Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion

Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:39 PM   #1
phas3
macrumors 6502a

Help on essay topic

So I have this essay that is due in a few days, I was given an essay question but I feel like it doesn't make sense for some reason. Here is the question:

Compare and contrast exploration and colonization during the 15th - 18th century. What was the motivation for these endeavors? What were the costs and benefits of each, and what impact did these endeavors have on various groups? Explain.

I just feel like it is so broad and exploration and colonization are completely different from each other.

Can anyone help me out here, maybe with a thesis or some topic sentences?
phas3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:40 AM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Why don't we just write the whole thing for ya?
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:09 AM   #3
phas3
macrumors 6502a

No, I just want to know if the topic sounds right to you guys? And if so then explain.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:10 AM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Somehow I don't think you'll do well even after we explain it to you.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:28 AM   #5
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I don't think it's wanting you to compare and contrast both together, but more like your essay should be half about exploration and half about colonization, and you should be analyzing 15th - 18th century between the two topics. Like you said, they're both two completely different things.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:59 AM   #6
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I don't think it's wanting you to compare and contrast both together, but more like your essay should be half about exploration and half about colonization, and you should be analyzing 15th - 18th century between the two topics. Like you said, they're both two completely different things.
You just restated te question. Your topic is so broad and generalized. There are so many aspects about colonization and exploration. You have the demographics, economic, natural, laboral, and social aspects of it. Not to mention the knowledge that came from the needs of that area.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 05:35 AM   #7
stonyc
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to stonyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by jav6454 View Post
You just restated te question. Your topic is so broad and generalized. There are so many aspects about colonization and exploration. You have the demographics, economic, natural, laboral, and social aspects of it. Not to mention the knowledge that came from the needs of that area.
It would probably help to know what class this is for... is this for political science? Economics? General history? That could help the OP frame his response within the appropriate context.
stonyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:34 AM   #8
phas3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyc View Post
It would probably help to know what class this is for... is this for political science? Economics? General history? That could help the OP frame his response within the appropriate context.
This is for History of the Americas
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:50 AM   #9
stonyc
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to stonyc
Quote:
Originally Posted by phas3 View Post
This is for History of the Americas
Well, not knowing the general perspective of your class/professor, ask yourself some of these questions...

What was the primary motivation of the European powers to colonize the Americas?

What was the primary motivation of the American exploration to the West?

Were the motivations of the European colonization of the Americas and those of the American exploration of the West the same? Different?

What conflicts arose out of them? Why (again going back to the primary reasons for colonization versus exploration)?
stonyc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:05 AM   #10
phas3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyc View Post
Well, not knowing the general perspective of your class/professor, ask yourself some of these questions...

What was the primary motivation of the European powers to colonize the Americas?

What was the primary motivation of the American exploration to the West?

Were the motivations of the European colonization of the Americas and those of the American exploration of the West the same? Different?

What conflicts arose out of them? Why (again going back to the primary reasons for colonization versus exploration)?

Okay that puts it more into perspective; thank you. I really appreciate your help.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 10:14 AM   #11
Mousse
macrumors 65816

Easy as pi. Pick two nations, one from each time period. Compare how the got their (_!_) to the new country and what they found. As yerself, was it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Why don't we just write the whole thing for ya?
I'll give it a shot.

Nation A got there "First!" Or so they thought. Who knew the place was already populated by half nekkid people? None too friendly half-nekkid people at that. The new comers got their (_!_) kicked three ways to Sunday and their hearts offered up to Quetzalcoatl. Way to fail, Nation A. Nation B, having read their history books, sent guys with guns and diseases. When they ran out of ammo, they sneezed on the natives and wiped them out, took their land. Epic win for Nation B.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 01:28 PM   #12
ultra7k
macrumors regular

how did it turn out?

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion