Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old May 9, 2013, 05:34 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

14-Year-Old Discovers iPad Smart Cover Magnets Can Shut Off Implanted Defibrillators

A fourteen-year-old has discovered that the tiny magnets inside the iPad can inadvertently shut off implanted defibrillators if the device is left on the chest, such as might happen if the user falls asleep with the iPad lying on them.

Apple builds magnets into every iPad it sells for use with its Smart Cover accessory.

Gianna Chien made the discovery as part of a science fair project that didn't win first place, but she will be presenting her findings to 8,000 doctors at a meeting of the Heart Rhythm Society in Denver, reports Bloomberg.
Quote:
The research offers a valuable warning for people with implanted defibrillators, which deliver an electric shock to restart a stopped heart, said John Day, head of heart-rhythm services at Intermountain Medical Center in Murray, Utah, and chairman of the panel that reviews scientific papers to be presented at the Denver meeting.

If a person falls asleep with the iPad2 on the chest, the magnets in the cover can "accidentally turn off" the heart device, said Chien, a high school freshman in Stockton, California, whose father is a doctor. "I definitely think people should be aware. That's why I'm presenting the study."
As a safety measure, implanted defibrillators can be turned off by magnets. The magnets in the iPad are too small to affect implanted defibrillators in normal use but can affect them if held close enough to the chest.

Chien's study found that 30 percent of patients with defibrillators who put iPads on their chest were affected by the device. Most defibrillators will turn back on once the magnet is removed, but some must be reactivated manually causing a potentially life-threatening situation.

Article Link: 14-Year-Old Discovers iPad Smart Cover Magnets Can Shut Off Implanted Defibrillators
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2
daneoni
macrumors G4

Oh crap
Old May 9, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
Internaut
macrumors 6502a

Well done!
Internaut is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:35 PM   #4
komodrone
Banned

I replaced my penguin stuffed animal that I hug every night to sleep with an iPad. DON'T JUDGE ME.

on a more serious note, this is a bit troubling for those that didn't know. :O
komodrone is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #5
d4rkc4sm
macrumors 6502

this is very disheartening news
d4rkc4sm is offline   126 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:37 PM   #6
bax2003
macrumors 6502

Najbolje progutajte magnete, pa da vidiš kakvu štetu onda mogu da naprave ?!?!!? Majko, zemljo...
bax2003 is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:38 PM   #7
fraggot
macrumors 6502

magnetpacemakergate?
fraggot is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:39 PM   #8
Ray J
macrumors member

So how did this 14-year old "discover" this if it's written in Apple's safety documentation?
Ray J is offline   86 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:39 PM   #9
crisss1205
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to crisss1205
Isn't that true of any electronic device? Magnets are not good as they interfere with electro magnetic signals. Take a powerful magnet, but it on the back of your phone and watch your iPhone turn off. I really don't think this is a discovery when it is well known and documented.
Old May 9, 2013, 05:40 PM   #10
zeeklancer
macrumors regular

Nothing to see, move along.

Look, there are magnets inside of all sorts of devices. It is know that a magnet can cause troubles to those who have Pacemakers.

So now we have to just attach the word "Apple" to a commonly known subject and get all sorts of fame?

Is this oh e-mail on a phone (which is a computer) is a new thing all over again?
zeeklancer is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:41 PM   #11
bungiefan89
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rkc4sm View Post
this is very disheartening news
Old May 9, 2013, 05:41 PM   #12
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by komodrone View Post
I replaced my penguin stuffed animal that I hug every night to sleep with an iPad. DON'T JUDGE ME.

Most folks with pacemakers are warned about laptops, cell phones, magnets etc.
charlituna is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:42 PM   #13
bmclemons
macrumors newbie

Send a message via AIM to bmclemons Send a message via MSN to bmclemons Send a message via Yahoo to bmclemons Send a message via Skype™ to bmclemons
Hrm

I don't get why this is such a big study or news. Apple has already posted about it and it's not just an Apple iPad that would do this. Magnets in general or any device. Kudos to the kid who "brought about this study" but it is in fact old news and already known.
bmclemons is offline   20 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:43 PM   #14
portishead
Banned

So if you have a pacemaker, don't put magnets to your chest? What does this have to do with an iPad cover?
portishead is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:43 PM   #15
2bikes
macrumors 6502

Quote:

That didnt know they had a pacemaker? LOL! It`s like saying diabetic people not knowing what they are eating.
2bikes is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:43 PM   #16
pcguru83
macrumors 6502a

So Samsung is hiring highschool freshmen now?
pcguru83 is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:46 PM   #17
btbeme
macrumors regular

My heart stopped the first time I saw an iPad in person.
btbeme is offline   27 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:47 PM   #18
tekno
Banned

iPad may seriously harm your health.
tekno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:47 PM   #19
elvetio
macrumors member

i can only imagine how he discovered that...
elvetio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:48 PM   #20
iChrist
macrumors 65816

hello?

This is obvious. All people with pacemakers are told to be careful around magnetic objects.

In other news, 14 year old discovers that epileptics may be affected by camera flash on iPhone.

Old May 9, 2013, 05:49 PM   #21
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru83 View Post
So Samsung is hiring highschool freshmen now?
Just because he's smarter than you doesn't mean you should start accusing people now.

Oh wait. Anything "bad" said about Apple means sneaky no good Samsung is behind it.

Bad Samsung. Bad!
irDigital0l is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:49 PM   #22
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
...on a more serious note, this is a bit troubling for those that didn't know. :O
Why? People with pacemakers would be fully aware already wouldn't they, seeing as it's a safety device that is built in on purpose. That iPads have magnets like all the tablets that copy them is also well known. In fact the ads even make a feature of the magnets.

The only thing that is troubling is why Macrumors is putting such an obvious beat up on the front page.
Old May 9, 2013, 05:50 PM   #23
identity
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray J View Post
So how did this 14-year old "discover" this if it's written in Apple's safety documentation?
The Apple safety documentation has no mention of the Smart Cover. It only mentions iPads and wireless phones.
identity is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:51 PM   #24
mbh
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray J View Post
That, and it's funny how it's always Apple that winds up in the headline. Do Microsoft Surface extra-clicky keyboard cover magnets also do this, or are they using pacemaker safe magnets?
mbh is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 05:51 PM   #25
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Just because he's smarter than you doesn't mean you should start accusing people now.

Oh wait. Anything "bad" said about Apple means sneaky no good Samsung is behind it.

Bad Samsung. Bad!
Wow.
larrylaffer is offline   11 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion