Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:35 PM   #1
kevjen888
macrumors regular

Went to the Apple Store today to exchange my iPhone5 due to yellowish screen

the displayed model has that cool blueish tint we've seen on the iphone4 and 4s. so i was hoping to get one just like that. the Apple store guy brought out a sealed white box contained just an iPhone5, without any accessories to swap for my phone. i compared that with mine, not much difference at first, but after 5 minutes of staring at them side by side, i chose the replacement phone. the Apple store guy told me they're brand new phones just for exchange and replacements, therefore they don't come with other accessories, just a phone itself. now the more i think of it, did Apple store just gave me a refurbished phone?
kevjen888 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:42 PM   #2
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
The yellow tint is glue that hasn't completely dried out yet, and it will disappear after a few days (hence the one on display didn't have it anymore).
Giuly is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:43 PM   #3
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Why would it matter? It's not like you have them back a brand new phone. What's the problem with refurb anyway? What matters is if the replacement solved your complaint.

Yellowish tint is not always glue. My iPhone has it toward the top edge, and it is not going away.
cruzmisl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:46 PM   #4
kevjen888
macrumors regular

i'm over the yellow screen issue, now i'm worrying whether i just traded in my iPhone5 i bought brand new 2 weeks ago for a refurbished one. my serial number starts with DQGK
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:48 PM   #5
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjen888 View Post
i'm over the yellow screen issue, now i'm worrying whether i just traded in my iPhone5 i bought brand new 2 weeks ago for a refurbished one. my serial number starts with DQGK
If it's better than your old one, who cares?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:50 PM   #6
kevjen888
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMF View Post
If it's better than your old one, who cares?
i care. it's only marginal better than the one i had. i'd rather use my own trash than somebody else's.
kevjen888 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:52 PM   #7
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Quote:
i care. it's only marginal better than the one i had. i'd rather use my own trash than somebody else's.

You do realize that it's not like wearing someone's old underwear. I don't know why you have an issue with this but your stance is frankly ridiculous.

If you rather have your old phone then why did you exchange it? And what are they supposed to do with the one you gave back? Melt it for scraps or fix it and make it serviceable because its just a PHONE.
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:54 PM   #8
NMF
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Apple refurbs are generally QC'd much more than new products.

Last edited by dejo; Feb 19, 2013 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Removed insults.
NMF is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:56 PM   #9
kevjen888
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzmisl View Post

You do realize that it's not like wearing someone's old underwear. I don't know why you have an issue with this but your stance is frankly ridiculous.
well i have my reasons. mine was a Verizon iPhone5 which was factory unlocked. i was going to use it oversea next month. i forgot to ask the apple store guy whether the replacement phone is a Verizon phone or other carriers', it was my fault, i forgot to ask, i will call them tomorrow.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:57 PM   #10
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Quote:
well i have my reasons. mine was a Verizon iPhone5 which was factory unlocked. i was going to use it oversea next month. i forgot to ask the apple store guy whether the replacement phone is a Verizon phone or other carriers', it was my fault, i forgot to ask, i will call them tomorrow.
They will only swap the same phone. It will be Verizon and the GSM will be unlocked.
cruzmisl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 10:59 PM   #11
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
The "new phone I bought 2weeks ago" kinda entitles you to a phone that has been used for two weeks, no? Otherwise you could just replace it every two weeks for two years and have an unlocked, brand new iPhone 5 when you get your iPhone 6.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
kevjen888
macrumors regular

Quote:
They will only swap the same phone. It will be Verizon and the GSM will be unlocked.
yes, that may be the case, but i just remember the guy also told me they will not exchange for me again due to the color issue because the "new" phone i got had been "accepted" (his word) by Verizon now, so it can't be used on other carriers. that made me wonder whether they gave me another carrier's phone and used my nano-sim from my old phone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
The "new phone I bought 2weeks ago" kinda entitles you to a phone that has been used for two weeks, no? Otherwise you could just replace it every two weeks for two years and have an unlocked, brand new iPhone 5 when you get your iPhone 6.
any new iphone has a one year warranty no? i have an legitimate issue with the yellowish screen, it is widely reported everywhere. back to my original question, does any one received a replacement phone from Apple store came with just the phone itself?
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:06 PM   #13
cruzmisl
macrumors regular

Warranty replacements are always white boxed units by themselves
cruzmisl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 PM   #14
NMF
macrumors 6502a

And yes, they're refurbs.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:07 PM   #15
kevjen888
macrumors regular

Quote:
Warranty replacements are always white boxed units by themselves
there, that's the answer i was looking for, thanks.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:15 PM   #16
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Of course you got a white box phone, why should you get a retail boxed phone?

It doesn't mean it's a refurb but so what if it is? It still carries the same warranty and if you're not happy with something take it back for inspection and possible replacement.
AFDoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 06:47 AM   #17
Brian Y
macrumors 68000

Quote:
yes, that may be the case, but i just remember the guy also told me they will not exchange for me again due to the color issue because the "new" phone i got had been "accepted" (his word) by Verizon now, so it can't be used on other carriers. that made me wonder whether they gave me another carrier's phone and used my nano-sim from my old phone.

----------

any new iphone has a one year warranty no? i have an legitimate issue with the yellowish screen, it is widely reported everywhere. back to my original question, does any one received a replacement phone from Apple store came with just the phone itself?
They could have repaired it. Instead, they chose, for your convenience to give you a refurbished phone instead. White box phones can be anything. They can be new, they can be factory QC failures that have been re-manufacturered, or they can be faulty phones that have gone back, had a new battery and outer casing, and have been fixed.

Doesn't matter if you like it or not - check the T&C you signed on their iPad (they'll have been emailed to you). Says that they may use new or refurbished parts.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 07:44 AM   #18
syd430

You don't get a brand new car when your car has a problem under warranty. A refurb iphone is a new outershell, new buttons, new battery.

Second point: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...41&postcount=7
  1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:13 AM   #19
kevjen888
macrumors regular

i think the bigger concern now is whether they gave a Verizon iphone 5 or other carrier's phone with my old nano sim card. this is important because one of the reasons i went with Verizon is their ip5 came out of factory unlocked. i will call them today.
Old Feb 19, 2013, 09:41 AM   #20
Grolubao
macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak, install Color Profiles and choose whatever screen color you like. Fixed
Grolubao is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:30 AM   #21
sviato
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Hope it doesn't keep you up for too many nights
sviato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 10:43 AM   #22
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

If it was only 2 weeks old, why didn't you just return it, and repurchase? You have 30 days to do so..
Old Feb 19, 2013, 01:57 PM   #23
tardman91
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I can't understand why people get their panties in such a wad over the new vs. refurb thing. If you can't tell, what does it matter? All Apple refurbs are given new outer cases, batteries, accessories (when needed), etc. They have better quality control than a new item and (in most cases) comes with the same warranty as new. It's not like they took John Q. Public's nasty old iWhatever device and stuck it in a white box to just hand over to you. Apple refurbs are almost better than new, and I always opt for them unless I can get it cheaper by ordering new through Amazon.
tardman91 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:03 PM   #24
saud0488
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardman91 View Post
I can't understand why people get their panties in such a wad over the new vs. refurb thing. If you can't tell, what does it matter? All Apple refurbs are given new outer cases, batteries, accessories (when needed), etc. They have better quality control than a new item and (in most cases) comes with the same warranty as new. It's not like they took John Q. Public's nasty old iWhatever device and stuck it in a white box to just hand over to you. Apple refurbs are almost better than new, and I always opt for them unless I can get it cheaper by ordering new through Amazon.
It must be because all of his friends are now going to judge him for being the not-cool guy since he has an iPhone that's refurbished.

So. Incredibly. Dumb.
saud0488 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2013, 02:03 PM   #25
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

There's gotta be like 20 threads every day.
Did I get a refurbished replacement or is it brand new cause I dont want or wont accept a refurb.
Weird ocd people that cannot even tell if its a refurb or not but just the idea it might be drives them nuts
It works, it looks and feels brand new, noone can even tell if its new or refurb. Just use it and worry about something worth worrying about instead.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone