Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
This is bad form. :(

No. This is AT&T.

----------

Ok, we can let the dropped calls comment go, but you are smoking crack if you think t-mobile is up to twice as fast at AT&T. I get 25-40Mb on my iphone consistently in Florida. AT&T's network is WAY bigger and global to boot.

Of course AT&T's network is global. Because they ride on T-Mobile's backbone outside of the US, where T-Mobile is much bigger and more respected than them.

----------

If you are talking about 4G HSPA+ then yes you are correct as AT&T HSPA+ is only 21 Mbps while T-Mobile is 42 Mbps.

When it comes to total 4G coverage, AT&T LTE is definitely more than 2X faster than T-Mobile HSPA+. Personally, I have seen speeds of over 65 Mbps on AT&T LTE.

In all three places that it's available?

----------

So if you quit their service, I take it you'd still have to make payments for the phone if you take it elsewhere?

Yes. That's the rub here, folks. Whether you buy a subsidized contract phone or a full price phone you're still paying for it. Subsidies are like Aaron Rents. It's a financing plan for people who either don't think about it, or don't want to think about it.

The difference is that, if for some reason you were to just keep on going after your contract was up on a subsidized phone, the phone company would be more than happy to keep taking that amortized payment every month even though you paid for the phone long ago. At least with full priced, no contract phones the whole thing is more transparent.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
Any time one company directly targets another it makes me wonder what the company on the receiving end is doing right.

jca24

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2010
DFW
ATT in Dallas is great on LTE, 4G, and so was 3G.
t-mo is the crap, it's laughable.
They are mad because the buyout didn't go through, they don'y have LTE, and they don't have the iPhone.

Oh, and all they have to sell are the cheap plastic phones!

:apple:

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Wow. No contract? Go T-Mobile! I can't believe it. It looks like the beginning of something great! I've always said this must be the future, and here it is! If I was in the US I would immediately switch to them. And if others did that too, it would give them enough money to sort out any slowness issues immediately.

Oh and AT&T: two times more dropped calls? So every year you'll get two dropped calls instead of one? Oh noe! And downloading an ebook will take 0.2 seconds instead of 0.4? Oh the drama! No wonder directly attacking another brand in an advert is simply illegal in most countries.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
You guys crack me up. :D

You're offended because two cooperate giants are slugging it out? As a consumer always looking for the best deal, I'd be more concerned if they weren't slinging mud.

No contracts. We're turning into Europe! :eek:

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The sad part is that Deutsche Telekom, the parent company of T-Mobile US, is even smellier "crap" than AT&T. But applying what works for most European carriers (except for Detusche Telekom, obviously) to T-Mobile US might turn out great, actually.

Now give us an iPhone and everybody's happy*.

* Only in areas where LTE is available. See t-mobile.com if that applies to you.

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011
When T-Mobile starts carrying the iPhone, it will not be subsidized, so we will have to pay full price for it.

But they will finance it, so you don't have to eat the full price in one shot. Even when this happens, it will cost a lot less than buying it subsidized from AT&T and having to pay their grossly high rates. Plus, I'm sure T-Mobile will let us tether at no extra charge, like they currently do.

I think I will stay with T-Mobile and get the iPhone from them, as my iPad is already on AT&T's Unlimited Data Plan (can't tether or FaceTime over LTE).
Sometimes one has better reception than the other, so I can choose which one to use.

I'm with you Iceman, iPhone 5 on T-Mobile here I come (and LTE :D) :apple:

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Listening to two mobile carriers cat-fighting and calling each other names like this, I just want to sit them down and gently explain, "Girls, you're both ugly!"

(I'm switching to T-Mobile because they offer a service plan that includes plenty of data and text, and a small number of voice minutes – which I still won't use up – for half the price of AT&T's cheapest plan.)
I don't know. Have you not seen T-Mobile's spokeswoman? Carly? She's kind of hot.

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
If there network is so terrible then why did AT&T want to buy it in the first place????? I must admit I am extremely satisfied with AT&Ts network... But it's still crap too lol...

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
ATT poking fun at dropped calls? LOL

And tmobiles 4G is up to twice as fast as ATT's.

No doubt. On my 4S, I get from 30Kbps to 9Mbps if I am lucky.

On T-Mobile, I get between 17-21Mbps constantly. I hate AT&T now, I left Verizon in January to them having worse speeds than AT&T.

Rock on T-Mobile!

Wolfpup

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2006
AT&T can claim what they want, but for me T-Mobile's coverage is waaaaaaaaaaaaay better than AT&Ts, not that that's saying anything. AT&T gets virtually no 2G coverage (let alone 3G) even in populated areas right off the highway for me.

T-Mobile drops to 2G quite often, though at least WORKS, and when it's 3G, it's really fast. AT&T you're lucky to get 1 bar of 2G.

I don't get AT&T, they're the but of every cell phone joke across the nation, and...well, I guess it's cheaper to market than to actually build new towers.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Ok, we can let the dropped calls comment go, but you are smoking crack if you think t-mobile is up to twice as fast at AT&T. I get 25-40Mb on my iphone consistently in Florida. AT&T's network is WAY bigger and global to boot.

I'm smoking crack? Perhaps you are confused.

You may get 20-40 MegaBITS down (3-5 megaBYTES), certainly not 25-40 MegaBYTES.

Mb (Megabits) is not a measurements of link speeds, so that isn't even an appropriate measurement.

And that is LTE, not "4G". AT&T may have more 4G than Tmobile in more places, but Verizon has more LTE than AT&T so it's all relative. Network size alone doesn't equate to network experience for a user.

If you are talking about 4G HSPA+ then yes you are correct as AT&T HSPA+ is only 21 Mbps while T-Mobile is 42 Mbps.

When it comes to total 4G coverage, AT&T LTE is definitely more than 2X faster than T-Mobile HSPA+. Personally, I have seen speeds of over 65 Mbps on AT&T LTE.

4G is HSPA+, LTE is LTE. I'm well aware of Tmobile having faster 4G, hence my original post. I'm also well aware of AT&T LTE having more coverage and probably better speeds, but Verizon trumps them in both arenas. We were talking about 4G, not LTE.

TheRealTVGuy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Orlando, FL
I'm in Orlando, and NEVER had a dropped or failed call with tmobile. Two years ago when I first got my iPhone 4 on AT&T, I had dropped calls ALL the time.

It's since gotten better, but it was almost enough to make me give up my phone.

Sidebar, I called AT&T recently and asked that since my two years was up and my subsidy paid for, when can I expect to see a decrease in my monthly bill? The poor kid on the phone nearly died laughing.

I'm free to switch whenever now, so I'm REALLY hoping we get simultaneous LTE data and phone calls on Verizon this year. If so, iPhone 5S here I come!!

FirePhantom

macrumors member
Could you show anymore how clueless you are about networks? Yes, they wanted to buy their network not to supplement their own but to replace it.

That doesn't make much sense. Why spend so much money on something you're going to replace anyway? Why not just spend the money to expand their own network infrastructure?

I think it's probably a mix of what others have said: infrastructure, spectrum, and customers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.