Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Apple is doomed. Their smart cover obeys the laws of physics and chemistry, when they should have found a way around it. Poor quality control.

pcguru83

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Just because he's smarter than you doesn't mean you should start accusing people now.

Oh wait. Anything "bad" said about Apple means sneaky no good Samsung is behind it.

Bad Samsung. Bad!
Clearly the smiley did not convey my incredibly large amounts of sarcasm. To state the obvious, I don't think that Samsung actually hired a highschool freshmen. Just to be clear. ;)

Rikerd

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2013
So how did this 14-year old "discover" this if it's written in Apple's safety documentation?

I don't get why this is such a big study or news. Apple has already posted about it and it's not just an Apple iPad that would do this. Magnets in general or any device. Kudos to the kid who "brought about this study" but it is in fact old news and already known.

just joined to agree that it isn't a discovery when its well known that magnets do that and that it is written in the safety documentation or PDF that nobody reads.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
And people with pace-makers can't walk through regular airport security scanners.
And people who are allergic to nuts can't eat nut.
And people who are allergic to bees really need to avoid bees.

PS: If anyone on MR with a defibrillator and an iPad 2, 3 or 4 are feeling scared by this, I can help by offering you to swap with my 32GB iPad 1. The original — with no magnets.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I guess this is something you wouldn't expect to happen. Maybe they can make the magnets weaker in future models to help. At least it was recognised before anybody accidentally went and killed themselves.

Or I guess them with heart problems will have to stick with Android or Windows tablets. :p

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
I guess that's what happens when you get a 3rd-party defibrillator. Always get OEM.

Last edited:

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Just because he's smarter than you doesn't mean you should start accusing people now.

Oh wait. Anything "bad" said about Apple means sneaky no good Samsung is behind it.

Bad Samsung. Bad!

Seems like he really said something bad about pacemaker manufacturers.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I would b asking why did the child test this out, how did they find out? It's not really normal to turn ones implanted defibrillator off?

And does this not mean the magnets in my Nexus 7 and it's case can not also produce the exact same results?

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Oh please..

So is it ONLY Apple's Smart Cover - or - Apple's Smart Cover, plus ALL the other brands and rip-off's that make the same type of thing?

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
My iPad made me sterile! :eek:

Seriously. Holy crap. This is potentially a big story if it gets legs. How does Apple recall a gazillion iPads?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The Apple safety documentation has no mention of the Smart Cover. It only mentions iPads and wireless phones.
Oh please..

So is it ONLY Apple's Smart Cover - or - Apple's Smart Cover, plus ALL the other brands and rip-off's that make the same type of thing?
This is all about the iPad, not about the Smart Cover or any other cover--the iPad has magnets in it that could cause it (Smart Cover was only mentioned as one of the main things that uses those magnets in iPads).

Seems that aside from people not really reading documentation and then making "discoveries" that become news, which have been in the documentation all along, people don't even really read the news about the "discovery" properly and attribute it to something else entirely.

Adam-

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2011
What won that science fair...working long range Korean missiles ? I don't think our science fairs were like that

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.