Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Hi, I have a iMac 27 , Mid 2010.

Right now, it has 2GB x 4 slots = Total 8GB installed.

I wanted to make it 16GB, so got 2 8GB kits from Crucial,
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3-12800-204-Pin-Modules-CT2C8G3S160BM/dp/B008LTBJFW/

Then just took out all of my 2GB RAMs and placed in 2 8GB in two slots. Kept other 2 slots vacant.

Now when I start, the iMac gets to the desktop screen , and then restarts . Whats going on ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd hazard a guess the memory you installed is defective or not seated properly.

Did you try putting the old memory back in to see if the issue persists?

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
I'd hazard a guess the memory you installed is defective or not seated properly.

Did you try putting the old memory back in to see if the issue persists?

Just placed back the old 2GB ones and the imac is back in action.

Guys, is there a limit from Apple that it wont support 8GB RAM in one slot ?

Mine is 1600 SO DIMM one.

Yes pa

Not sure, how to do that. After I installed, I restarted and the mac started off. After staying 1 min on the main home screen, it restarted with a error panic screen.

soamz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Orissa, India
Ah bad, it only supports upto 4GB for a slot.

Complete wastage of money now. I cant even return those RAMs . Damn it Apple. Stupid limitations.

RUGERMAN

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2010
Memory limitation?

Complete wastage of money now. I cant even return those RAMs . Damn it Apple. Stupid limitations.

HUH? Maybe you should have done just a little research first. I always thought that might be a good idea.

lixuelai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008

It is funny that you didnt research prior to the upgrade and nor did you research after you had problems. Your iMac can use 8GB sticks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.