Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 1, 2013, 02:10 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Department of Defense Ready to Approve iOS 6 for High-Security Uses

The U.S. Department of Defense is readying a new government approval for iOS devices to be used by military agencies for nonclassified communications. This is apparently a separate approval from the "commercial mobile device implementation plan" that the DoD announced a few months ago.

The Wall Street Journal reports that the certification would not only allow more widespread use of iPhones and iPads across the military, but would signal to other security conscious companies like banks and law firms that these devices are safe to use.
Quote:
Separately, DISA is expected to rule that Apple's latest operating system, iOS 6, conforms to a different security-requirement guide, these people said. That would allow iPhones and iPads to be used by military agencies for nonclassified communications, like email and Web browsing.
The DoD is also preparing to sign off on Samsung's Galaxy line of phones for similar uses.

Article Link: Department of Defense Ready to Approve iOS 6 for High-Security Uses
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:11 PM   #2
bchery21
macrumors 6502

does this mean the president's daughters can finally imessage their friends?
bchery21 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:16 PM   #3
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

If it's just iOS 6, will the DoD stay on that version when iOS 7 comes and play the "one version behind" game until each subsequent update is deemed "safe"?
iMikeT is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:21 PM   #4
Martin92
macrumors newbie

Quote:
The DoD is also preparing to sign off on Samsung's Galaxy line of phones for similar uses.
Immediately discredits this article, iOS 6 != hardware. And if they're about to useAndroid for "high security" purposes then i'd assume they have pretty low security requirements.
Martin92 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:21 PM   #5
aeneas07
macrumors newbie

It is interesting that they are also approving Samsung devices, despite running Android, which has proven to be less than secure. I wonder if they will approve phones by company or just all of android.
aeneas07 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:29 PM   #6
komodrone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
If it's just iOS 6, will the DoD stay on that version when iOS 7 comes and play the "one version behind" game until each subsequent update is deemed "safe"?
pretty sure 99% of IT people would agree with you.
komodrone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:30 PM   #7
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin92 View Post
Immediately discredits this article, iOS 6 != hardware. And if they're about to useAndroid for "high security" purposes then i'd assume they have pretty low security requirements.
Samsung's line of Galaxy Phones have something called "Samsung SAFE" which is not part of Android. Like iOS, SAFE provides:
  • Advanced Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync features
  • On-device AES 256-bit encryption
  • VPN connectivity
  • Top-tier, multivendor Mobile Device Management support
Old May 1, 2013, 02:35 PM   #8
alexgowers
macrumors 6502

Yeah sammy being on the list makes me quiver with fear. Android in any form is just a worm hole of hurt in a military environment. I don't care if its Samsung safe that's just balls.
alexgowers is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Dan--
macrumors regular

Still probably won't install wifi so the devices can actually be used.
Dan-- is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:53 PM   #10
BC2009
macrumors 68000

Quote:
For the DoD to be only "one version behind" would be a huge step forward. I remember working with a government agency who needed their app to run on IE5 when iE8 was the newest version of IE.
BC2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:59 PM   #11
pezj
macrumors member

First time long time...
Only took the US Government 8 months after it was released to approve it. Not too shabby at all.
pezj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 02:59 PM   #12
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas07 View Post
It is interesting that they are also approving Samsung devices, despite running Android, which has proven to be less than secure. I wonder if they will approve phones by company or just all of android.
How has been proven less than secure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgowers View Post
Android in any form is just a worm hole of hurt in a military environment.
Why?

Good that DoD clears Apple for use
Old May 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #13
Wicked1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Having worked for the DOD, they generally are a version or so behind, because it takes them a while to approve new software.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:02 PM   #14
JAT
In Time-Out

This news has zero effect on my life whatsoever.
JAT is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:02 PM   #15
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
This is always how it works. The approval process is very long. Right now they aren't running the newest versions of Android or Windows either.

NIST has to approve it first. Generally then others do too after NIST does. FBI always takes a year or so in most cases.

This is from having worked with software approval with these agencies in the past. Having said that, it's also partly down to how complicated the program is. Obviously they can approve a small app much quicker than an entire OS. It's also part of how badly they want it. If there is a new app out there that does something they really want (pull passwords from a computer for instance), they'll make that testing and approval happen much quicker (although it can still take a while).
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:09 PM   #16
flottenheimer
macrumors 6502a

So, where do I get a "United States of America — Department of Defence"-approved sticker and a hardcore milistyle cover for my iPhone?
Old May 1, 2013, 03:10 PM   #17
Count Blah
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Yes, until iOS7 is approved.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:17 PM   #18
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

I stopped reading when they said they were approving an Android device.
Old May 1, 2013, 03:23 PM   #19
fenderbass146
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
so you still read the whole thing seeing as thats on the last line.....
5th Gen U2 iPod 30 GB
fenderbass146 is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 03:28 PM   #20
SirLance99
macrumors regular

Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about. Knox and SAFE from Samsung is extremely secure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeneas07 View Post
Once again, someone who doesn't know what they are talking about

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
pretty sure 99% of IT people would agree with you.
Are you guys really in the bag with Apple this much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post
Samsung's line of Galaxy Phones have something called "Samsung SAFE" which is not part of Android. Like iOS, SAFE provides:
  • VPN connectivity
Finally someone with some sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexgowers View Post
Yeah sammy being on the list makes me quiver with fear. Android in any form is just a worm hole of hurt in a military environment. I don't care if its Samsung safe that's just balls.
Get over yourself
SirLance99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:09 PM   #21
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisss1205 View Post
  • VPN connectivity
So does this mean rest of the Andorid phones are not secure enough?

I think one thing that is concerning was the report from couple of months ago showing the malware written for different operating systems. Android was clearly ahead. This is of course only one data point. Could mean a lot of different things.
2bikes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:21 PM   #22
G51989
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Yes, I'm sure you know more about the security on Samsung devices than the US department of defense.
G51989 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:53 PM   #23
pubwvj
macrumors 68000

That's our government! Always on top of things and at the vanguard. How many years until they reach OS7? Yes, I realize it isn't out yet but OS6 is about to become history when the USgov finally gets it.
http://SugarMtnFarm.com
pubwvj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:54 PM   #24
Exhale
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bikes View Post
I think one thing that is concerning was the report from couple of months ago showing the malware written for different operating systems. Android was clearly ahead. This is of course only one data point. Could mean a lot of different things.
When discussing security that these certifications (and laws) evaluate and require - number of malware is irrelevant. Particularly when the source of said malware happens to be just about the first thing that would be sealed off.

Computer security is about:
Accountability, Authentication, Nonrepuditiation, Integrity, and Confidentiality.
Exhale is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2013, 04:55 PM   #25
fullauto
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And if they're about to useAndroid for "high security" purposes then i'd assume they have pretty low security requirements.
Thought the same thing, ridiculous..
fullauto is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion