Apple Releases Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2 - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old May 9, 2013, 03:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Releases Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2

Apple has released Thunderbolt Firmware update for all Macs with Thunderbolt ports, providing stability fixes for Thunderbolt and Target Disk Mode.

The update requires OS X Lion 10.8.3 or later and uses 1.22MB of disk space. The update can be downloaded via Apple's software update page or through the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Thunderbolt Software Update 1.2
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:21 PM   #2
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Hooray! My ZERO Thunderbolt devices appreciate the update Apple.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3
spazzcat
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusVonMagnum View Post
Hooray! My ZERO Thunderbolt devices appreciate the update Apple.
For us that use it daily, do as well
spazzcat is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:35 PM   #4
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
For us that use it daily, do as well
I'm so used to Thunderbolt,SSD's and USB 3.0 I don't know what I'd do if I had to go back to slower technology.

Albeit for an expensive price. Well worth it imho.
Peace is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
Dave-Z
macrumors member

... Perhaps this will stop my MBPr from freezing when I connect the Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter.
Dave-Z is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:01 PM   #6
Exotic-Car Man
macrumors regular

Backup first

I'm going to be sure to backup my iMac first after what happened last time there was a Thunderbolt update. I need to be prepared for another kernel panic. My rule of thumb is to always backup before installing an update that requires a restart.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:07 PM   #7
parish
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The update requires OS X Lion 10.8.3 or later
10.8.3 is Mountain Lion is it not? Do they mean that, or 10.7.3?
parish is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:09 PM   #8
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Now if only I had a use for my Thunderbolt port.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:10 PM   #9
Mac32
macrumors 6502a

Can we finally use the iMac as an external display to a thunderpolt PC now?
Mac32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:11 PM   #10
Quu
macrumors 65816

I really get the sense that Thunderbolt is another Firewire. Very seldom used, high cost due to the circuitry needed.

Just curious but those of you who have Thunderbolt on your MBP's would you rather those would have been extra USB 3.0 ports instead?

EDIT:// Ok you can stop replying now :P - I get it, you guys love Thunderbolt.

Last edited by Quu; May 10, 2013 at 01:19 AM.
Quu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:14 PM   #11
b0fh
macrumors member

no issues for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-Z View Post
... Perhaps this will stop my MBPr from freezing when I connect the Thunderbolt/Ethernet adapter.
I use that nearly every day. No problems, whether I plug it in when the machine is in sleep (lid closed, plug in, open lid) or not (lid open, plug in).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quu View Post
I really get the sense that Thunderbolt is another Firewire. Very seldom used, high cost due to the circuitry needed.

Just curious but those of you who have Thunderbolt on your MBP's would you rather those would have been extra USB 3.0 ports instead?
Hell no. Hooks up to my thunderbolt display really nicely. And I have a second thunderbolt in the box next to it, just waiting for me to pull it out. The lack of a mess of wires is much much appreciated.
b0fh is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Parasprite
macrumors 65816

I wonder if this affects Thunderbolt -> HDMI adapters in any way.
Parasprite is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:20 PM   #13
echoout
macrumors 6502a

I've depended on Thunderbolt for quite a while on my MBP for my 10Gbe, Sonnet SSD RAID and Blackmagic cards. No problems here. I'm not updating.
echoout is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:22 PM   #14
cube
macrumors G3

Quote:

It is not another FireWire. FireWire was quite popular and not that expensive.
cube is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:29 PM   #15
smiddlehurst
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Good lord no, for certain tasks Thunderbolt is well worth the price premium especially if you're earning a living on devices that connect that way.

You're right in a way though, Thunderbolt much like Firewire will almost certainly not be the consumer standard as USB (in this case USB3) is fine for the majority of users and doesn't incur the extra costs associated with implementing the standard. But for those that need the benefits of that standard (or who can afford to pay extra for the best possible performance) it's a god send. The problem is that some (and there are dozens of examples just on these forums) don't get what it's for or why it's expensive and start complaining while the simple fact is for them it's a luxury item and a USB 3 device would meet their needs perfectly. Actually now that I think about it maybe a better analogy would be the old days of SCSI versus IDE.
smiddlehurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:29 PM   #16
TallGuyGT
macrumors member

Quote:

I use it to connect to the Thunderbolt Display, which makes for a very nice laptop docking station. The integrated Thunderbolt/power cable drives the display and connects my keyboard, printer, external hard disk and Ethernet. Very convenient.
TallGuyGT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:34 PM   #17
keigo
macrumors regular

update it and now my thunderbolt HDD cannot be detached..

Great...
keigo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:44 PM   #18
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
No. Such adapters are really Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapters, Thunderbolt isn't involved.
pgiguere1 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:45 PM   #19
j33pd0g
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to j33pd0g
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasprite View Post
I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable, and it's working great. Doubt l'll ever update my MacBook Pro. I'll probably never update iTunes either. I remember one update that wouldn't let me play iTunes content on my TV (second display, not mirrored). The next update fixed it, so that's where I'm staying.
j33pd0g is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:46 PM   #20
embraceware
macrumors newbie

I'm hoping this fixes the sound crackle that occurs when a Mac connected via Target Display Mode wakes from sleep and the random screen blackouts...

Currently using a 27" iMac with 2 other 27" iMacs connected as displays via target display mode.

Pro tip: You can use the Audio Midi Setup app to merge the speakers of each Mac connected via target display mode into a single sound card entity.
embraceware is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:49 PM   #21
arkmannj
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to arkmannj
Quote:

I would prefer the Thunderbolt, even if I don't use it often, it is more versitile, hook up displays, USB, drives, ethernet, firewire, etc.. etc...
arkmannj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:16 PM   #22
iMouse
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to iMouse
Quote:

I want to stab myself every time I am required to use USB 2 over FireWire 800. I'd imagine in 5 or so years, I'm going to feel the same way about USB 3 and ThunderBolt.
Old May 9, 2013, 05:36 PM   #23
Dave-Z
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0fh View Post
I use that nearly every day. No problems, whether I plug it in when the machine is in sleep (lid closed, plug in, open lid) or not (lid open, plug in).
Yeah, that's usually the case. At first I thought it might be a hardware issue, but there's enough people in Apple's forums and elsewhere reporting it that I think it's just a bug.
Dave-Z is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:40 PM   #24
guan
macrumors newbie

My Thunderbolt port on my mid-2011 MacBook Air 13" stopped working after I installed this update, for both Thunderbolt devices and with a display that does DisplayPort without Thunderbolt. Did anyone else experience this?

This is what it now says in System Information for that port:

Port:
Link Status: 0x7
Port Micro Firmware Version: FFFF.FF.FF
guan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 06:02 PM   #25
Robert.Walter
macrumors regular

I'm confused, my mid2011 MBA claims Tbolt Sw Udte V 1.2.1 was installed on 2012.06.21.

Is this an update that is just being rolled out to other devices now?
Robert.Walter is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion