Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old May 15, 2013, 01:26 PM   #1
smoge
macrumors regular

Aperture 4 and a new Mac Pro?

Any chance of getting a overdue update to Aperture with the long overdue update of the mac pro at WWDC 2013?
smoge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 01:30 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba
macrumors Core

Yes, any chance.
Old May 15, 2013, 02:06 PM   #3
alexkent
macrumors newbie

I doubt it. Each year there is less and less focus on hardware at WWDC. I expect Apple to do another 'almost the whole range' update / launch in the autumn like they did last year (based on Tim Cook's comments earlier this year). They'll launch the new 'pro-model' (presumably a MacPro) then.

Plus… Hate to break it to you, but Aperture as we know it is probably going away.
Apple has happily ceded the pro-app market to Adobe. Why would they bother throwing money at Aperture for the small (and constantly dissatisfied, see the complaining about the recent Adobe CC announcements) pro/prosumer photography market.

I'm hoping the huge gap since the last significant iPhoto / iMovie update means they're doing a major (read: post-ipad) overhaul of these two. And, since they added a bunch of Aperture like brush features to iPhoto on iPad, i expect the next iPhoto to be an amalgam of iPhoto and Aperture.
alexkent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:13 PM   #4
smoge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkent View Post
I'm hoping the huge gap since the last significant iPhoto / iMovie update means they're doing a major (read: post-ipad) overhaul of these two. And, since they added a bunch of Aperture like brush features to iPhoto on iPad, i expect the next iPhoto to be an amalgam of iPhoto and Aperture.
Thanks for your comments, wwdc cant come soon enough
Old May 15, 2013, 02:14 PM   #5
Bending Pixels
macrumors 6502

Adobe's announcements last week about almost all of their software going to a subscription basis only has been met with great deal of (well deserved) flack and criticism. They've alienated the hobbyist with their pricing structure. There are even indications that the CC version of Lightroom will have features added that the retail version won't get. Adobe has created their own "New Coke" moment, that will come back to bite them.

Aperture isn't dead. Apple has been hiring software engineers for the iLife/iWork/Aperture units on an ongoing basis. Personally, I believe we'll see announcements at WWDC about updates to all three.
Bending Pixels is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013, 02:32 PM   #6
smoge
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bending Pixels View Post
Personally, I believe we'll see announcements at WWDC about updates to all three.
I hope so
Old May 15, 2013, 03:18 PM   #7
mbhebsgaard
macrumors regular

Quote:
Personally, I believe we'll see announcements at WWDC about updates to all three.
Me too - about time to get some updates
Old May 15, 2013, 04:48 PM   #8
Kebabselector
macrumors 68020

Quote:
There are even indications that the CC version of Lightroom will have features added that the retail version won't get.
Adobe say it wont be different

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/
Kebabselector is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2013, 01:24 PM   #9
alexkent
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Aperture isn't dead. Apple has been hiring software engineers for the iLife/iWork/Aperture units on an ongoing basis. Personally, I believe we'll see announcements at WWDC about updates to all three.
That'd be fun. But I don't buy it, WWDC is for developers (and it's the hottest developer event in the world right now). Those 5000 developers are not going there to hear about Aperture or iLife. They're straining at the bit to hear about iOS7 (and to a lesser extent OSX 10.9).

One thing, I said before that WWDC is less and less hardware… but it seems like some new MacBook Air's, at least, will be released.

So maybe I'll be proven all wrong
alexkent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013, 02:29 PM   #10
maflynn

I have no expectations on seeing any news on AP4 from apple this WWDC. They'll have a full schedule talking about iOS and the iPhone.
Old May 18, 2013, 05:27 PM   #11
Badrottie
macrumors 68020

I hope they can update iWork so I can ditch Microsoft Office completely.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store