Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to TmoNews, T-Mobile is gearing up to introduce significant changes to its service in March, eliminating both contracts and early termination fees, along with implementing installment payments for its equipment. T-Mobile's move to end subsidies was confirmed by the company in late December.
-For starters, kiss contracts goodbye as T-Mobile moves to a no-contract world. Existing customers will finish out their current contract or upgrade to a new device without a new contract, whichever comes first. New customers won't have to suffer with any long-term commitments. Contract wise that is.

-Early termination fees will be a thing of the past as well, which makes complete sense when announced with the removal of contracts.

-Expect the introduction of a new equipment installment plan tier, likely in the $25 - 30 dollar range as T-Mobile moves to make all its smartphones $99 or less as down payments. A $30 tier makes sense if you consider the retail value of the device is $699 = $30 x 20 monthly payments.
Along with the service updates, T-Mobile is also expected to refine its brand image, with a focus on its "Dual 4G" HSPA+ and LTE networks and the retirement of its former "Stick Together" tagline.

The news of T-Mobile's upcoming revamp comes just after AT&T posted full page ads in The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, and USA Today lambasting the carrier for dropped calls and slow download speeds.

attvstmobile.png
The attack is a response to T-Mobile CEO John Legere, who called the AT&T network "crap" back in January. The animosity between the two companies began after AT&T failed to purchase T-Mobile following objections from the Federal Communications Commission and the Department of Justice.

T-Mobile is the fourth largest carrier in the United States, behind AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint. Though T-Mobile does not currently offer Apple products, Apple has confirmed that it plans to offer its products via T-Mobile in 2013.

Article Link: T-Mobile Attacked by AT&T in Newspaper Ad Ahead of Potential Rebranding

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Based on watching our political leaders, Apple v Samsung, and ATT v Tmobile, I have learned that it's okay to be fully grown up yet act like a toddler on a regular basis.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
ATT poking fun at dropped calls? LOL

And tmobiles 4G is up to twice as fast as ATT's.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
T-Mobile must have hit a nerve. They must be doing something right.
I have 2 iPhones on ATT and 1 on T-Mobile.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
When T-Mobile starts carrying the iPhone, it will not be subsidized, so we will have to pay full price for it.

But they will finance it, so you don't have to eat the full price in one shot. Even when this happens, it will cost a lot less than buying it subsidized from AT&T and having to pay their grossly high rates. Plus, I'm sure T-Mobile will let us tether at no extra charge, like they currently do.

I think I will stay with T-Mobile and get the iPhone from them, as my iPad is already on AT&T's Unlimited Data Plan (can't tether or FaceTime over LTE).
Sometimes one has better reception than the other, so I can choose which one to use.

Arcady

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2002
Lexington, KY
That ad, both the content and the font choice, looks like it was created by a child.

AT&T sucks. (And my iPhone is on AT&T.)

poneley

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
I cannot wait for folks to ditch AT&T and the other big two cell companies for T-Mobile. Once T-Mobile gets full support of the iPhone, its game over. I know I'll be switching this fall.

Tuan X

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
So AT&T was like “Yo, what’s good baby? I got all this bread & I’m willing to spend it on you if you be my b*tch.” Even though he’s slow & very shallow, T-Mobile was like, “Ok boo, let’s plan this wedding. But since you ballin’ & everything you gotta get me a crib, a new whip & a puppy.” T-Mobile knew these gifts couldn’t be taken back if things didn’t go well. So T-Mobile & AT&T planned their wedding, even though they knew their parents may not approve because AT&T is Jewish & T-Mobile’s Atheist.

Time goes by, they're about to get married, but their parents are like, “Get the hell outta here you’re not marrying a (Jew/Atheist),” they’re forced to break up. AT&T is upset they didn’t get their girl. T-Mobile is like “ooohhh, sorry boo. Thanks for the whip though.”

T-Mobile quickly meets another guy, Metro PCS, he’s an atheist too! He doesn’t have much money but he’s got personality & is goal oriented. T-Mobile falls in love. They decide they want to get married & oddly Metro PCS agrees to change his name to hers (you know she got an ego); but T-Mobile’s willing to let Metro PCS wear the pants in the relationship.

AT&T, jealous as all hell, starts talking crap about T-Mobile. “Ohhhh, whatever yo, that chick is slow. Forget her. Look at me I’m ballin’, she know she miss this!” Clearly upset because he realized T-Mobile was playing him from the start.

Last edited:

robvas

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2009
USA
All valid points. It's tough to find people who love TMobile or Sprint, everyone on those networks is just pinching pennies.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Fighting between the two biggest distorters of what 4G is? Guess liars can't stand other liars.

majordude

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2007
Hootersville
I'd rather stand in line for seven hours and sign a two year contract with DMV than with AT&T. They are the worst company I ever dealt with. Poor cellular service and even worse customer service.

liltechdude

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Harrisburg, PA
If T-Mobile's network is so bad, then why did AT&T want to buy it?

Slimy move, AT&T.

One word: spectrum

EDIT: Also, everything in AT&Ts ad has held true for me. Here in Western PA, T-Mobile's network is terrrrible. Extremely slow. AT&Ts HSPA+ and LTE coverage in Pittsburgh is really good. While AT&T's LTE network doesn't have the large footprint like Verizon, where it is available its really fast. Consistent 40-50mbps down on LTE and 10mbps on HSPA+ and I'm within the city limits of Pittsburgh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.