value the reduced weight/increased portability of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 4
    How much do you value the thin bezel, newer industrial design of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
    How much do you value the stereo speakers in the mini over the mono speakers in the retina iPad (0-5) = 0
    How much do you value the reduced charge time (2.5 hrs vs 6-7hrs with 12w charger) of the mini over the retina iPad (0-5) = 0

TOTAL for iPad mini = 4

Factors for the iPad retina

How much do you value the retina iPad display over the lower resolution mini (0-5) = 3
    How much do you value the 9.7" screen of the iPad retina over the 7.9" screen of the mini (0-5) = 4
    How much do you value the better screen quality (blacks, gamut etc) of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5) = 0
    How much do you value the increased speed of the iPad retina over the mini (0-5) = 5
    How much do you value the future proofing of the iPad retina 1024Mb RAM vs mini 512Mb RAM (0-5) = 0

Total for iPad retina = 12

Mini = 4
    iPad 4 = 12

No contest.

Side note: The mini speakers may be stereo, but head to head I find the iPad 4's speaker better in overall tonality and quality.

12. macrumors 6502

13. macrumors regular

kitzuki

This isn't a guide its more of a questionnaire lol

14. macrumors 6502a

I think you're missing one very important attribute for the mini. Its real world battery life is incredible. Much longer than the rated 10 hours. This has been well documented on Anandtech and is a significant benefit over the iPad with retina.

15. macrumors 6502

16. macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Whichever scores higher? This isn't a guide; more like a chick magazine survey but iPads replaced men. :)

17. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never got these type of surveys. Simply put the person is going to put more emphasis on what they already want. That is I want an iPad mini so I'm going to consciously pick what makes the iPad mini a better choice for me.

The bottom line, pick the product that best fits your needs. Do you want a retina display, then get the iPad 4, need or like the smaller form factor of a 7" tablet, then get the mini. Simple :)

18. macrumors 68040

Struggling to choose is accomplished by trying out what you are interested in, not by this whatever scoring thread.

19. macrumors 6502a

bohbot16

The iPad 4 will be more future proof due to the A6X processor being more powerful than the A5 in the iPad Mini.

20. macrumors regular

Improved guide:

Want a small iPad? Pick the iPad mini.
    Want a big iPad? Go with the regular iPad.

21. macrumors G3

This is the only guide you need.

It's amazing how people like to complicate things.

22. macrumors 6502a

I think you DO "get" these surveys after all.

They're a silly construct to help people realize they actually do know what they want.

Regards,
    Tom

23. thread starter macrumors regular

yup ! that's kinda the point.

and yup again.

All it does is list the differences and perhaps help folk consider how much they value the differences.... and maybe we get in 1 less "which iPad should I buy ?" thread that seem so popular on this board.

24. macrumors 65816

How often do you have to zoom in with a mini when looking at websites?

25. macrumors 6502

WillFisher

=13

=13

Dammit.