Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:21 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Screen Ghosting on Retina MacBook Pros

Law360 reports (via 9to5Mac) that a Retina MacBook Pro owner has launched a would-be class action lawsuit against Apple, alleging that the widely reported ghosting issues are the result of defective LG screens and that Apple has been "tricking" customers into buying these by not distinguishing them from models sold with Samsung screens.

Ghost images of previous content have been widely demonstrated on some Retina MacBook Pros, as in the above video. A support thread on apple.com on the issue currently runs to over 7000 posts across almost 500 pages. Apple uses displays manufactured by both Samsung and LG in its Retina laptops, and it has been strongly indicated that the issue affects mostly machines with LG screens. Apple has so far made no statement on the issue beyond a support document in which it describes "image persistence" as a characteristic of IPS displays and gives some advice on minimizing the effects.

The lawsuit has been filed in a Federal court in California by Retina MacBook Pro owner Beau Hodges, who says that Apple should have disclosed the issue and allowed customers to choose between machines with LG and Samsung screens.
Quote:
The electronics giant must know about the differences between the two versions because it spent a considerable amount of time testing the products during research and development and has been inundated with complaints from customers about the LG screen's problems, according to the suit.

"The performance disparity between the LG version and the Samsung version is particularly troubling given that Apple represents the MacBook Pro with retina display as a single, unitary product, described as the highest quality notebook display on the market," the complaint said. "None of Apple's advertisements or representations discloses that it produces the computers with display screens that exhibit different levels of performance and quality."
A class action lawsuit is one in which an individual or small number of people file a claim representing a larger group of individuals in similar circumstances.

Article Link: Apple Faces Class Action Lawsuit Over Screen Ghosting on Retina MacBook Pros
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:22 AM   #2
maflynn

Can't say that I'm really surprised but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones with a Samsung screen and no problem
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:23 AM   #3
nizzard
macrumors newbie

Samsung 4 life
nizzard is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:24 AM   #4
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Sigh, another stupid lawsuit. Just take the thing back, I'm sure Apple will refund you.

Everyone wants a piece of the Apple pie these days.
Jsameds is offline   47 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:24 AM   #5
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

apple needs samsung but i don't know if samsung needs apple anymore
Asclepio is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:25 AM   #6
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Read about this yesterday. Finally! A shame it doesn't have to do with the displays themselves. Just Apple not acknowledging it.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:25 AM   #7
Wormwolf
Banned

This always sucked. It's like rolling a dice. I rememeber buying an iMac and praying that i get a better LCD panel, because there was one better PVA and another TN panel.
Wormwolf is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:25 AM   #8
scho52386
macrumors regular

Let me guess...this is somehow not Apple's fault... right? It has to be someone else's fault!
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:25 AM   #9
iPusch
macrumors 6502

I have a LG panel in my 15" rMBP & I am running 100% flawless... How come?
iPusch is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:26 AM   #10
Josh125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post
Sigh, another stupid lawsuit. Just take the thing back, I'm sure Apple will refund you.

How so, they are selling faulty equipment. Not sure why so many people give Apple a pass on these type of things.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:26 AM   #11
arctic
macrumors 6502a

I do hope this action will help Apple refrain from utilizing poor quality panels from LG for the succeeding generation of Macs.
arctic is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:27 AM   #12
inlinevolvo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post

You must not have read the entire article. Apple does not acknowledge this as a problem. And will gladly show you the door out.
inlinevolvo is offline   53 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:27 AM   #13
XtraSmiley
macrumors member

I'm sure Apple will just end up refunding him his cost. Waste of time lawsuits are a staple of the American way of law!
XtraSmiley is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:27 AM   #14
Kilamite
macrumors G3

A lawsuit I finally agree with!

I don't have a rMBP, but if I were to buy one and end up with an LG display, I'd exchange it. But then I might end up with another LG display. It's clearly a defect, and isn't acceptable on a machine where the selling point is the display.

Unfortunately Apple supply chain demand means Apple has to use the crappy LG display.
Kilamite is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Andy-V
macrumors 6502

Knowing the flaws of the LG screens, Apple should stop using them.
Andy-V is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:28 AM   #16
boch82
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
Its only when you are on 100% brightness and on a static screen for a while...it goes away pretty quickly when you go to another website/app.
boch82 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:28 AM   #17
Shasterball
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
You must not have read the entire article. Apple does not acknowledge this as a problem. And will gladly show you the door out.
Not true. Apple stores will replace your ghosted screen for free.
Shasterball is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:28 AM   #18
inlinevolvo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPusch View Post
Doesn't affect them all. But predominantly the LG display. I was having screen flicker issues with mine. Got a Samsung replacement. No issues in over 3 months.
inlinevolvo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:29 AM   #19
XtraSmiley
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinevolvo View Post
Nope, you have I think 2 weeks to return anything for any reason right?
XtraSmiley is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:30 AM   #20
needfx
macrumors 68020

I expected such an action sooner
needfx is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:30 AM   #21
XtraSmiley
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boch82 View Post
Its only when you are on 100% brightness and on a static screen for a while...it goes away pretty quickly when you go to another website/app.
Is that true? Why is there such a long thread about it? Are that many people doing that? Good it sounds like the whole, hold the iPhone a certain way you have problems thing...
XtraSmiley is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:31 AM   #22
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

Sue? really? Just go to Apple and get a refund. Is it always like this in America?
szw-mapple fan is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:31 AM   #23
mrmarts
macrumors 65816

How do I know what screen my 2012 retina MacBook is using.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:31 AM   #24
ArmCortexA8
macrumors 6502a

Legally, Apple should indicate externally what brand panel is used so customer's are informed. Its morally wrong to hide this information on the basis they are all identical - picture says a thousand words. Apple should only use Samsung for displays as they are better and don't have the yellow tinge that all LG panels seem to have. Im surprised Apple still buy from LG, considering this issue, and the same issue on the iMac's. Only Samsung should be used, and anyone that has an LG display should get it swapped for a Samsung model instantly - no questions asked.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:31 AM   #25
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is behind this. Would be a business strategy that is quite typical for them. Tax evasion, bribery and price fixing - why not a proxy lawsuit to smear two competitors in one go.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...a-8510588.html

Nice article describing what happens to you if you speak up against Samsung in South Korea.
gnasher729 is offline   12 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion