Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
After reading every page in this thread, about 95% of you guys have no idea what you're talking about.

wiseoracle

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2009
It's nowhere near as bad as T-Mobile is here in Atlanta!

T-Mobile is great when you can actually get a signal.

AT&T ain't all that, but it's better than T-Mobile in Atlanta

Like I said, it all depends on where you live and use the phone most. For me, I use my Verizon iPhone 99% of the time in Atlanta. In the 18 years I have had service with PacTel/airtouch/Verizon, I have had less than dozen dropped calls and half of those were on my iPhone 4. My experience with my tmobile phone has been great over the last 5 years. I guess I'm lucky with their service. I know that friends of mine in the Grant Park area suffer spotty service but again, my experience with AT&T has been much worse - especially in east Atlanta.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
ATT poking fun at dropped calls? LOL

And tmobiles 4G is up to twice as fast as ATT's.

Seriously? Because we're getting 64mb/sec here in Atlanta. What are you getting? So you're saying TMobile, with barely a 4G network to speak of, is getting 128mb/sec? Riiiigggghhhht.

----------

I really do not like the ad.
It on the date of entry into the forum , does anyone stop it.

WTH are you talking about? And I mean that. I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. You want someone to stop the Ad in the paper (kinda late for that) or you want it removed from the forum because you, personally, don't like it, AND because it's the day you joined? What?

----------

Like I said, it all depends on where you live and use the phone most. For me, I use my Verizon iPhone 99% of the time in Atlanta. In the 18 years I have had service with PacTel/airtouch/Verizon, I have had less than dozen dropped calls and half of those were on my iPhone 4. My experience with my tmobile phone has been great over the last 5 years. I guess I'm lucky with their service. I know that friends of mine in the Grant Park area suffer spotty service but again, my experience with AT&T has been much worse - especially in east Atlanta.

I used to have tmobile in East Atlanta. Well, in the front corner of one room. Kinda sucked. But everywhere else was good. Just not my house.

On a side note, we're not supposed to talk and drive, right? Every look at a tmobile coverage map in the old days (and probably att / verizon too)? If you got in real close, the coverage was based on the major highways. Your signal got worse the farther you were from the major highway. They knew where people were going to use their phones. Mobile phones were still considered a "car" phone.

----------

So, I'm using an unlocked iPhone 4S on T-Mobile, and I compared with a friend with an iPhone 4S on AT&T. We both had full bars of 3G, and ran a speed test from the same location. My speed was about 2.5x faster than his was, so I'm not sure how they get off saying that T-Mobile is 50% slower.

Also, I've never dropped a call on T-Mo for no reason. And the only time I've failed a call is when I'm in a place with sketchy coverage. So yeah... I've actually had a much better time on T-Mo than I ever did on AT&T.

Because your test has no scientific validity whatsoever. And because you tested 3G and not 4G LTE which is the speed being discussed. Oh, wait, you can't use your 4S for LTE on tmobile. Soooo, what was your point?

----------

T-Mobile knows that there are a ton of perfectly functional iPhone 4's out there that are off contract and can be unlocked. They aren't really going for folks who pay the unsubsidized rate, they are going to go for the folks that buy their phone used and then want the cheap data plan. Really, that is play right now. Who cares if the download speed is super fast or just decent, it will be good enough for many people who just want to have a $50 per month bill instead of a $100 per month bill. If your phone and download speeds are mission critical, then get Verizon and pay the money. But for a lot of people, a cheaper plan is a better plan.

The next wave is the iPhone 4S's coming off contract. There are even more of those that will free up soon. I assume that all the two year old Androids are nearly useless, but eventually the Galaxy 3S will also be off contract. These phones are lasting and they can surf the internet and get App updates, so they really aren't becoming obsolete. AT&T is shiiiting itself right now. Verizon is laughing because its older phones are not compatible so they can't be converted by T-Mobile.

And ATTs phones can only do 3G. Not even HDSPA+. So they're not really much of a thread on TMobile.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
Seriously? Because we're getting 64mb/sec here in Atlanta. What are you getting? So you're saying TMobile, with barely a 4G network to speak of, is getting 128mb/sec? Riiiigggghhhht.

No one is getting 64mb/s on 4G, perhaps you mean LTE? And your single isolated case does not equate to nation wide performance.

Rootus

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2008
Portland, OR
I bought a 1-month prepaid SIM from T-Mobile for my N4. Lasted three days before I cried uncle and went to the AT&T store to get a SIM. All these stories about how I could save a bunch of money on T-Mobile (average 45/month with AT&T per iPhone on our family plan), nobody mentioned that the coverage would be proportionally less :(.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
At the end of this month my contract with Verizon is up and I have already started the move to T-Mobile's $30 pre-paid plan. While where I live is still stuck in EDGE, the price is just too good to pass up. I get good enough coverage with T-Mobile and prefer to support them, since they seem to be more aligned to the customers needs currently. My money goes to those who do their best to support both the needs of the company and the customer. AT&T and Verizon have zero interest to me. Their blazing fast LTE networks mean nothing when the service is capped at terribly low transfer per month.

I applaud T-Mobile for their efforts. While the service is nowhere near perfect, neither is that of AT&T or Verizon. $30 vs $100 .. not hard for me.

emtehouse

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
Poetic....S I M P L Y Poetic!! :D

----------

Poetic.....S I M P L Y Poetic!!! LOL

So AT&T was like “Yo, what’s good baby? I got all this bread & I’m willing to spend it on you if you be my b*tch.” Even though he’s slow & very shallow, T-Mobile was like, “Ok boo, let’s plan this wedding. But since you ballin’ & everything you gotta get me a crib, a new whip & a puppy.” T-Mobile knew these gifts couldn’t be taken back if things didn’t go well. So T-Mobile & AT&T planned their wedding, even though they knew their parents may not approve because AT&T is Jewish & T-Mobile’s Atheist.

Time goes by, they're about to get married, but their parents are like, “Get the hell outta here you’re not marrying a (Jew/Atheist),” they’re forced to break up. AT&T is upset they didn’t get their girl. T-Mobile is like “ooohhh, sorry boo. Thanks for the whip though.”

T-Mobile quickly meets another guy, Metro PCS, he’s an atheist too! He doesn’t have much money but he’s got personality & is goal oriented. T-Mobile falls in love. They decide they want to get married & oddly Metro PCS agrees to change his name to hers (you know she got an ego); but T-Mobile’s willing to let Metro PCS wear the pants in the relationship.

AT&T, jealous as all hell, starts talking crap about T-Mobile. “Ohhhh, whatever yo, that chick is slow. Forget her. Look at me I’m ballin’, she know she miss this!” Clearly upset because he realized T-Mobile was playing him from the start.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Oh I believe it's possible, I've read that lte has a ceiling of over 100, plus I've seen 50 on verizon here in Atlanta.

The guy at my job with ATT swears their LTE is faster, but ever time they bust out the speed test, verizon always wins here in Atlanta.

Couple that with the largest footprint....

yosemiteg

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2013
T-Mobile is Great!

Had T-Mobile for 8 years. Never dropped a call. Friend has ATT and can't hear her half the time. Both in Bay Area. Go T-Mobile.

jnpy!$4g3cwk

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2010
One word: spectrum

EDIT: Also, everything in AT&Ts ad has held true for me. Here in Western PA, T-Mobile's network is terrrrible. Extremely slow.

Depends on where you happen to be. Where I am, T-Mobile voice has been much better than AT&T, although AT&T has been getting better. My data service on T-Mobile has been close to 10 Mbps download for quite some time, while AT&T was between 1 and 2 Mbps. AT&T data has again gotten better lately, but, it is AT&T playing catchup, not the other way around.

Unlike some of you, I'm happy to see the carriers mentioning each other by name. They are just companies, after all, not some kind of sacred entities. Good to see them actually forced to compete with each other. That is what is supposed to happen in a free market, which cell networks have never been before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.